BRIT Sam Sunderland retained his lead in the Dakar yesterday despite finishing 18 minutes behind Michael Metge, who celebrated his first stage win only to be hit with a one-hour penalty.
The penalty handed the stage victory to Metge’s team-mate Joan Barreda, his third win of the 2017 Dakar and 17th of his career.
Sunderland (pictured) and his KTM team-mate Matthias Walkner both strayed off track during the gruelling stage, featuring 449 timed kilometres, while Husqvarna’s Pablo Quintanilla suffered a fall which forced the Chilean to retire form the rally.
Standings after stage 10
1. Sam Sunderland (KTM) 28h7m59s
2. Matthias Walkner (KTM) +30m1s
3. Gerard Farres (KTM) +38m43s
4. Adrien van Beveren (Yamaha) +41m57s
5. Joan Barreda (Honda) +53m47s
6. Pierre-Alexandre Renet (Husqvarna) +55m24s
7. Paulo Gonçalves (Honda) +1h0m11s
8. Xavier de Soultrait (Yamaha) +1h32m55s
9. Michael Metge (Honda) +1h35m33s
10. Franco Caimi (Honda) +1h37m57s