Transmission Noise Help!

13 messages
18/02/2006 at 16:09
Hey everyone, i just registered on the forum so hello to you all!

I have a 2004 Yamaha FZ6-N, running fine appart from an irritating noise seemingly coming from the front sprocket area! its like a whirring noise that only seems to come when im on the throttle, soon as i come off the throttle it stops. also i can feel more vibrations through the bars and footrests than usual and my fuel consumption seems to have gone up so theres some wasted energy somewhere!

At first i thought it was the chain worn out, so i replaced the chain and sprockets and still it persists!

i have been through all the obvious things, chain tension, wheel allignment, gunk in the sprocket cover. everything is how it should be!

i have heard of a few other people having this problem but no-one seems to have an answer! i thought maybe it is the output shaft bearing but there doesnt seem to be any play in that, although i havn't ruled that out yet.

does anyone have any clue what the hell im on about?
18/02/2006 at 17:53
Chain wrongly adjusted,too tight?
18/02/2006 at 19:20
sure your exhaust isnt leaking?
as its on the throttle noise.
19/02/2006 at 09:48
hiya matey has the engine been taken out at anytime? if you get a noise from the engine sprocket area and you say you get vibration from the footpegs this can be caused by the bolts holding the engine in the frame are loose,have you checked the engine sprocked and rear wheel sprocked are aligned with each other.
oh welcome to visordown
19/02/2006 at 11:11
As the noise is only apparent when you applying a load to the driveshaft have you checked for any freeplay, movement from the driveshaft. Grab the front sprocket and give it a few good tugs and make sure there isnt excessive freeplay.

Also, you sure its not just the chain running along the plastic guides/rollers if any ?

It might just be "one of those things" associated with that model of bike.

********************************DISCLAIMER*******************************************
I accept no responsibility for profuse swearing, skinned knuckles, spontaneous motorcycle combustion or your pregnant teenage daughter.

My South America travel blog: www.touringted.com
19/02/2006 at 11:11
As the noise is only apparent when you applying a load to the driveshaft have you checked for any freeplay, movement from the driveshaft. Grab the front sprocket and give it a few good tugs and make sure there isnt excessive freeplay.

Also, you sure its not just the chain running along the plastic guides/rollers if any ?

It might just be "one of those things" associated with that model of bike.

********************************DISCLAIMER*******************************************
I accept no responsibility for profuse swearing, skinned knuckles, spontaneous motorcycle combustion or your pregnant teenage daughter.

19/02/2006 at 12:59
thanx folks for your suggestions! i didnt think to check the engine mounts zxr2, i'll do that. i checked for freeplay and it feels ok, last night i loosened the chain some more and it seems to have made it quieter, although the noise is still there!

im not sure about how ive had the chain fitted tho, i took it to be done at a workshop and they just used a hammer to mushroom the pins on the soft link, is this ok for a bike capable of 80-90bhp? im thinking of getting a new softlink from hien gerike and putting it on myself, a friend of mine has the propper tool. do you reccomend this or am i just being paranoid (again)?
19/02/2006 at 13:48
vaanen wrote
thanx folks for your suggestions! i didnt think to check the engine mounts zxr2, i'll do that. i checked for freeplay and it feels ok, last night i loosened the chain some more and it seems to have made it quieter, although the noise is still there!

im not sure about how ive had the chain fitted tho, i took it to be done at a workshop and they just used a hammer to mushroom the pins on the soft link, is this ok for a bike capable of 80-90bhp? im thinking of getting a new softlink from hien gerike and putting it on myself, a friend of mine has the propper tool. do you reccomend this or am i just being paranoid (again)?

The link should be ok if its sufficiently mushroomed. Does make me wonder why they dont have the proper tool for doing this though

19/02/2006 at 23:41
My money would be on the output shaft bearing.Some do it from new .
20/02/2006 at 17:45
really? im beginning to think that may be the case also. i had the cover off and poked around with the front sprocket and it seemed to be pretty solid, no lateral or side to side movement! the sound does sound to me as if a bearing is gone somewhere! Do you know if this is a warranty job? i've got a few months left before it runs out! if not how much is it gonna cost me?
20/02/2006 at 21:35
If its still in warrenty then get the bike into your dealers asap and demand they look at it.

If its under warrenty then it shouldnt cost you a bean.

22/02/2006 at 00:23
Take it back and ask the dealer,although i suspect they will say its normal transmission noise.If they do ask to ride any other Fazer 6 they have to compare Ive had a few new type Fazer 6's come past me while ive been in the car on the motorway with the window open a little and can hear the whine.Some Hornet 600's do it as well.Dont think all the Fazers do it though.
www.foc-u.co.uk might be worth a look
09/03/2013 at 06:51

never had this problem on my yamaha fz6n 2004   mines due for new rotors ie new front discs two new disc pads the bike has done 123000 kilometers anyone done this on same bike

Your say
email image
13 messages