Husaberg starting problems

1 to 20 of 22 messages
29/12/2003 at 16:33
Ive had my 650c for about 6 months now and since i put a new cam in and set valve clearances it has always started very well, a few kicks, when hot or cold (kicksart only). At last visit to Wildtracks it wouldnt start well when hot. I then had bike home and stripped and cleaned the carb and set the valve clearances. I then started it and its still not great. I went to WTracks yesterday and when hot it was terrible. I was swearing like Bernard Manning. After millions of kicks i started trying different things and eventually worked out that it would start hot if i gave it one kick with the throttle half open and then a kick with no throttle. It would start on the second kick. Does this mean the carb is not setup correctly and do i need it setting up on a dyno?

Help would be appreciated.
29/12/2003 at 16:40
Can be VERY finnicky to start. Give Gary a ring at Grover racing, he'll put you right on track.

Big and clever.
29/12/2003 at 16:49
I had no end of trouble re-starting my 650 until i dropped the pilot jet down 2 sizes.
Now it will start 1st or 2nd kick cold or hot.
Totally different bike now.

Poke

PowerBall Speed 12,432 rpm
"Confused?............. I was never confused"
Harley Davidson ........... The best way to convert petrol to noise without the side effect of
horsepower
Dan 86-05 Missin' ya son
SG# 958 Vipex Custom Race Trucks NMRO 2004
29/12/2003 at 18:01
you clearly DON'T know about bergs!!!!!!!

take your generator cover off "on the right hand side of the engine " and CLEAN AND DRY AAAAAAAND SLIGHTLY OIL IT!!!!!...... do this regularly and you should have no probs

once a month at least.... or every jetwash!..... it should take 5 to 10 mins

YORKSHIRE... WHERE MEN LOVE MEN... SHEEP ARE WORRIED .... AND THE WOMEN COME TO WIGAN FOR A SHAG

checkout me website...
groups.msn.com/LawmansBikes[/size]
29/12/2003 at 18:27
I did this as well, polished the rusty bits on the stator/magnets and wiped it over with a wd40 type oil.
1st time i did it, it didn't make much difference, but when combined with smaller pilot jet made a big difference.
However, I was fully aware that mine was running rich at the bottom end, I think the needle is a little worn.
Carb will be going for ovalling and rebuild in the new year. I reckon that should take care of the bugger.

Poke

Harley Davidson ........... The best way to convert petrol to noise without the side effect of
horsepower
Dan 86-05 Missin' ya son
31/12/2003 at 11:20
Does anyone else have any views on this? I'm slightly confused as my bike used to start really well and then just wouldnt suddenly. It also starts very well when cold, so will the electrical cleanup actually change anything?
31/12/2003 at 11:36
i saw you kicking it, mainly in or just outa the dirt section. After stalling surely the carb will flood up a bit, them old Dellorto's are a bit long in the tooth now. Certainly sounds like a fuel problem or a spark plug thats breaking down when hot, try a new plug then source a FCR carb, or ovalise the Dell
31/12/2003 at 14:23
Yeah it was after stalling but it was also terrible to start in my garage when stopped with the button. I have changed the plug with no difference. What is the difference with a FCR carb?? I dont know anything about them. How much etc??
31/12/2003 at 16:25
my fcr is on yhe supermotech mart board.
alan
my berg has gone, just clearing out the spares now!
31/12/2003 at 16:47
tasswipe wrote

my fcr is on yhe supermotech mart board.
alan
my berg has gone, just clearing out the spares now!

Don't forget I want yer tank mate.
See you at the weekend.

Ged

horsepower
Dan 86-05 Missin' ya son
31/12/2003 at 16:52
i haven,t forgot about the tank,its on the list by mistake.
alan
31/12/2003 at 16:56
Kewl,

Wot brand are the brake pads?

Poke

horsepower
Dan 86-05 Missin' ya son
31/12/2003 at 17:35
std husaberg sbk jobbies
alan
31/12/2003 at 18:29
FCR is a flat slide pumper carb, makes all bergs start easier, quick throttle response etc etc
01/01/2004 at 14:42
As suggested above and because it starts fine when cold, you should try to lean off the idle circuit.

Try first adjusting your idle mixture along with the idle speed adjuster - you will notice an improvement just doing this and it will tell you if you're going in the right direction. Then you can play with a smaller idle jet. As a rough guide, 2.5 turns out or more on the mixture screw and you need a larger jet, .5 or less and you need a smaller one.

Because the carbs circuits are all interdependent despite what all the carb manuals say, it may be that you need to change not only the idle jet but possibly the main, or the needle, including position. On balance, if you have something like a 33 idle jet already, then you should be fine with that and may actually need to lean of another circuit such as the main or drop the needle.

The other thing you may want to check is the auto-decompressor adjustment.

HTH
g.
01/01/2004 at 16:41
Ive just taken the side cover off and cleaned all the electrics as suggested and it seems to start 1st kick again. So thanks for the advice Lawman. It had dirt in there as i jetwashed it heavily after wildtracks. So cheers to everyone for the advice and the drinks are on me.....Cheers.
01/01/2004 at 17:32
your welcome!

but how many other berg owners don't do this simple bit of maintainance..... and slag them off .... for their own ignorance???

YORKSHIRE... WHERE MEN LOVE MEN... SHEEP ARE WORRIED .... AND THE WOMEN COME TO WIGAN FOR A SHAG

checkout me website...
groups.msn.com/LawmansBikes[/size]
01/01/2004 at 17:34
lawmanmx wrote

your welcome!

but how many other berg owners don't do this simple bit of maintainance..... and slag them off .... for their own ignorance???

every time.....except the last one !

Oohh Meester smarty Pants !
01/01/2004 at 18:20
lawmanmx wrote

your welcome!

Just the ones that don't take Berg 101 on the UHE forum.

I thought I had bought a lemon until I read stuff on the forum.
30 mins with me carb and it goes like a goodun hot or cold

Poke

horsepower
Dan 86-05 Missin' ya son
01/01/2004 at 18:20
lawmanmx wrote

your welcome!

Just the ones that don't take Berg 101 on the UHE forum.

I thought I had bought a lemon until I read stuff on the forum.
30 mins with me carb and it goes like a goodun hot or cold

Poke

horsepower
Dan 86-05 Missin' ya son
1 to 20 of 22 messages