ZZR 600 STARTING PROBLEM

STARTING PROBLEM

4 messages
25/06/2012 at 10:59

Hi can anybody help as my zzr 600 startermotor carries on running even after bike has started

25/06/2012 at 11:59

Is it still energised (i.e. starter relay sticking on) or just not dissengaging?

arrrf.
25/06/2012 at 14:54

Hi tappy I have tested relay according to haynes manual I get 0.8ohms when starter is engaged I shouldn't get any so I think I will replace it

30/06/2012 at 15:01

Ummm, sounds like an odd test to me. If the solenoid is energised, you wouldn't be able to take a resistance measurement. Also, many cheapish multi-meters only read down to about 0.7 ohms, so this might be a false reading.

Instead, get someone to start the bike for you, while you have your hand on the body of the starter relay. As they press the button you will feel it click. When they let go of the button you should feel it click off. You can also check this electrically.

Connect a voltmeter across the input & output of the relay, with the "+" lead on the battery side. Initially the meter should read 12V. When the starter button is pressed  the meter should read close to zero. When the button is released it would normally return to 12V across the relay, but depending on how the motor's wired it *might* be acting as a generator. Do the test and let me know what readings you get.

arrrf.
Your say
email image
4 messages