Is Morris Oil any good?

14 messages
16/02/2004 at 17:34
Evening folks,

I've been talked into using Morris oil in the CBR600 Sport. I usually used Silkolene or Plutolene, so at £12 for 4 litres it was alot cheaper than any other oil I've used before. So this begs the question, is it any good. I have always believed that you get what you pay for, but with me not being an engine, its hard for me to tell!

VD

If it's got tits or wheels it's gonna give you bother!

16/02/2004 at 18:51
morris lubricants of shrewsbury

top stuff.

dave morris one a TT on it, so can't be that bad

16/02/2004 at 18:52
dave morris won a TT on it, so can't be that bad

that's better

KFZ
16/02/2004 at 21:06
Morris oils blend there own from tbase stocks a bit like my local company Rock Oil. The support bike sport and their keen to push their products for bikes withlots of lines just aimed at bikes alone.

If a small (by the standards of the big oil comanies) go to the bother of doing this and chasing what is essentially a niche market then i reckon theres something in it. Ive been using rock oil for years and I recomend them.

Morris Oils seem to specilise in the older classic bike market with low additive and detergent oils and I understand their well thought of.

Do you have any info on the specs and recomendations?

Kev

DISCLAIMER:
Application of the procedures described herein is at your own risk. Myself or other Visordown members have submitted this information in good faith, without charge but neither myself, members nor admin will be held responsible for any injury, damage or loss whosoever caused resulting from your use of these procedures or Information. This infomation is not intended to replace your repair manuals, your common sense, or your responsibility for your choices and actions.

http://www.eddnet.com/kev
16/02/2004 at 21:21
The oil is Morris Sport 4 Synthetic fortified 4 Stroke Oil SAE 10W-40. It uses the codes API SG, CCMC G4, ACEA A3 and JASO MA, so I hope its suitable for the CBR600 Sport as I don't have a handbook to see what grade it reccomends. As the bike is a trackday bike and I'll be changing the oil more often than normal it will be a bonus if it is good stuff at half the price. I get the feeling that when you buy top brands, you're mainly paying for the label.

VD

If it's got tits or wheels it's gonna give you bother!

KFZ
17/02/2004 at 21:05
SG is a little behind the spec now, but i guess it means bugger all anyway.

Who knows mate. If its local and they give you good service then try them out. Prob find most of the old hands have simaler views to me. Dont get into the trap of 'ive put fully synthetic dickhead tosspot oil in, so im gonna leave it in there for ages' mentatlity cos thatas worse then using B&Q best lawnmower oil. Use something decent ,stick to it and swap it out frequently.

As with any oil regardless of how much it cost my advice is to change it often. Dont worry to much about the oil filter and dont get in tooo much of a lather about track days either I reckon its easier on your bike than commuting, you got everything up round its temperture and oil pressure is good. Idling on wet monday mornings for hours on end is much worse.

DISCLAIMER:
Application of the procedures described herein is at your own risk. Myself or other Visordown members have submitted this information in good faith, without charge but neither myself, members nor admin will be held responsible for any injury, damage or loss whosoever caused resulting from your use of these procedures or Information. This infomation is not intended to replace your repair manuals, your common sense, or your responsibility for your choices and actions.

http://www.eddnet.com/kev
17/02/2004 at 22:58
SG is a little behind the spec now

dahling, API SG is sooooooooooooo 20th century.
JASO MA is the rating we use nowadays.

unless you ride italian/old brit and mazola will be fine

18/02/2004 at 09:07
Fred Killa wrote

unless you ride italian/old brit and mazola will be fine

NEVER use mazola in italian bikes you need olive oil
18/02/2004 at 16:01
Fred Killa wrote

dahling, API SG is sooooooooooooo 20th century.
JASO MA is the rating we use nowadays.

unless you ride a brit and...

.. lard thinned with white spirit will be fine.

PE HEL Performance
PE Maidstone Motoliner Centre
Triumph Street Triple R

19/02/2004 at 21:20
I know a few racers who use Morris Oil and rate it.

One thing - It stinks when new, seriously - your bike will smell like rotten eggs. Not joking either.
19/02/2004 at 21:51
Fred Killa wrote

dave morris won a TT on it, so can't be that bad

Well I'm not saying it's shite, because I don't know whether it is or it isn't but winning a race is no recommendation for an oil. I want an oil that will, with regular, but not too frequent, oil and filter changes protect my engine for 100,000 miles or more. A race engine is stripped down every 1000 miles or so. How much protection does it need?

"You cannot prove the nonexistence of God; you just have to take it on faith." Woody Allen

++?????++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR. REDO FROM START.
Ric
20/02/2004 at 11:13
KFZ wrote

Morris oils blend there own from tbase stocks a bit like my local company Rock Oil. The support bike sport and their keen to push their products for bikes withlots of lines just aimed at bikes alone.

I think most bike oils are like this - Silkolene and Putoline are 2 more companies who are just blenders of base stocks.

Team RNR

Valves are things to hold air in tyres!
15/03/2012 at 10:06

I've been using Morris oils for about 20 years in cars and bikes. I.E BMW 320, Toyota Supra, Lotus Esprit, Range Rover (3.8ltr V8,LPG Conversion, used Morris Magnol in it and it never used a drop between 6K services.), Mitsubishi Shogun, Kawa GPZ 1100, KLR 600, ZRX 1200, Fireblade, GPZ 600 all of which I've serviced myself... never had a problem with any of them... just check you're using the correct grades....

Mitsubishi use Morris Lubricants as standard now and my Outlander (2ltr TD VW engine) is running very well on it.... The Mitsubishi mechanic who serviced my Outlander last time (Part of the service plan and the first time I've ever used a main dealer!) told me they used to use Mobil oils and were replacing hydralic tappets on a regular basis. Since changing to Morris its virtually unheard of...  

I'll continue to use Morris products as they're good quality and reasonably priced by comparison to other larger brands and would recommend them without hesitation.

28/05/2013 at 15:50

I have used Morris oils in every vehicle I have had.  1912 Aveling & Porter steam roller, several 1950's and 60's Morris 1000's, various Peugeot diesel cars, 2009 Honda Civic diesel, and several different Volvo trucks - currently a 44 tonne FH12.  My daughter does MX on a 125 Suzuki, has run a Bandit and currently a Triumph street triple on Morris's. My son did trials in his teen years using Morris's 2 stroke.  I rate their oils and recommend them both on quality and price. Nice people to deal with too.

Edited: 28/05/2013 at 15:55
Your say
email image
14 messages