Sealed Batteries vs. Unsealed...

17 messages
26/12/2005 at 18:19
Hi,

My Speed Triple is not holding it's charge. If you leave it for mroe than a day or two you come back to an almost flat bike. It's fine if you ride it for a mile or two, but with a gap of more than a day it dies again...

This says to me knackered battery? Any other things you can suggest?

Right...so if I'm gonna need a new battery, I can get sealed or unsealed in the correct size (I think, only website I've found so far doesn't show details). I know the basic difference between them, but are there any practical reasons to choose one over the other?

Cheers.

The Man in Pink
T'was Mr. Dazzle, he IS the Mr. T of us lot. - Irn Bru Freak
26/12/2005 at 18:24
Didn't think the unsealed variety were still available. They used to be cheaper because you have to maintain the acid level etc.
I my experience the unsealed will come back from the dead handier,the sealed for life are a bit touchier.
Personally I'd buy a SFL and stick it on an optimate every time it's home.
Last you for years
26/12/2005 at 18:28
S'got an unsealed (original) at the moment as far as I can tell.

Triumph switched to sealed later on, but reversed the terminals as far as I can tell from me quick net search...

The Man in Pink
26/12/2005 at 18:32
Next Q...

From what I can see everwhere sells the same batteries! YTX9-BS, YTX12-BS and YTX14-BS...I suppose that refers to the number of amp hours?

Have I missed something, or are there only 3 major battery types on sale? All I know (from the handbook) is that my bike needs a 14Ah battery, so a YTX14-BS would fit?

The Man in Pink
26/12/2005 at 18:44
The amp rate is important,but so is the physical size of the battery,which may be model specific
26/12/2005 at 19:51
Yeah, that's where I'm stuck.

I know a 12V 14Ah battery will work, but I don't know if it'll fit...are they all the same size or are there alot of shapes/sizes?

The Man in Pink
26/12/2005 at 20:15
There are a lot of different shapes and sizes I'm afraid.
27/12/2005 at 02:00
@ Dazzle,
the codes you listed refer to the size of the battery, and the location of the poles. Mine is a ytx-9bs, and it's 8AH, so it can't be to do with that I imagine? Good news is that your existing battery will have a code printed on it to tell you what it is. Get the sealed one, do you really want to have to take it out the bike and remove the caps when you charge it, testing and checking the level of the acid? Or just leave it in there til it needs replacing again - even a cheap one will do you - i put a cheap sealed battery in my CB-1 and it lasted from mid-winter 2001 til mid-winter 2004, so two whole and two bits-of winters.
27/12/2005 at 18:06
I used to top up the 'sealed' batteries on my old jam-jars and get another couple of years out of them.
27/12/2005 at 18:46
Well I got one...had to get an 'unsealed' 'cause that's the only one which will fit in the hole!

I used inverted commas because while it comes dry from the shop, once you've put the acid in you can't re-open it. So that would be a 'sealed once you've used it' battery I guess

Being a clever chap () I've fashioned a duct tape 'handle' on it, after the shannanigans with getting the old one out!

The Man in Pink
27/12/2005 at 19:14
When you fully charge the battery, put a meter accross it and check the voltage. A healthy battery should put out about 12.6V+ when fully charged.

Also, with the bike running, check the battery again. The voltage should jump up a couple of volts to about 13-14v. This shows the alt is working properly.

To be honest, if its going flat in 2 days without use, then a cell or 2 will be dead and the battery should be disgarded. Im asuming you've charged it correctly though as a high amp charger can damage a battery.

Sealed batterys are superior to old style batteries for many reasons which i cant be arsed going into so stick with those. Also look at gel batteries.

For now though, dump the dead battery you have and get a nice new QUALITY battery, not a cheap 20 quid piece of crap.

Also, have you got anything on the bike with could be draining the battery ? GPS, heated grips, alarm ??

********************************DISCLAIMER*******************************************
I accept no responsibility for profuse swearing, skinned knuckles, spontaneous motorcycle combustion or your pregnant teenage daughter.

My South America travel blog: www.touringted.com
27/12/2005 at 19:29
Bog standard electrical system...

Got the repalcement from Hein Gericke today, £59.

The Man in Pink
27/12/2005 at 20:57
I was in there today too. Swapped my Pathan gloves for ones without ripped thermal liners, my christmas knee-high thermals for ones in my size and took advantage of their oil, oil-filter and air-filter deal on behalf of my dad's RRW blade. £25 for all that? Don't mind if I do! Course it's all pattern filters and Motul oil but it's better than not changing that stuff on a bike you just bought and don't really know the history of.
28/12/2005 at 14:34
Well that wasn't so simple after all.

Got it all filled, charged and ready to go. Took the old battery out...and the new one won't fit! Wrong physical size, terminals are the other way around and it's 12Ah (even though it's an FTX14 ).

Hein Gericke say (on the phone) they 'don't know what they can do' since I've already filled the battery. I didn't ask for an 'FTX14' battery though, I asked for a 'T509 Speed Triple Battery' and the bloke looked it up in the book...

Going over tomorrow.

The Man in Pink
28/12/2005 at 15:17
Mr. Dazzle wrote
Well that wasn't so simple after all.

Got it all filled, charged and ready to go. Took the old battery out...and the new one won't fit! Wrong physical size, terminals are the other way around and it's 12Ah (even though it's an FTX14 ).

Hein Gericke say (on the phone) they 'don't know what they can do' since I've already filled the battery. I didn't ask for an 'FTX14' battery though, I asked for a 'T509 Speed Triple Battery' and the bloke looked it up in the book...

Going over tomorrow.

Do not accept ANYTHING apart from a complete refund or exchange. You asked for a triple battery and they didnt give you one. You are well within your "sale of goods act" rights. They have to supply you with the product which is "fit for the purpose it was sold for". If they're stuborn insist on talking to manager, failing him, head office. Head office will just authorise a replacement as its less agro. Failing that... Citizens advice (although it wont go that far)

********************************DISCLAIMER*******************************************
I accept no responsibility for profuse swearing, skinned knuckles, spontaneous motorcycle combustion or your pregnant teenage daughter.

My South America travel blog: www.touringted.com
28/12/2005 at 16:58
According to this, there is only one battery for the Striple - YB14L-A2, same as for most of the Triumph range.

Shouldn't have been too difficult for even HG to get that right, unless your bike is in some way non-standard!

<edit> Striple 955 seems to use a different one from the rest -
www.motorbikebatteries.co.uk/
www.2ndbite.com/page197.html

Dreaming of life in a modern secular democracy. If you find one, please let me know. Apart from France, that is, because it's full of cheese
28/12/2005 at 20:41
You can get the OE sealed batteries for £45-50, and they are pretty good. I'm on my second - having changed two years or so ago. I also run heated grips, Autocom, alarm and occassional bits & pieces from the power socket - air compressors, chargers, inverters etc. Don't believe in pissing about with Optimates and still expect to get four years from a sealed battery. Bought the last one, put it on charge for 10 mins in the shop and haven't touched it since. Has even given enough juice to jump start a small car engine too.
Your say
email image
17 messages