The motorcycle Mythbusters episode in full

Mythbusters...busted

Posted: 4 October 2011
by Visordown News


THE newly shown episode of US pop-science show Mythbusters is sure to provide plenty of ammo for the anti-bike brigade – apparently proving that bikes are actually more polluting than cars.

It's not quite the full story, of course. Bikes aren't legally forced to meet emissions restrictions as strict as those for cars, so fitting them with expensive, heavy, bulky and power-sapping emissions-reduction kit would be a stupid move for any manufacturer hoping to be competitive. And in future bikes will be forced to meet similar emissions restrictions, at which point their lower fuel consumption and reduced CO2 emissions (the only emissions test they win on in this Mythbusters test) will make them 'greener' than cars.

Perhaps more important, and missed in the testing procedure here, is the fact that bikes spendfar less time stuck in traffic – to complete the same journey as a car, they can be running for a significantly shorter time, further reducing their emissions.

Anyway, if you can't wait for the proper English version of the episode (we get a voice-over that's less cringe-worthy to British ears) a quick YouTube search will come up with the original.

Of course, it might get deleted once Discovery spot it, but why not try above.

Previous article
Kawasaki pitch new ZZR1400 against Hayabusa
Next article
Streetfighter 848 on-track onboard video


 
TwitterStumbleUponFacebookDiggRedditGoogle


Discuss this story

Of course, the fact that a motorbike uses one fifth (ie. 80% less) of the materials, with attendant environmental considerations, than even a small car is not taken into account ... eg. How much energy does it take to create a 200kg bike vs a 1000kg car?

Posted: 04/10/2011 at 13:48

1000kg? can you even buy a car that light anymore? they get more bloated every year.

Posted: 04/10/2011 at 19:10

The show says that 90% of emissions are Co2 and they show clearly that bikes produce far less Co2, yet they choose to focus on the other 10% of emissions and that is enough to decide the myth is busted. It's a very weak conclusion based on their own evidence and quite revealing about mythbusters themselves. They are not scientists and it seems we can't trust what they say.

Posted: 05/10/2011 at 03:39

Exactly, bikes spend far less time stuck in traffic, exactly. And what THC says there above too, all true.

Posted: 05/10/2011 at 06:58

To be honest, anything on Discovery Channel is essentially enough to make me walk away shaking my head, what was on after this?

Damn nature, you scary!!!! Followed by killer nazi sharks, the truth.

Posted: 05/10/2011 at 09:24

Talkback: The motorcycle Mythbusters episode in full