Suspension setup : SM/MX/enduro/laning compromise

1 to 20 of 23 messages
25/10/2007 at 19:34
Well, it looks like I'm gonna end up getting the KTM boingers setup for my (not inconsiderable) weight... but seeing as MX/SM/enduro/laning all have different suspension requirements, what do yas reckon would be the best compromise?

Get it set for MX, and accept that it'll be a bit soft for SM, and a bit hard for trailriding/enduro?

Get it setup for SM, but not shortened?

Just get it set for enduro, seeing as I'm a talentless nobber at both MX and SM, and having the right weight springs will probably be enough to stop bottoming out on jump landings without going overboard on the stiffness?

Whaddayas reckon?
25/10/2007 at 20:07
mx, its about the best all round, then turn the comp and rebound up for sm

rsvr colin edwards
vertemati sr600
husaberg 400,450,470 2 x501,550 and 650
tm400e, tm450smx
3x drz
yfz 250 quad
25/10/2007 at 20:32
Enduro, having it proprly sprung for your weight will make a lot of difference.

No offence intended.............

It'll feel better on the lanes and won't bottom out so bad on the jumps. I reckon a fiddle with the clickers for SM will be enough.

I didn't touch anything on my WR and I only really felt the limitations of the sussies on MX tracks. I'm definately too heavy for the stockers

I reckon having it sprung correctly is the best first step.
25/10/2007 at 20:38
get it set up for SM use for a 13stone chap, then it'll be PERFECT for all uses, thats how my WR was and inspite of being shortened, it bottomed out LESS offroad than on the stock sussies !
25/10/2007 at 20:50
Funners wrote
get it set up for SM use for a 13stone chap, then it'll be PERFECT for all uses, thats how my WR was and inspite of being shortened, it bottomed out LESS offroad than on the stock sussies !

So that's one vote for each so far then.

Fat* lot of fucking use you cunts are.

I've never ridden a bike that was properly setup for SM, but the stock suspension on my XR (which a mate set the race sag correctly for me) was nice and plush on the roads and trails - but I never jumped it due to the risk of causing an earthquake.

The stock (as far as I know) suspension on my WR was lovely and plush, but a bit soft.

My mate's YZ426 was fookin amazing - he's set it up for himself, unsurprisingly enough, and I think he only weighs about 11 or 12 stone. He finds it way too hard for MX and gets bounced out of the seat all the time, but I thought it was great.

My KTM on the other hand isn't very plush over small bumps, and is hopelessly soft for big jumps. Which seems quite an achievement.

What's the advantage of getting it shortened? The thing's tiny enough as it is, so I don't have any trouble reaching the ground.... but if it sits much lower, then I'll be forever catching pegs and boots when riding in ruts... does it improve the SM handling that much?

* pun intended
25/10/2007 at 20:50
Stiffer springs; drop the forks to 5mm from bars and the wind up the compression and rebound damping for s-moto;

or ideal option would be two sets of forks if you've got the cash
25/10/2007 at 21:01
My 525 is fine as it came Stoo for both uses but I will find out what it's like on a MX track on the 15th Nov The front could be a bit stiffer but then it would be too hard for lanes etc.

UK KTM Forum

SeventeenInches

525 EXC :burnout:             950 SuperMoto :burnout:

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc217/sirushusky/th_DSC00874.jpg

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc217/sirushusky/th_DSC00877.jpg

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc217/sirushusky/th_DSCF0012.jpg

25/10/2007 at 21:02
put some drz fork spring in that will help

rsvr colin edwards
vertemati sr600
tm400e, tm450smx
3x drz
yfz 250 quad
25/10/2007 at 21:06
Sirus wrote
My 525 is fine as it came Stoo for both uses but I will find out what it's like on a MX track on the 15th Nov The front could be a bit stiffer but then it would be too hard for lanes etc.

which MX track? I might be up for joining ya; need to keep the weight down over the winter

also what enduros in your area have you got coming up Pete??
25/10/2007 at 21:08
Sirus wrote

Mine's OK for road work and laning - but it's definitely not as nice as the suspension was on the XR or the WR. And it's definitely WAY too soft for MX jumps - I was even bottoming it out on the little jumps at Lydd

swsupermoto wrote
put some drz fork spring in that will help

What's the matter with KTM / WP springs?

Assuming I'm replacing them with the right rate for my weight, what's the advantage of DRZ springs?
25/10/2007 at 21:14
they are heavier that wp that all

rsvr colin edwards
vertemati sr600
tm400e, tm450smx
3x drz
yfz 250 quad
25/10/2007 at 21:22
swsupermoto wrote
they are heavier that wp that all

Stoo; he's puting it nicely but at the end of the day he's calling you a fat coooont;

fight fight fight
25/10/2007 at 21:36
stoo wrote

What's the advantage of getting it shortened? The thing's tiny enough as it is, so I don't have any trouble reaching the ground.... but if it sits much lower, then I'll be forever catching pegs and boots when riding in ruts... does it improve the SM handling that much?

* pun intended

but thats just it mate, my WR was lowered and it handles off road much better than stock due to the sussies being MUCH more compliant and sprung to suit, I had less worries than std....
25/10/2007 at 22:11
Funners wrote
but thats just it mate, my WR was lowered and it handles off road much better than stock due to the sussies being MUCH more compliant and sprung to suit, I had less worries than std....

But how could it be more compliant, and lowered, and bottom out less.

My tiny brain can't cope.
26/10/2007 at 07:36
stoo wrote
But how could it be more compliant, and lowered, and bottom out less.

My tiny brain can't cope.
becuase the springs were fine for my weight, the damping was much more spot on and more controlable, and it certain;y bottomed less than stock...
2BobRob rode mine on the Lakes ride out, ask his opinionof it...
26/10/2007 at 09:10
need to do something here i think

26/10/2007 at 09:17
yyyman wrote

go on a diet??? buy a proper bike?? the list goes on

Yammy wr426, yeah i no 4 stroker

2 bangers rule, 4's are for girls :burp: ASBO boy

2 strokes are the future :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

http://www.surreysupermotos.co.uk
26/10/2007 at 09:29
yyyman wrote

Naaaah, there's plenty more useable travel there.....

26/10/2007 at 09:32
in that case yyyman still has another 8 inches to go until it bottoms out "proper" styley as above LOL

Yammy wr426, yeah i no 4 stroker

2 bangers rule, 4's are for girls :burp: ASBO boy

2 strokes are the future :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

http://www.surreysupermotos.co.uk
26/10/2007 at 13:58
mr.tattoo wrote
in that case yyyman still has another 8 inches to go until it bottoms out "proper" styley as above LOL

What the leathers?
1 to 20 of 23 messages