Converting enduro wheels

18 messages
03/11/2003 at 14:58
Howdy
Whats the pros and cons regarding converting enduro wheels to SM wheels ????
03/11/2003 at 15:04
the pro's.....
cheaper......
they deffo fit without probs as they are OE hubs.....

Cons.....not many, only poss ones are
NO enduro wheels now
Hubs not as pretty !
03/11/2003 at 15:07
No cons then apart from not havin any crosser wheels !!!!!!
03/11/2003 at 15:08
Can the hubs be anodised gold ???
03/11/2003 at 15:08
marky d wrote

Can the hubs be anodised gold ???

I spect so......maybe painted..or PC'd but certainyl changed colour.....
03/11/2003 at 15:09
Within reason cant the gpr70s go off road
03/11/2003 at 15:10
marky d wrote

Within reason cant the gpr70s go off road

ALL tyres can go off road...............its just the level of grip that changes....
03/11/2003 at 15:11
can i still fit a 310mm disc to my wheels to improve stoppers,obviously with bracket
03/11/2003 at 15:13
am i right in thinkin the gpr 70s are better than the 80s for dual purpose
03/11/2003 at 15:21
marky d wrote

can i still fit a 310mm disc to my wheels to improve stoppers,obviously with bracket

310 is beringer stuff....S'pensive...most peeps go for a 320mm disc and either an adaptor bracket to retain the stock caliper or a new caliper full stop.
am i right in thinkin the gpr 70s are better than the 80s for dual purpose

as for your 70's vs 80.s question.dunno....never run em so I have no idea !
03/11/2003 at 15:32
You can't anodise cast hubs.

Another Con is that the hubs can break when stressed supermoto stylee. XR hubs have been known to break and Mad Roy broke a KTM hub as well. They aren't made for SM.
03/11/2003 at 15:38
zanx wrote

Another Con is that the hubs can break when stressed supermoto stylee. XR hubs have been known to break and Mad Roy broke a KTM hub as well. They aren't made for SM.

Errmmmm but they are OK for MX ????
Biggest prob is that some people do NOT leave enought slack in the chain..stressing the hub and breaking it....
IMHO , if a Hub is good enough for enduro/mx, it's good enough for SM.....
03/11/2003 at 15:47
Funners, the XR prob is down to the spoke thickness although I suspect wheels intended for MX use stress the hubs less because of the inherent flex designed into the wheel. Also, do MX wheels not have less spokes than road wheels? This used to be a problem with converting old CR's in that more spokes were needed to stop the wheel flexing too much.

Read that in a September 1876 copy of RiDE.
03/11/2003 at 15:49
Funners wrote

Errmmmm but they are OK for MX ????
Biggest prob is that some people do NOT leave enought slack in the chain..stressing the hub and breaking it....
IMHO , if a Hub is good enough for enduro/mx, it's good enough for SM.....

Or don't mebbe check that all the sprocket bolts are as tight as they can be before each track session

I wouldn't worry about the hub's suitability for SM either - like the man says, if it's good enough for enduro/MX........ ........I got a new Yammy hub laced onto the rim and it's been fine (so far)
03/11/2003 at 16:10
zanx wrote

Funners, the XR prob is down to the spoke thickness although I suspect wheels intended for MX use stress the hubs less because of the inherent flex designed into the wheel. Also, do MX wheels not have less spokes than road wheels? This used to be a problem with converting old CR's in that more spokes were needed to stop the wheel flexing too much.

Read that in a September 1876 copy of RiDE.

I would venture that the real problem is that SM spokes are shorter, therefore stiffer than the longer MX spokes (I'm fairly sure that, on KTM's at least, the spokes are the same gauges on either), which transfers more of the torque to the hubs. Or I could be talking out of my ar$e.

JA

Crashometer 2003:

I've got a little black book with me poems in it!
03/11/2003 at 17:56
gpr 70's stick like sh%t to a blanket i know cos i got my elbow down on me NC30 when i was running those hoops!

Go on, touch it, TOUCH IT YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO !!!!!!
03/11/2003 at 21:48
zanx wrote

KTM hubs are'nt built for motocross ether!.... ive bust 2 of em

YORKSHIRE... WHERE MEN LOVE MEN... SHEEP ARE WORRIED .... AND THE WOMEN COME TO WIGAN FOR A SHAG

checkout me website...
groups.msn.com/LawmansBikes[/size]
10/06/2012 at 08:12
I bought an xr 650 that had some excel rims 19"/18"and Avon street tires with it, mounted on the xr is a stock 21"/18" knobbies with the same ebc oversize disk as the excel 19". The the guy did tell me he had never put them on, so dang it when installing the front 19" the axle was way smaller than the bearing? I removed my xr front bearings thinking they were the same outside diameter, they are not. (XR is smaller just enough) The part number for the ebc disk i found indicates it is for a crf 450 R4/R5/R6/R7/ (04-07) could it be that the streetbikes use the same front hub/axle as crf 450s.
And, what the heck can i do? Im on a skinny budget so any ideas would be gladly muld over.....the rear wheel came with an xr axle and bolted right up.
Your say
email image
18 messages