are you sure shafties can't wheelie?

864 posts / 0 new
Last post
are you sure shafties can't wheelie?

this has been said many times on many threads but I can't see why they can't wheelie or counter-steer

they can wheelie.

Go to the bike show.Go to the BMW standWatch the Boxer Cup video (behind the race R1100S)See what Randy Mamola and co can do I'm gonna go and watch the Boxer Cup races next year.Donnington, 28 April. Already in me diary (and the diary only arrived yesterday).Those things sound like a load of WWII bombers down the main straight.Can't wait

You're confusing the machine with the riders!

Reets wrote

[BI'm gonna go and watch the Boxer Cup races next year.Donnington, 28 April. Already in me diary (and the diary only arrived yesterday).Can't wait [/B]

Reet - I'm going that w/e too with a load of my S-owning mates (we could have up to 8 S's there!) Sounds like it'll be a good crack - Buells are racing too! A complete noise-fest!!

it'll be great fun Buell's as well eh?Best get them custom-fit earplugs pronto

and the photo below is quite clearly airbrushed. I recon the front wheel is actually glued to the back of a lorry or connected to a hot air balloon

Stop this right now!

human wrote

Stop this right now!

just because you can't get it up....

RatBikeZone wrote

and the photo below is quite clearly airbrushed. I recon the front wheel is actually glued to the back of a lorry or connected to a hot air balloon

That is the worst example of PhotoShop I've ever seen! Look at the front wheel - it's not perfectly round. You can see where the guy's cut it. Is that the best you can do?Strider - they can't wheelie because the torque generated by the shaft pulls them over to one side. Don't listen to the piss-taking wankers on here who'll try to persuade you otherwise. HTH.

i'm sure they can counter-steer though, can't all bikes?

Reets wrote

Go to the bike show.Go to the BMW standWatch the Boxer Cup video (behind the race R1100S)See what Randy Mamola and co can do

<SM Mode>That video shows the absolute talents of the special effects man in action. It is not Randy Mamola doing a wheelie, rather a morphing of the video image to suggest that a shaftie can wheelie. Neither do shafties counter-steer, they can only CONTRA- steer</SM Mode> Did someone say the other day that we hadn't had this discussion for a few weeks?

yeah me and now I know why geesh The shaftie rg1150s can wheelie, well accelerate lift up. Raced one a few months back in the famous traffic light grand prix, both bikes front wheel hovering up to 100mph + :smoke: coooool as

martinb wrote

i'm sure they can counter-steer though, can't all bikes?

tis a bit difficult cos of tourque steer

taken from the rec.motorcycles faq:What's this about shaft-driven motorcycles not counter-steering or wheelying? Balderdash. It's a boring old joke used to start flamewars and confuse newbies.

taken from alt.binaries.motorcycles.windupShat drives cant wheelie or countersteer

You can wheelie a shaft drive!!!!I had an old BMW r100 that I could lift the front 4 ages on!Had to lean quite hard to stop it going round as well as up though!Damn that toque reaction!

martinb wrote

taken from the rec.motorcycles faq:What's this about shaft-driven motorcycles not counter-steering or wheelying? Balderdash. It's a boring old joke used to start flamewars and confuse newbies.

This is what I mean. People will try to pretend they can do both, when no-one has ever produced a shred of verifiable evidence.Let's see. I can say "I know shafties can fly, because I've flown mine". It isn't true. Just because people say things in Web forums, doesn't make them true.Use your noggins, for God's sake! When a bike's got a spinning shaft hanging off one side of it generating a bucket-load of sideways torque - I ask you - how can it possibly wheelie or countersteer?I've got a shaftie, and I assure you it does neither.

Dingbat wrote

<SM Mode>That video shows the absolute talents of the special effects man in action. It is not Randy Mamola doing a wheelie, rather a morphing of the video image to suggest that a shaftie can wheelie. Neither do shafties counter-steer, they can only CONTRA- steer</SM Mode> Did someone say the other day that we hadn't had this discussion for a few weeks?

yeah thats what I was thinking when I posted, these threads are always entertaining

Some one lend me a shafty n ill fecking prove it u big girls. Just cos your scared dosent mean it isnt possible.Midlands area offers accepted, will bring digital camera 4 proof!!THEY DO WHEELY

adamski wrote

THEY DO WHEELY

No they don't.That pic of RBZ's, what bike was that? I'll lay money on it having an enclosed chain rather than the stock shaft. Did you examine the bike to check for yourself? Thought not. V-Max's are the same, the 'V' stands for 'virtual shaft', but they wheelie cos they're chain driven.

sh@t, haven't oiled my vmax's chain for 5 years, must be due a lube

FFS! LISTEN They do!I Will happily prove it.Some people talk absolute crap!(no names, Silent memory, Damn that just slipped out)

silentmemory wrote

No they don't.That pic of RBZ's, what bike was that? I'll lay money on it having an enclosed chain rather than the stock shaft. Did you examine the bike to check for yourself? Thought not. V-Max's are the same, the 'V' stands for 'virtual shaft', but they wheelie cos they're chain driven.

animatedgif.net/animals/wateranimals/fishb_e0.gif

class dingbat

adamski wrote

FFS! LISTEN They do!I Will happily prove it.Some people talk absolute crap!(no names, Silent memory, Damn that just slipped out)

Go on then. I'm in Catford, bring a shaftie round my gaff and wheelie it. I'll get the BBC round to film it cos it'll be the first time it's ever been done. Best have an ambulance there too for when you stack it trying

I too was once under the illusion that shafties wheelie, but since being on this forum have discovered the error of my ways and know spend my time looking for the chain on my NTV so that i can lube it , anybody know where it might be situated?They are right, shafties do not wheelie, the world is square and I WANNA MUN-KEEE HTH

If you don't counter steer how the f*ck do you turn the bike?????

X81 wrote

spend my time looking for the chain on my NTV so that i can lube it

NTVs don't have chains you moron

Strider wrote

this has been said many times on many threads but I can't see why they can't wheelie or counter-steer

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Not again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

milky82 (not verified)

Look for the love of god Shafties wheely, pigs fly and you can clean your windscreen with a shovel does that clear everything up :burnout:

How many people on this thread have ever riden a shafty? Torque reaction is a thing of the past, negated by modern setups. The only reason BM's pull to one side is the flat twin engine.BTW mine will wheelie off the throttle in second quite happily and go in a straight line.

i ridden em

SCENE - The VD Christmas Panto is in full swing, lb enters from stage left"Oh, yes they can"

Grazoid wrote

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Not again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't you like these shaftie threads? I love reading all the bollox posted on 'em.

Strider wrote

don't you like these shaftie threads? I love reading all the bollox posted on 'em.

Yeah, me too! But don't forget, just because you and I know an awful lot about motorcycles, many are not as fortunate as us. I'm just worried that some poor newbie's going to end up in a hedge (or worse) because he tried to wheely or countersteer his Deauville. Pirahna and Adamski's posts may be very convincing to the uninitiated. Those two are obviously wind-up artists of the highest order, but perhaps they should reflect that their flippancy may have serious implications...

I've ridden more than one shaftie Not wheelied any tho, nor any non-shafties come to that

you are right, I should have thought of that before starting this off again. Please don't go trying this it ain't worth getting hurt trying to do something that can't be done.

silentmemory wrote

NTVs don't have chains you moron

MORON, MORON, bit harsh i think SM old chap So if NTV's don't have chains then what do they have?

Pirahna wrote

BTW mine will wheelie off the throttle in second quite happily and go in a straight line.

No it won't. You're probably compensating for the torque reaction without realising it, just take your hands off the bars to see what I mean. On second thoughts, don't.

milky82 (not verified)

leatherboy wrote

SCENE - The VD Christmas Panto is in full swing, lb enters from stage left"Oh, yes they can"

OH NO THEY CAN'T OH AND ITS BEHIND YOU

Tricky wrote

Pirahna and Adamski's posts may be very convincing to the uninitiated. Those two are obviously wind-up artists of the highest order, but perhaps they should reflect that their flippancy may have serious implications...

LOL but you know it's true so why live in denial? Discover the path to two wheeled enlightenment and get a BMW - wheelie machines of the educated.

X81 wrote

MORON, MORON, bit harsh i think SM old chap So if NTV's don't have chains then what do they have?

Moron is as moron does m8. NTVs have shaft drives.Hello? This is like pulling teeth You should know what your own bike uses.

silentmemory wrote

NTVs have shaft drives.

All except the chain drive ones.

Pirahna wrote

LOL but you know it's true so why live in denial? Discover the path to two wheeled enlightenment and get a BMW - wheelie machines of the educated.

I know no such thing!I used to countersteer my Diversion (6 - obviously), but when I binned that and got the GT, that was the end of the countersteering.I do like BMWs, but mainly that big urban crosser thing. The F650, is it? But that's got a chain, and I can't be arsed to learn to countersteer all over again.

Pirahna wrote

All except the chain drive ones.

They're the Bros650 aren't they? The sport version of the NTV, these do wheelie and countersteer.

milky82 wrote

OH NO THEY CAN'T OH AND ITS BEHIND YOU

OH YES THEY CAN lb wonders who should be the ugly sisters in this thread as he prepares the custard pies

OK I admit it, the photo I posted was doctored. The rider was actually using the ACME Steam Powered Wheelie Boot(TM) to hold the bike up. Here's the original:

Looks like he's countersteering the Wheelie Boot in order to make a left turn...

There should be a law against this thread. I laffed (again) though

OMG !!!!!!Its ground hog day and SM is Bill MurrayROTFLMAO

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month