2013 replacement for BMW's best-selling R1200GS looks familiar...
BMW might have changed virtually everything about its best-selling R1200GS (no, not R1250) for 2013 but it still keeps a familiar look.
The new bike gets a 125bhp water-cooled boxer twin, semi-active suspension, traction control and five riding modes that change engine mapping, suspension and the traction control settings.
The engine in fact keeps the 1170cc capacity of the old bike, but uses a combination of air and liquid cooling to allow more power and improvements to emissions/economy. The electronic/semi-active suspension is an option, so low-end versions will use normal dampers.
Monobloc Brembo brakes and ABS are standard, though, and the rear suspension is now an “Evo” version of the old Paralever set up, with the shaft drive and swingarm on the left hand side rather than the right.
No news on price yet, but BMW has confirmed that the UK will be offered an exclusive R1200GS TE (touring edition) version with many factory-fit options as standard. However, at the moment there's no sign of an Adventure version, which in the UK normally accounts for close to half the sales of GSes.
Below is a brief summary of the bike's key points:
• Completely newly designed engine for top-level riding dynamics within the travel enduro segment.
• Capacity 1170 cc, rated output 92 kW (125 bhp) at 7700 rpm and a maximum torque of 125 Nm at 6500 rpm.
• Cylinder heads with vertical through-flow for increased efficiency and performance.
• Compact air/water cooling for optimum heat management.
• Basic engine with compact, light and yet rigidity-optimised crankshaft.
• Vertically separated case in open deck construction.
• 6-speed gearbox integrated in engine housing, including wet clutch with anti-hopping function and reduced lever operation force.
• New intake system for optimum output and torque with 52 mm throttle valve diameter.
• E-gas for improved ridability, running smoothness and special functions.
• Innovative exhaust gas system with electronically controlled exhaust flap for optimum performance characteristics and an earthy boxer sound.
• Freely selectable riding modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” with three different electromotive throttle actuator settings in conjunction with ASC (Automatic Stability Control), ABS and ASC settings for off-road riding as well as different mode-specific Dynamic ESA settings (option ex works).
• New suspension with torsionally stiff tubular steel bridge frame and bolt-on rear frame.
• Optimised lightweight cardan shaft drive now running on the left-hand side.
• Newly developed and optimised Telelever at front and EVO Paralever at rear for an even more precise ride feel.
• Refined master chassis geometry data and long swingarm for excellent traction.
• Optimised seating width and position, and adjustable handlebars for even greater comfort.
• Optimised ground reach for rider (inner leg length).
• Tyre/wheel dimensions of 120/70 R19 at front and 170/60 R17 at rear as a world first, tailored specially to the R 1200 GS.
• Revised BMW Motorrad brake system with radially mounted Brembo Monobloc brake calipers at front and 2-piston floating caliper with enlarged brake disc at rear (Ø 276mm, previously 265mm).
• BMW Motorrad Integral ABS as standard.
• Semiactive suspension Dynamic ESA (ex works option).
• Main headlight with optimised light efficiency and LED daytime running light (ex works option).
• World’s first motorcycle with LED main headlight featuring integrated daytime running light (ex works option).
• New vehicle electrical system with partitioning of functions.
• Extended electric switch units.
• Electronic cruise control (ex works option).
• Preparation for navigation unit with Multi-Controller to operate the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV (ex works option).
• Windshield with one-hand operation for excellent wind and weather protection.
• Seat with multiple adjustment functions for perfect ergonomics.
• Number plate carriers quick to dismount for off-road riding.
• Increased ground clearance (+ 8 mm)
• New instrument cluster with on-board computer as standard. PRO on-board computer as an option.
• Four main paint finishes to choose from: Alpine White, Racing Red, Blue Fire and Thunder Grey Metallic.
You will be able to see this bike at the NEC Motorcycle Live from 24th November to 2nd December.
Posted: 02/10/2012 at 12:06
Posted: 02/10/2012 at 15:52
Posted: 02/10/2012 at 19:00
Posted: 05/10/2012 at 15:57
Posted: 06/10/2012 at 23:23
Posted: 09/11/2012 at 03:46
Posted: 17/04/2013 at 06:28
Become a fan of Visordown
Follow us on twitter
Other Immediate Media Sites
Our eCommerce Platform
© Immediate Media Company Ltd 2012. This website is owned and published by Immediate Media Company Limited. www.immediatemedia.co.uk