BMW HAS revealed details of its new HP4 Race superbike.
The machine was billed as BMW’s "most exciting and exclusive motorcycle" ever when it was revealed in prototype form at last year’s Milan show and the specs suggest just that.
It makes a claimed 215hp and weighs just 171kg fuelled – lighter than current World Superbikes - thanks to a full carbon-fibre frame and wheels.
The HP4 Race has been developed specifically for the track, with engine, electronics, brakes and suspension technology at the same level as current factory superbike racing machines, according to BMW.
The frame alone weighs just 7.8kg.
The 999cc in-line-four engine is based on the S1000RR's but tuned to make 16hp more peak power at 13,900rpm.
Peak torque is 88lbft at 10,500rpm, up from 83lbft.
A limited run of 750 units is set to go on sale from September priced at £68,000 each.
BMW said: 'Developed purely for the race track, the HP4 RACE comes with a World Superbike spec engine, producing 215hp. Such a high-spec engine demands only the best suspension and the HP4 RACE comes equipped with Öhlins FGR 300 upside-down forks and TTX 36 GP rear suspension – the same as used in both World Superbike and MotoGP racing series. Brembo GP4 PR monoblock brake calipers also come straight from the world stage and ensure optimal braking performance.
An extensive package of electronic controls are viewed and controlled through the 2D dash, with data logger included. Dynamic Traction Control, Engine Braking and Wheelie Control can be programmed for each gear, according to rider preference, enabling the enormous riding potential of the HP4 Race to be fully unlocked.
Highlights of the new BMW HP4 RACE:
- Carbon fibre main frame in monocoque construction weighing just 7.8 kilograms.
- Racing engine at world championship level with an output of 158 kW (215 hp) at 13,900 rpm and a maximum torque of 120 Nm at 10 000 rpm.
- Self-supporting carbon fibre rear frame with three-stage height adjustment function.
- Carbon fibre wheels offering a weight reduction of some 30 per cent as compared to light alloy forged wheels.
- Öhlins FGR 300 upside-down fork.
- Öhlins TTX 36 GP spring strut.
- Brembo GP4 PR monoblock brake calipers with 320 T-type racing steel brake disks (thickness: 6.75 mm) at the front.
- Close-ratio racing gearbox with adapted transmission ratios.
- Weight-optimised electrical system featuring light lithium-ion battery with 5 Ah.
- 2D dashboard and 2D data recording including logger.
- Dynamic Traction Control DTC (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels).
- Engine Brake EBR (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels).
- Wheelie Control (programmable for selected gears).
- Launch Control.
- Pit Lane Limiter.
- Light trim parts made of carbon fibre with snap fasteners.
- Paint finish in BMW HP Motorsport colours.
- Production run of 750 units, each individually crafted.
- UK price of £68,000 and available from September 2017.
- Bikes will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and can be ordered at all BMW Motorrad Centres in the UK.'
The HP4 Race debuted today at the Auto Shanghai 2017 show in China.