battery/charging prob on a1p zx6r

5 messages
17/05/2007 at 16:58
rode my zx6r homw from work last night, got to my back gate and switched of the engine fro about 30 secs, started it up again and rode into garden, then switched off again, about 2 mins later had to move bike so tried to start it up but it wasn't having it, as if i had flat battery each attempt to start obviously got worse and worse.
left it for about 1 1/2 hours while reading haynes for possible problems/solutions. Then tried to start again and it was fine!!! i've only owned it for a week, are there known for bad hot starting?

17/05/2007 at 17:08
octane wrote
Then tried to start again and it was fine!!! i've only owned it for a week, are there known for bad hot starting?

I have no idea if they have a reputation for it, but my ZX6R A1P quite often struggles a bit to start when it is hot.
It does not really charge that well, and has suffered from a number of flat battery problems. I keep it on an Optimate now, so I have no problems, but it used to be the case that the battery was always a bit weak (even when I changed the battery) such that if it did not start within two or three attempts (this was not uncommon in the damp and cold of winter) that was it - battery drained. And yet the current/voltage/whatever it is when measured across the battery with the engine running is acceptable, if not brilliant (so I am told).

It developed an acute problem, with blown fuses and completely drained batteries, which was caused due to the abrasion of the insulation on the headlamp feed where it passed between the frame and the fuel tank. The shortcircuit drained the battery and blew the fuses and the arcing burned the frame. I think you would know if you had any problems like this though!

BTW, mine has just come back with new tyyes, Galfer brake disks, rebuilt brake calipers and new steering bearings. After being an unpleasant, difficult to steer, difficult to stop (EBC Prolite disks) and ill handling shed for some time, it is now running and handling like a peach, and I love it again. I have done 30,000 miles on mine and I think it's a great bike. Good choice.
17/05/2007 at 18:50
the more i ride it the more it fills me with confidence, just a few little annoying things to sort out.
my starting sounds just like you described yours to be like.

23/05/2007 at 01:04
Well, there we are. I don't think my post helps you in any way. Perhaps it's just something to live with.

Glad you like the bike though.

Dan
21/06/2012 at 10:40

I have exactly the same problem as you. On the same bike. When cold the bike starts fine. When I have ridden it and stopped briefly then try to start it again, its as if the battery is dead. But it the starts fine again the next day without me having to charge the battery again. What is going on?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Your say
email image
5 messages