MOT basic requirements --- HERE.

19 messages
04/09/2007 at 10:22
This is a generalisation of the MOT only for some of the components that get checked.
I am a VOSA qualified motorcyle tester.

Tyres
Item 2 Motorcycle Tyres - Motocross or Similar
There is a number of Motocross or similar type tyres on the market with the spacing between the block treads greater than the block width and that have been approved for road use. According to the MOT Inspection Manual guidance these tyres should be failed unless they have an approval marking and MST (Multi Service Tyre) moulded into the sidewall of the tyre.
If a machine is presented for MOT test fitted with any of these types of tyres, you should not fail them just because they do not display MST. If the tyre is marked with an 'E' in a circle, or an 'e' in a rectangle, moulded in to the tyre wall, this shows that the tyre has been type approved for road use. Similarly if a tyre is permanently marked with the letters JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) or DOE (American Standard) then the tyre is also approved for road use. These tyres may not necessarily be marked MST as set out in the information column in Section 4.1 page 1 ('Examples of unsuitable tyres' paragraph b.) of the MOT Inspection Manual.
Therefore principal reason for failure 1, 'an unsuitable tyre' in the Motor Bicycle and Side Car Testing Manual section 4.1 page 1 does not apply to these tyres providing they permanently display on a sidewall any of the approval markings mentioned in the above paragraph.

Exhausts
7.1 Exhaust System
2 Issue Date: May 2004 The Motor Bicycle and Side Car M.O.T. Inspection Manual
Information
A durable repair to the exhaust system that
effectively prevents leaks is acceptable
providing the system is structurally sound.
Method of Inspection
1. Examine the condition of the exhaust
system including the silencer(s) and
mountings for security, deterioration and
completeness.
2. With the engine running assess the
effectiveness of the silencer(s) in reducing
as far as is reasonable the noise emitted.
3. Check the silencer(s) on all machines for
any unacceptable markings.
Reason for Rejection
a. any part of the exhaust system missing or
excessively deteriorated
b. a leak in the exhaust system which causes
excessive noise to be emitted
c. an exhaust system mounting missing or
one which is in such a condition that it
does not fully support the exhaust
system.
2. A silencer that is in such a condition or is
of such a type that the noise emitted is
clearly in excess of that which would be
produced by a similar machine fitted with
a standard silencer in average condition.
3. A silencer marked 'NOT FOR ROAD
USE', 'TRACK USE ONLY' or
similar words

Registration plate and VIN number
6.3 Registration Plates and Vehicle Identification/Frame Number
4 Issue Date: December 2003 The Motor Bicycle & Side Car M.O.T. Inspection Manual
Information
Registration Plates
Unregistered Vehicles
Unregistered vehicles need not be fitted with
number plates.
Style of Letters/Figures
Letters/figures must be of equal width along
their entire length.
Method of Inspection
1. Check that there is a registration plate
fitted at the rear of the motor bicycle or
sidecar, and check it for security and
condition.
2. Check visually that the letters and figures
are correctly formed and are not
obviously likely to be misread due to, for
example, badly positioned, uncovered or
wrongly coloured retaining bolts etc.
Reason for Rejection
1. A rear registration plate
a. missing
b. so insecure that it is likely to fall off
c. letter or figure missing or incomplete
d. faded, dirty, deteriorated or obscured
so that it is likely to be misread or not
easily legible by a person standing
approximately 15 metres to the rear of
the machine)
e. format incorrect (see additional
information).
2. A rear registration plate with
a. a letter or figure not correctly formed
or likely to be misread
b. letters and/or figures likely to be
misread or not easily legible by a
person standing approximately 15
metres to the rear of the machine
c. a letter or figure which is obviously
not of equal width along its entire
length
d. any feature on a registration plate that
has the effect of changing the
appearance or legibility of any of the
characters of the registration mark, so
the true identity of the machine is less
easily identified.

They have to be also set out like this.

AB01
ABC

NOT like this.

AB01 ABC

"Letters and/or figures likely to be
misread or not easily legible by a
person standing approximately 15
metres to the rear of the machine"

This is required for the MOT so it can be slightly undersize.
This though is not going to be legal for the police requirements !!
You have been warned !!

Electrics
If lights are fitted they MUST all work including a brake light fitted front and rear.
A horn must be fitted, bulb type horns are no longer allowed, you can get a battery operated horn from Halfords or most pedal cycle shops that fits your handlebars,
Indicators must work if they are fitted, if they are not fitted but have the switchgear to operate them then make that switch inoperable for the tester.
Headlight must have a High/low beam and the pattern should not kick up to the right, insulating tape on the lens is perfectly acceptable to get the beam pattern legal, you can pass an MOT with a flat beam pattern, side light must work if it is fitted to the unit or has the facility on the switchgear.
Numberplate light should be fitted also (no white light should be visible from the rear).

If a DAYTIME MOT is to be issued then the only thing you need is a horn.

[B]Bodywork[/B]
Please make sure that none of your bodywork is hanging off, everything is secure (zip ties are fine if needed) and no sharp edges.

Bearings,pivots and linkages
No baggy bearings etc, slight play is allowed only, head bearings can have a slight notch only, if they center themselves with the wheel off the ground then they could fail.

Spokes
Make sure none of your spokes are loose, this is not just for the MOT but also for your safety.

Seat
Must be secure, with no major faults.

Handlebar Grips
If they are loose, wrecked or spin IT WILL FAIL !!

Brake system
Pads to be in good order, mastercylinders to be topped up with fluid, no leaks and all components in good working order, if you have a binding brake IT WILL FAIL !! strip and clean the caliper and fit some new seals.

Forks and seals
A leaking seal will fail too but if its under gaitors or neoprene sleeves then they cant be tampered with by the tester, but you dont ride with knackered seals anyway.......DO YOU. ( if it is just mist then it will pass)
Front and rear suspension must have adequate damping.

Split pins / locking pins etc
If there is the facility for these items, get them fitted. (Wheel spindles, drum brake torque arms etc)

Fuel cap
Must fit correctly and not leak, the seal will be checked and must not be perished.

Oh yes, if your bike is dirty the tester can point blank refuse to test it, this has happened to me a few times and I point them to the jetwash round the corner.
Please keep em clean guys and make a good first impression
24/09/2007 at 19:48
Useful thread. Thanks.
13/11/2007 at 17:51
excellent thread, thanks for taking the time to post it.
14/11/2007 at 20:22
Revolution
Do you have a business in Sheffield? If so let us know and I can come along when the next MOT is due, or needing servicing etc.
14/11/2007 at 20:43
Also any machine after september 2001 must have a legal sized number plate, displaying the outlet and postcode of the plate manufacturer, also bsau stamp
19/11/2007 at 19:07
stuckinarut wrote
Revolution
Do you have a business in Sheffield? If so let us know and I can come along when the next MOT is due, or needing servicing etc.

Yes I have, going to be in Dronfield though pretty soon.
Moving house at the moment but will be set up again this time at home
01/12/2007 at 19:58
dave whit wrote
Also any machine after september 2001 must have a legal sized number plate, displaying the outlet and postcode of the plate manufacturer, also bsau stamp

Just got my DRZ400 MOT'd this morning. This number plate requirement has now been abandoned - just needs to be legal size.
01/12/2007 at 20:03
MarkLG wrote
Just got my DRZ400 MOT'd this morning. This number plate requirement has now been abandoned - just needs to be legal size.

yeh they come up with these ideas mark and then shelve em, difficult when your a tester you dont know whether your coming or going, lol
10/01/2008 at 21:58

Anyone konw what is meant by making the switch inoperable!

Quote - Indicators must work if they are fitted, if they are not fitted but have the switchgear to operate them then make that switch inoperable for the tester

No indicators on EXC, however switches and wiring still on bike

19/01/2008 at 18:59
lee curry wrote (see)

Anyone konw what is meant by making the switch inoperable!

Quote - Indicators must work if they are fitted, if they are not fitted but have the switchgear to operate them then make that switch inoperable for the tester

No indicators on EXC, however switches and wiring still on bike

Try to tape up the indicator switch itself so that the tester sees that its not used.
09/02/2008 at 22:23
I have a DRZ 400 E 02 model that has the head light on all the time but no high beam, an LED rear light on all the time but no brake light. It had an MOT at the time of purchase but is due for renewal in June. Will it pass an MOT without a brake light and no high beam ?
02/03/2008 at 19:43
If it has lights I think it needs brake light switch and hi and low beam as my bike was mot'ed by the previous owner the head light was disconected and taped up, horn was fitted and it has a day light hours mot
09/03/2008 at 22:45

This is a better overview of the MOT requirements.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm

28/04/2008 at 14:24

bugger - didn't think I was going to need a high beam, oh well back to the drawing board to find a dip and high beam switchgear. Bought one without

problem is the ones I've found with the high beam switch also has the indicator switch which I don't want, anyone know of a supplier that does just the dip and high beam?

cheers

danglee

13/09/2008 at 13:38

Just a quickie, Oooh missus!

New to off-roading, bought old DR350, bought some UFO brush guards to fit, and the levers fitted to the bike are just too long, and the "ball ends" are tight up against the inside, and it interferes with lever movement.

I phoned up a bike shop and said "have you got any short levers because.......etc etc" and the guy says "I can get some in for next week, but you can just cut the ball ends off to stop them rubbing up against the inside of the guards".

He assures me that this isn't an MOT failure, just cut off the ends and file them off to smooth.

I always thought that the ball ends were to stop sharp edges stabbing people in case of collision as much as to stop your hand slipping off.

Can I cut my balls off? So to speak.

Cheers folks, grateful for any advice.

Doug.

14/01/2009 at 08:30
Cutting of the balls are illegal....
19/04/2009 at 21:35

Having read the messages on MOTs I think I have a pretty clear idea now on what's needed for daytime MOTs and the fact that if the bike meets certain criteria, i.e. seat height and ground clearance, then there is no MSVA test either as the bike is clearly a trials or enduro machine.  My question is, are these measurments taken with the bike free standing or with rider sitting ?  Basic question I know, but when you are as heavy as I am it makes a BIG difference !

Edited: 19/04/2009 at 21:38
15/02/2010 at 18:32
hi can any one help the gaiters on my forks on cg125 are split but the seals are not leaking just asking is this a mot fail with split gaiters  thanks hughie
09/09/2012 at 14:57

Hi ive just been issued a prohibition notice for not having a brake light on my CR250. I have got a Daytime MOT and it passed with no problems. I'm going to appeal but its a real pain in the ass. The Police man was convinced I was in the wrong. The Revolution post by MR.TALL clearly explains that in a daytime MOT all you are required to have is a horn.

Please help. Thanks

Ozy

Your say
email image
19 messages