BRITAIN'S Sam Sunderland finished third in stage seven of the 2017 Dakar and extended his overall lead to nearly 20 minutes.
Chilean Husqvarna rider Pablo Quintanilla lost ground to KTM’s Sunderland (pictured) on a tough day in sand dunes, while American Ricky Brabec, riding for Honda, scored his first ever Dakar stage win, beating team-mate Paulo Gonçalves into second place.
A fall for Yamaha’s Adrien van Beveren cost him just over six minutes, leaving him third in overall standings.
Standings after stage 7
1. Sam Sunderland (KTM) 17h28m53s
2. Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) +17m45s
3. Adrien van Beveren (Yamaha) +22m16s
4. Gerard Farres (KTM) +28m36s
5. Matthias Walkner (KTM) +34m17s
6. Xavier de Soultrait (Yamaha) +38m33s
7. Pierre-Alexandre Renet (Husqvarna) +1h2m37s
8. Paulo Gonçalves (Honda) +1h5m22s
9. Joan Barreda (Honda) +1h14m47s
10. Diego Duplessis (KTM) +1h15m36s