660 goes bang shocker

1 to 20 of 39 messages
23/12/2005 at 16:39
Took the 660 to be dyno'd this mornin, oh my feckin lord it went pop
The Day started off so well, full remus system & airbox box mod taped up, standard 165 main jet 57.6bhp returned marvellous, good start, that'll do i thought to myself.
So, standard procedure, fatten up the main jet open up the airbox Bob's your uncle & fanny's your aunt............OH NO THEY AIN'T!
The power being produced was staying around the 57-58bhp mark with fatter main jets, again that'll do for me so long as it doesn't run like a dog, but for some reason it was running very lean @ 4-4500 rpm then richening up as the revs grow which is alright but not the best. The poor dyno guy (who is very experienced) nor myself couldn work out why when he was increasing the main jet it was running leaner!! FFS
All combinations were tried with jets, needle height, airbox mods open, airbox mods closed blah blah blah etc, then the real kick in the teeth i was startin the bike each time, jumps up on the bike usual procedure, little way past TDC, er............ no compression, FECK, it's done a ring or summit. So we do a compression test & get a reading of 65 on the meter, AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH FUCK IT!!!!!. so we whip the headers off & have a look up the exhaust ports, nothing on the offside one, right ok, look up the other & there's a trail of oil which has run down the stem, FECK again!!!
When i had the engine out whilst gettin the frame n wheels powdercoated i took the engine to my local dealer & asked him to do the valve clearances, as the engine was comin up to 1,900 miles i thought it would be an ideal time to do em. Now, when i first got the bike runnin again i noticed what sounded like a 'tappet' noise, i thought maybe they open em up a bit & as it warms up the slack is taken out, logical??
Anyway, since the clearance's have been done the bike has prolly done 30 miles then somethin goes astray, coincidence or paranoia.........you decide.
Anyone heard of this happenin with the 660???

Dip me in chocolate & throw me to the lesbians :smoke:
23/12/2005 at 16:51
I havn't heard of this so can't help, but I reckon its that black front mudguard thats causing the problem. HTH.

Wheelies.They are big & they are clever!
23/12/2005 at 16:58
moto wrote
I havn't heard of this so can't help, but I reckon its that black front mudguard thats causing the problem. HTH.

Merry christmas to you too moto

23/12/2005 at 17:01
forbesy wrote
Merry christmas to you too moto

Happy xmas mate

23/12/2005 at 19:47
Gutted for ya fella

have a few beers on me card is behind the bar till you feel
happy enough not to care any more
i do recommend "super bock":smoke:

merry christmas
and lets all hope for a cheap fix.

finger crossed
23/12/2005 at 20:12
and a happy new year!

---------------------------------

Keep er between the hedges!!
www.supermotojunkie.com
23/12/2005 at 22:02
what year is yours?
ell
23/12/2005 at 22:51
birdface wrote
what year is yours?

Same as yours

Nickometer
Aug
Sep
Oct
Dec
Jan
Apr
May
Sep
24/12/2005 at 05:09
Ferkin hell!

Gutted for you mate. And it was looking so nice
24/12/2005 at 09:50
birdface wrote
what year is yours?

2004 with 1900 miles on the clock

24/12/2005 at 09:57
ell wrote
Same as yours

If mine pops I'll borrow yours when you're doin' bird with Bubba sitting on your face
26/12/2005 at 12:25
Shit news matey not good I would have thought you would have been able to get more than 57 as that what my 625 is turning out. Sounds like maybe there might be something wrong with the other stuff you had done when the engine was out, but I wouldn't have a clue what sorry. Not a nice crimbo present thou

Hope it gets sorted soon:burnout:

Look Ma! No Brains!

26/12/2005 at 13:54
supermofo wrote
Shit news matey not good I would have thought you would have been able to get more than 57 as that what my 625 is turning out. Sounds like maybe there might be something wrong with the other stuff you had done when the engine was out, but I wouldn't have a clue what sorry. Not a nice crimbo present thou

Hope it gets sorted soon:burnout:

When they dyno bikes, they need to get the sensor as far down the exhaust as possible to get as near to the cylinder head as they can, but due to the nature of the Remus can which appears to have a stepped baffle in it the sensor was only sittin in the end of the can, so maybe i'm not gettin a 100% true reading of the power it's producing, so 57bhp may be off. Once the bike is back in my hands hopefully they'll tell me what went wrong & why it did it, strange coincidence though that the valve clearances were only done 30 miles before the dyno run

26/12/2005 at 21:28
Forbsey,

Gutted for you mate. She was looking sweet as well.

Who did the valves? which dyno was she on?

I recommend X-Bikes 01945 585533, The dyno tuning centre
Deceptive for a BIG lad!
www.smugglingduds.com - the best pants ever!
26/12/2005 at 22:07
forbesy wrote
When they dyno bikes, they need to get the sensor as far down the exhaust as possible to get as near to the cylinder head as they can, but due to the nature of the Remus can which appears to have a stepped baffle in it the sensor was only sittin in the end of the can, so maybe i'm not gettin a 100% true reading of the power it's producing, so 57bhp may be off. Once the bike is back in my hands hopefully they'll tell me what went wrong & why it did it, strange coincidence though that the valve clearances were only done 30 miles before the dyno run

As far as I know the sensor in the exhaust is only the exhaust gas analyser. (To tell you how rich or lean it is running). Not what gives the actual BHP reading, that would be the dyno itself. HTH.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

26/12/2005 at 22:18
forbesy you got a blue arai?

Mr Bear might have been seastar dyno, what you doing tommorow?
27/12/2005 at 05:11
Running on the dyno can highlight any weaknesses within the engine and then POP. Feel sorry for you mate mine died 2 weeks ago. Dull isnt it just console yourself with the fact that its a race bike and get it back with more power!:burnout:
27/12/2005 at 22:56
Forbesy

Sorry about your motor. Have you had any thoughts about the rebuild?

Is there much scope/benefit to consider a lighter piston, rod, titanium valves, and er, erm um, or whatever.

What's the cost of a rebuild?
28/12/2005 at 08:45
mr bear wrote
Forbsey,

Gutted for you mate. She was looking sweet as well.

Who did the valves? which dyno was she on?

Hello Mr Bear The valve clearances were done by Mr Barkshire himself whilst i had the engine out, the dyno was done by Steve @ seastars, Barkshires are picking the bike up on the 3rd January due to seastars bein closed til then

28/12/2005 at 08:47
karlcrf wrote
forbesy you got a blue arai?

Mr Bear might have been seastar dyno, what you doing tommorow?

Sorry i missed your reply Karl, i do have an Arai, but it's grey

1 to 20 of 39 messages