are you sure shafties can't wheelie?

1 to 20 of 862 messages
16/11/2001 at 11:28
this has been said many times on many threads but I can't see why they can't wheelie or counter-steer
16/11/2001 at 11:29
they can wheelie.
16/11/2001 at 11:31
Go to the bike show.
Go to the BMW stand
Watch the Boxer Cup video (behind the race R1100S)
See what Randy Mamola and co can do

I'm gonna go and watch the Boxer Cup races next year.
Donnington, 28 April. Already in me diary (and the diary only arrived yesterday).

Those things sound like a load of WWII bombers down the main straight.

Can't wait

Its no good looking for the needle if you have already lost the thread.
16/11/2001 at 11:32
You're confusing the machine with the riders!
16/11/2001 at 11:37
Reets wrote

[B
I'm gonna go and watch the Boxer Cup races next year.
Donnington, 28 April. Already in me diary (and the diary only arrived yesterday).

Can't wait [/B]

Reet - I'm going that w/e too with a load of my S-owning mates (we could have up to 8 S's there!) Sounds like it'll be a good crack - Buells are racing too! A complete noise-fest!!

Ringadingding
16/11/2001 at 11:44
it'll be great fun

Buell's as well eh?

Best get them custom-fit earplugs pronto

Its no good looking for the needle if you have already lost the thread.
RBZ
16/11/2001 at 12:27
and the photo below is quite clearly airbrushed. I recon the front wheel is actually glued to the back of a lorry or connected to a hot air balloon

RBZ

16/11/2001 at 12:31
Stop this right now!
16/11/2001 at 12:34
human wrote

Stop this right now!

just because you can't get it up....

Great Prophet of Veedism.
non quod sed quomodo
"BBQ fluid is a sweaty one night stand compared to the long term relationship of a properly burning wood fire."
Cool in a fuddy-duddy old fart kinda way - Wingnut
16/11/2001 at 12:38
RatBikeZone wrote

and the photo below is quite clearly airbrushed. I recon the front wheel is actually glued to the back of a lorry or connected to a hot air balloon

That is the worst example of PhotoShop I've ever seen! Look at the front wheel - it's not perfectly round. You can see where the guy's cut it. Is that the best you can do?

Strider - they can't wheelie because the torque generated by the shaft pulls them over to one side. Don't listen to the piss-taking wankers on here who'll try to persuade you otherwise.

HTH.

If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation.
Rev Fred: [Tricky is] a sort of genetically modified mutation of Jeremy Beadle crossed with Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy.

TIT#48D - SNSG#68 VD-DOSE
Aspartame Kills
16/11/2001 at 12:51
i'm sure they can counter-steer though, can't all bikes?
16/11/2001 at 12:52
Reets wrote

Go to the bike show.
Go to the BMW stand
Watch the Boxer Cup video (behind the race R1100S)
See what Randy Mamola and co can do

<SM Mode>That video shows the absolute talents of the special effects man in action. It is not Randy Mamola doing a wheelie, rather a morphing of the video image to suggest that a shaftie can wheelie. Neither do shafties counter-steer, they can only CONTRA- steer</SM Mode>

Did someone say the other day that we hadn't had this discussion for a few weeks?

Dreaming of life in a modern secular democracy. If you find one, please let me know. Apart from France, that is, because it's full of cheese
16/11/2001 at 12:57
yeah me and now I know why geesh

The shaftie rg1150s can wheelie, well accelerate lift up. Raced one a few months back in the famous traffic light grand prix, both bikes front wheel hovering up to 100mph + :smoke: coooool as

I'd rather be a skunks pussy than ginger
16/11/2001 at 12:57
martinb wrote

i'm sure they can counter-steer though, can't all bikes?

tis a bit difficult cos of tourque steer

16/11/2001 at 13:20
taken from the rec.motorcycles faq:

What's this about shaft-driven motorcycles not counter-steering or wheelying?
Balderdash. It's a boring old joke used to start flamewars and confuse newbies.
16/11/2001 at 13:31
taken from alt.binaries.motorcycles.windup

Shat drives cant wheelie or countersteer

16/11/2001 at 13:39
You can wheelie a shaft drive!!!!
I had an old BMW r100 that I could lift the front 4 ages on!
Had to lean quite hard to stop it going round as well as up though!
Damn that toque reaction!

Yeah? whatever!
16/11/2001 at 13:42
martinb wrote

taken from the rec.motorcycles faq:

What's this about shaft-driven motorcycles not counter-steering or wheelying?
Balderdash. It's a boring old joke used to start flamewars and confuse newbies.

This is what I mean. People will try to pretend they can do both, when no-one has ever produced a shred of verifiable evidence.

Let's see. I can say "I know shafties can fly, because I've flown mine". It isn't true. Just because people say things in Web forums, doesn't make them true.

Use your noggins, for God's sake! When a bike's got a spinning shaft hanging off one side of it generating a bucket-load of sideways torque - I ask you - how can it possibly wheelie or countersteer?

I've got a shaftie, and I assure you it does neither.

If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation.
Rev Fred: [Tricky is] a sort of genetically modified mutation of Jeremy Beadle crossed with Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy.

TIT#48D - SNSG#68 VD-DOSE
Aspartame Kills
16/11/2001 at 13:44
Dingbat wrote

<SM Mode>That video shows the absolute talents of the special effects man in action. It is not Randy Mamola doing a wheelie, rather a morphing of the video image to suggest that a shaftie can wheelie. Neither do shafties counter-steer, they can only CONTRA- steer</SM Mode>

Did someone say the other day that we hadn't had this discussion for a few weeks?

yeah thats what I was thinking when I posted, these threads are always entertaining
16/11/2001 at 13:50
Some one lend me a shafty n ill fecking prove it u big girls. Just cos your scared dosent mean it isnt possible.
Midlands area offers accepted, will bring digital camera 4 proof!!
THEY DO WHEELY

Yeah? whatever!
1 to 20 of 862 messages