Michelin AC10 Dirt Tyres? Opinions Please.

13 messages
07/03/2005 at 23:32
What do you off roaders out there think of AC10s, I know that they're not FIM enduro legal but I don't intend on doing any competitive riding? The OE tyres that came with my 525 are looking a bit past their best and I saw a set of AC10s on another 525 whilst out laning with papercup. They looked more like an MX tyre and I was wondering how they stand up to road use as we usually have to do 20-25 miles of tarmac before we hit the dirt.

I've found them for sale mail order on-line but does anybody know anywhere in Essex/Herts that sell them (support your local shop and all that)?
08/03/2005 at 00:05
pogie wrote
What do you off roaders out there think of AC10s, I know that they're not FIM enduro legal but I don't intend on doing any competitive riding? The OE tyres that came with my 525 are looking a bit past their best and I saw a set of AC10s on another 525 whilst out laning with papercup. They looked more like an MX tyre and I was wondering how they stand up to road use as we usually have to do 20-25 miles of tarmac before we hit the dirt.

I've found them for sale mail order on-line but does anybody know anywhere in Essex/Herts that sell them (support your local shop and all that)?

They is identical to the MX tyre......I used one for one ride and was very impressed with it, it suffers from the usual Mitchy tendancy to spin up on Tarmac in the wet.... but on the whole I was impressed by it...enough to be buying some for the WR !
08/03/2005 at 09:21
pogie wrote

are you out this sunday Duncan? It is Rawhide's maiden voyage.....

08/03/2005 at 09:31
Papercup wrote
are you out this sunday Duncan? It is Rawhide's maiden voyage.....

Thanks for the offer Andy but I'm out on the razz Saturday night so I'll be in no fit state to drive down to yours for the early start Sunday morning. I'll probably go out locally on Supermoto setup as it will give me a few more hours in bed to sleep the beer off. :burp:

I'm sure Neil will have a good time, just be gentle with him.
08/03/2005 at 09:32
Funners wrote
They is identical to the MX tyre......I used one for one ride and was very impressed with it, it suffers from the usual Mitchy tendancy to spin up on Tarmac in the wet.... but on the whole I was impressed by it...enough to be buying some for the WR !

less tread i would have thought? I have a pair of Michelin S12s on the YZ at the moment and the difference in tread height between them and the Michelin enduro tyres (and any enduro tyre, i have had a few) is huge.

i have given up with enduro tyres now, they are shit. Last five minutes and don't grip as well anyway.

I am running a bloody great 130 section Dunlop MX tyre on the WR, massive great thing it is. A '752' i think. I am going to get MX tyres from now on; putting this on coincided with me doing that hill for the first time Duncan, and i have only not done it once since (i took the wrong line).

Get the angle grinder out to remove the 'not for road use' and bob is your mothers brother.

Cheap MX tyres are £25-£30 each, do the math!

08/03/2005 at 09:36
Funners wrote

Cheers funners, as they have passed through the North Yorkshire bullsh#t test with flying colours I'm sure they'll be good enough for me.
08/03/2005 at 10:05
Papercup wrote
less tread i would have thought? I have a pair of Michelin S12s on the YZ at the moment and the difference in tread height between them and the Michelin enduro tyres (and any enduro tyre, i have had a few) is huge.

i have given up with enduro tyres now, they are shit. Last five minutes and don't grip as well anyway.

I am running a bloody great 130 section Dunlop MX tyre on the WR, massive great thing it is. A '752' i think. I am going to get MX tyres from now on; putting this on coincided with me doing that hill for the first time Duncan, and i have only not done it once since (i took the wrong line).

Get the angle grinder out to remove the 'not for road use' and bob is your mothers brother.

I understand what you're saying, MX tyres are about half the price of the AC10s but I would like to keep the bike fairly legal. A small plate or loud pipe will probably result in a slap on the wrist and a small fine, but non DOT approved tyres altered to make them look road legal could end up in court with big fines and points added to the driving licence.
08/03/2005 at 14:42
Papercup wrote

NOPE, I dunno how they have done it but they is IDENTICAL to one of the MX tyres..might even be the S12, Peanuts knows ! but they are nothing like an Enduro tyre, I suspect thats why they aint FIM legal but are ROAD legal !
08/03/2005 at 19:07
pogie wrote
What do you off roaders out there think of AC10s

Hi Duncan,

I had a new AC10 on the 520 which was great when new, but it was soon shagged, 4 days out only (Full days though) I turned it round to use the other face of the blocks which again was OK but it only lasted 1 day however it was pretty fcuked anway before I turned it round, so I didn't expect it to last.

I've been recommended mitas for the rear which I put on before going out at the weekend. It seems to have held up really well after 8 hours riding. The blocks are chuffing huge and look like they will last well.

Anyone else had any experience of these mitas

[size=1]

IF YOU DON'T CRASH .............. YOUR NOT ON A DIRT BIKE :burnout:
08/03/2005 at 19:51
I been looking at the ac10's today at my local stealers and he's quoted me £43 for a rear.
I have a maxxis intermediate rear on at the moment and have done about 12 outings on it with a fair amount of road work so not bad and it only cost £34 fitted

welshbikers.org
A lone moto in a sea of plastic pocket rockets
08/03/2005 at 20:35
I've had a Mitas on the rear for quite a while, it seems to have lasted for ever (on a 400exc), off road the grip is pretty good, its done a fair bit on the road but does tend to spin if its wet or cranked over when dry, but thats just funny!

I'm putting another one on this weekend.

http://www.rgv250.co.uk/forums/style_emoticons/default/wales.gif

Iesi Mawr  

08/03/2005 at 21:01
AC10 are the best road legal off road tyre I have found. They have the full E number and load speed rating, yet use the same mould as an s12 on the front (as Funners said ). Rear is well deep too, not as deep as the king of deep treads, the Trelleborg Ten Masters, but they are not legal. Both front and rear are far deeper than FIM enduro tyres.

Racespec do them for £33 front and £42 rear..... including discount.

10/03/2005 at 12:40
Thanks for the information guys, I have just ordered a pair of AC10s from Racespec.
Your say
email image
13 messages