Starter problem - Cagiva Canyon 500

4 messages
doc
08/06/2006 at 09:09
Hello chaps, I have a query on behalf of a mate.

From how she describes it, it appears that the starter on her Cagiva Canyon isn't disengaging after the engine is running.
So my question is, does anyone know what type of starter clutch mechanism these bikes have? If anyone has a manual or diagram of the starter assembly that would be even better!

Thanks.
08/06/2006 at 11:58
Doc, could be a tricky one this, I have never touched one but a couple of collegues had one in there workshop with a starter clutch problem. . . . not 100% with the specifics but it turned out that starter clutches are right up there with rocking horse dung & hens teeth. They had the bike for a long time with no luck on finding a replacment and that included trying beakers in Italy via a friend of theirs.
16/02/2010 at 16:14
That can be quite normal, when the ignition is turned off and the revs drop, as it comes up to compression for the final time the engine spins backwards and engages the sprag clutch that causes the starter gear to engage. Any worse than that and it's likely to be the sprag clutch locked up. theothermechanic@hotmail.com for more info.
17/06/2012 at 22:30

Hi, I am struggling to find a starter motor, mine is dead after 10k.

I have replaced the full alterrnator, so this is the last bit to get on the road..

Any ideas which starter or engine might fit as a replacement, I could sell the alternator to offset the cost of a motor.

As regards the clutch, take the alternator off polish the sprags with emery paper so theres no burres.put them back in the right direction and don't stretch the spring 

Cheers - Layton

Your say
email image
4 messages