Suzuki GN125/DR125 Wiring Problem

16 messages
12/04/2008 at 14:39

Hi, I have a 1994 GN125 into which i have fitted a DR125 engine, the wiring for the cdi doesn't match up as the dr engine has six wires coming from the generator and cdi pickup but the cdi ignitor has only two, i have a haynes manual but i'm not very good at electrical stuff.

Was told that I needed to get a DR125 CDI and wiring loom, if that is the case, do you have any idea where I could find one?

thanks in advance for your help.

12/04/2008 at 20:16

It's usually advisable to run an engine with a CDI unit designed for it so that the ignition advance curve matches what the engine needs for safe performance. I don't see that you'd need a DR125 wiring loom tho'.

Generally you should find that three of the six wires are very similar colour - often all yellow or all white. These should be the generator output and will need to connect to the regulator / rectifier input.

Of the remaining three wires two should be from the ignition trigger coils and go to the CDI unit.

The final wire could be a common earth for the two triggers, or possibly (but pretty unlikely) the wire to the neutral switch.

What colour are the wires coming from the DR125 engine?

What bike / engine do you have the haynes manual for? Rather than buying a wiring loom for a DR125 and trying to graft it onto the GN, I'd buy haynes manuals (off ebay or similar) for both bikes and match the wires together.

Still might need a DR125 CDI unit though.. 

arrrf.
Edited: 12/04/2008 at 20:17
12/04/2008 at 20:32

I have already conected the 3 yellow wires and there are 6 more from the engine, 1 of which (black/white) is the earth.

I do have the haynes manuals for both bikes which shows that there is a blue and a green on the GN cdi and from the DR engine there is a : black/white, blue/red, red/green, red, red/black, white.

how do i work out which go where?
cheers

12/04/2008 at 23:18

So in the DR Haynes manual do all these 6 wires go to the CDI unit? If so, then it's looking like you'll need a DR CDI unit. If not, then where do they go?

arrrf.
13/04/2008 at 12:44
Yeah, they all go to the cdi unit.
13/04/2008 at 18:23

Reckon you'll need a CDI unit off ebay / breakers then, but would've thought you could graft this into the GN wiring harness easily enough.

Mind you, that's without seeing the two wiring diagrams

arrrf.
22/04/2012 at 23:21

Hi, I having a problem with my SUZUKI GN125, 1996, when riding for a while the Engine it very hot, and it making noise from the vale parts, I think it get ting hot may cause by the Inition maybe spart early or late.

any one know how to adjust the Ignition and where it is. please help.

thank you

24/04/2012 at 23:43

If it's getting very hot and noisy then the first thing to check is that it's got plenty of fresh, clean oil of the correct grade in it. It's also worth taking off the rocker covers briefly with the engine running to check that there's plenty of oil getting up there - this will give you a good idea of whether there's a healthy oil flow around the engine generally.

Is the exhaust header pipe blowing? Is it correctly seated into the cylinder head with a proper exhaust gasket? If this was leaking near the head then it might cause slightly hotter running, and would sound very "clacky" near the cylinder head.

The ignition timing isn't adjustable - it's fixed by the position of the two ignition pulse coils. If one of these isn't working however, then the ignition won't advance correctly as the engine revs increase. This could also cause hot running, but would be accompanied by poor performance. To check this, go borrow a timing strobe and get someone to show you how to use it.

If there's plenty of oil flow and the exhaust header's OK, and the ignition is advancing correctly, then it might be fuel starvation causing lean running. You'd need to check the tank, fuel filter (in the tank), fuel lines, carb float bowl, float valve and jets for debris and clogging, and correct set up.

Does it have any other symptoms? What makes you think it's getting too hot? How long does it take to get  hot, and doing what kind of riding? What kind of noise does the valve gear make and when does it start making it?

arrrf.
14/03/2013 at 21:18
14/03/2013 at 21:42
Need dr 125 2009 wiring diagram ?????
14/03/2013 at 23:35

http://s675.beta.photobucket.com/user/hmmmnz2/media/suzuki/gn125.jpg.html

Not entirely sure of the year, but as it has appears to have a gear position switch and a throttle position sensor I'd be thinking fairly recent. It doesn't seem to have a key, but I think it would be:

1: Ignition switch
2: Clocks & idiot lights
3: Headlight switch
4: Kill switch
5: Starter switch
6: Front brake switch
7: Diode pair for Clutch-switch / sidestand switch / neutral switch Interlock circuit
8: Throttle position sensor - I'm surprised the GN has one but that's what it looks like
9: Ignition coil
10: Rectifier regulator
11: Relay for Clutch-switch / sidestand switch / neutral switch Interlock circuit
12: CDI
13: Rear brake switch
14: Flasher unit
15: Right rear indicator
16: Tail light & brake light
17: Left rear indicator
18: Main fuse
19: Battery
20: Starter relay
21: Starter motor
22: Alternator
23: Gear position switch
24: Side-stand switch
25: Clutch switch
26: Indicator switch
27: Horn switch
28: Hi / Lo beam switch
29: Horn
30: Front left indicator
31: Position / pilot / side light bulb
32: Headlight bulb
33: Front right indicator

Hope this helps

arrrf.
14/03/2013 at 23:54
Thanks a lot will try 2mora
15/03/2013 at 00:11
NH m8 I've jst checked actually jst looked at egnition wires there's 8 wires cuming from the egnition barrol red , orange n red ,orange,brown,grey,blue n white,black n white,orange n white sorry the orange n red is actually orange n yellow I'm lost ????????
15/03/2013 at 00:28

Ah, bum - sounds like quite a different wiring layout then. I'll see what else I can find.

arrrf.
16/03/2013 at 00:43
Thanks alot its a efi model if it helps
16/03/2013 at 17:21

Sorry mate - been totally unable to find anything that looks suitable. What problem are you trying to sort?

arrrf.
Your say
email image
16 messages