Elf Moto Oil

4 messages
10/07/2012 at 13:50

I have had my CBF 125 serviced recently. the mechanic used the above oil. Specs are as follows; 10/40, JASO T903 API SH. Does this sound like a good oil?

10/07/2012 at 19:59

That's absolutely fine for your bike. Key points are:

10w40 so it's the correct viscosity grades for your bike

JASO SH. JASO is the Japanese Automotive Standards Organisation, and the SH is the standard. SF is pretty normal, SG is higher sped, SH higher spec still.

From the Elf Moto site this is a mineral oil with some synthetic technology and designed for wet clutches, which is all fine for your bike.

What made you ask? Is something bothering you?

arrrf.
11/07/2012 at 08:00

Thanks tappy, just was a bit worried about it. Its a new oil to me but seeing the specs are ok I am satisfied.

11/07/2012 at 16:33

Actually it's JASO T903, which is a Japanese specification for clutch slip protection.  There is then a separate specification called API SH, which is an American specification for passenger car gasoline engines, with SH being decades old and now obsolete, but commonly used for bike engines since it is old enough to not include any friction-modification requirements.

What does the manual say?  So long as the oil matches or exceeds the requirement you'll be fine.

Your say
email image
4 messages