Superfast Texan heads the grid for the second consecutive race
The Texan dominated both of the qualifying rounds, showing the skills that's already made the 24-year-old three-time AMA Superbike Champion.
Jakub Smrz, on a privateer Guandalini Ducati 1098R, took second spot on the grid, ahead of Max Biaggi on the new Aprilia RSV4. The front Noriyuki Haga (Ducati Xerox) completes the front row for Saturday's race. Ben Spies:
"The most important thing is being on the front row with this many fast guys. I almost ruined my lap but we eventually got the job done. Race pace is looking promising, which is important but I feel sure it's going to be a hard race tomorrow. You still have to search for the speed and find the limit in Superpole, I don't know anything different, it's the only one I've done but it's working well for me so far."
Jakub Smrz (Guandalini Ducati): "We have made a really good weekend, now we still have the race to do, but we have a good set-up and for us the times are very positive. I was also working well in Superpole because there wasn't much traffic, I didn't catch anyone and I was able to do my best."
Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing): "I'm very happy again to be fighting for the pole position, I think we did a very good job today. We tried to find the best set-up on both bikes, and I'm going to chose the one that feels the most comfortable. I have already made my tyre choice and feel quite comfortable so thanks again to my squad, they are great guys."
Noriyuki Haga (Ducati Xerox): "It was a much better Superpole for me than in Australia and I am very happy to be on the front row of the grid. We had a little problem today but managed to sort that and now I am sure that tomorrow we will go very well in the races."
1. Spies B. (USA) Yamaha YZF R1 1'57.280;
2. Smrz J. (CZE) Ducati 1098R 1'57.384;
3. Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 1'57.694;
4. Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R 1'57.850;
5. Sykes T. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 1'57.878;
6. Nakano S. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 1'58.755;
7. Checa C. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 1'59.090;
8. Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R 2'00.021;
9. Rolfo R. (ITA) Honda CBR1000RR 1'58.734;
10. Fabrizio M. (ITA) Ducati 1098R 1'58.919;
11. Laconi R. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 1'59.044;
12. Kiyonari R. (JPN) Honda CBR1000RR 1'59.055;
13. Parkes B. (AUS) Kawasaki ZX 10R 1'59.074;
14. Kagayama Y. (JPN) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 1'59.134;
15. Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 RR 1'59.435;
16. Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 1'59.454;
17. Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'59.713;
18. Haslam L. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 1'59.882;
19. Neukirchner M. (GER) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 1'59.926;
20. Hill T. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 2'00.108
Become a fan of Visordown
Follow us on twitter
Other Immediate Media Sites
Our eCommerce Platform
© Immediate Media Company Ltd 2012. This website is owned and published by Immediate Media Company Limited. www.immediatemedia.co.uk