Catch up with the weekend's racing with all the results, championship standings and rider comment.
The victory was the Texan's third WSB win in a row; Spies topped the WSB podium for the first time at Phillip Island just a fortnight ago.
In an identical result to Race One at Losail earlier today, Noriyuki Haga (Ducati) and Max Biaggi (Aprilia), took second and third places on the podium.
Ben Spies (Yamaha World Superbike):
"Nori set a really good pace the first few laps. We were lacking just a little in acceleration and it was hard to race with him, but I put my head down and closed up, kept the same rhythm and passed him. It was a better race for me than the first one because I could concentrate on my lines, but it's going to be hard making up points on him if he keeps finishing second. It was a perfect weekend, they're not always going to be like that but we'll take them when we can."
Noriyuki Haga (Ducati Xerox):
"I am really tired but happy for the result in race 2. When Ben passed me, I tried to stay with him but he is very fast. In one second he was going to 100 metres so I could not catch him! We made a good job, and I am leading the championship. Today, for me, Ben is ten years younger than me so that's why I lose!"
Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing):
"It was a great race, we confirmed our potential and the feeling we have on this track, which has always been good to me. I think the bike works well, we still have to improve but we are very pleased with the result. For sure we know these guys are a little bit quicker, they run hard and deserve what they did, but I am confident to improve during the season and get some good points."
Race Two Results:
1. Spies B. (USA) Yamaha YZF R1 36'02.126 (161,241 kph);
2. Haga N. (JPN) Ducati 1098R 1.274;
3. Biaggi M. (ITA) Aprilia RSV4 1.622;
4. Kiyonari R. (JPN) Honda CBR1000RR 1.845;
5. Sykes T. (GBR) Yamaha YZF R1 5.117;
6. Neukirchner M. (GER) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 9.512;
7. Nakano S. (JPN) Aprilia RSV4 9.514;
8. Rea J. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 12.621;
9. Corser T. (AUS) BMW S1000 RR 13.842;
10. Xaus R. (ESP) BMW S1000 RR 13.884;
11. Haslam L. (GBR) Honda CBR1000RR 13.888;
12. Byrne S. (GBR) Ducati 1098R 14.913;
13. Checa C. (ESP) Honda CBR1000RR 15.762;
14. Laconi R. (FRA) Ducati 1098R 15.920;
15. Kagayama Y. (JPN) Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 19.565
World Superbike Championship Standings (after 2 of 14 rounds):
1. Haga 85;
2. Spies 75;
3. Neukirchner 40;
4. Biaggi 38;
5. Haslam 36;
6. Sykes 32;
7. Laconi 30;
8. Rea 30;
9. Nakano 27;
10. Kagayama 25.
World Superbikes Manufacturers Championship:
1. Ducati 85;
2. Yamaha 81;
3. Honda 51;
4. Aprilia 41;
5. Suzuki 40;
6. BMW 27;
7. Kawasaki 2.
Posted: 19/03/2009 at 00:17
Posted: 20/03/2009 at 23:19
Posted: 20/03/2009 at 23:54
Posted: 21/03/2009 at 15:39
Become a fan of Visordown
Follow us on twitter
Other Immediate Media Sites
Our eCommerce Platform
© Immediate Media Company Ltd. 2013 This website is owned and published by Immediate Media Company Limited. www.immediatemedia.co.uk