Can't start my husqvarna 610

1 to 20 of 23 messages
07/09/2007 at 22:46
Hi, I'm new to this forum so hope i've posted in the right section. (i've also posted in the super moto forum)

Can anyone help as i'm running out of ideas.....

I recently bought a '98 610 te (kickstart only- on left) as a non runner. I've had a nightmare trying to get it to run. I took it down to my local bike garage who are husaberg dealer and they tried to fix the old mag and rotor but to no success, they told me it needed a knew stator and rotor. i have since bought a knew one from husky sport and fitted it.

All I am getting are pops and loud bangs from the exhaust and sometimes back through the carb.

There is a healthy spark, there is good compresion, I have checked the cam timing and i think thats fine, the jet of fuel that squirts down the carb when the throttle is opened works.

I don't know what it could be... maybe i'm not kicking it over hard enough? Maybe i shouldn't be kicking it over with de- compression lever pulled in? I'm new to this type of bike (having owned 4 cylinder jap bikes in the past) and don't know if i'm doing anything wrong.

rob
ps sorry for such a long post.
08/09/2007 at 05:57
1, First off drain the fuel tank and carby completly,then add some fresh clean fuel.
2, Make sure the choke is working properly.
3,If everything appears to be working ,choke ,fueling,sparking,timing etc,then get a couple of strong mates,or find a steep hill.Prefrably both.Put motorcycle in high gear and give it a good fast push/rolling start and release the clutch.This will turn the engine over much quicker than kicking and will clear out any oil residue or stale fuel build up in the cylinder . A bit trickier but also works well,give it a tow with a vehicle.If the bike still won't run,then you have to methodicaly test the fuel system,electrics, timing,valve clearance.
08/09/2007 at 08:12
Slowly kick the starter untill it stops, pull in decomp lever and slowly turn kickstart over a bit more (over TDC) release decomp and then bring up the kickstart to the top and jump on it, make sure there is play in the decomp cable and its not holding an exhaust valve open.
Might be worth checking the valve clearances with the bike being new to you.

Failing that it sounds like it could be ignition timing if the fuel and top end turns out to be good, if the ignition has an adjustable backplate (check for slotted holes) see if there are any markings to line up to, some nob might have had his hand in there and screwed around not knowing what he is doing.
If its sparking and nice and fat/blue then it probably just needs to spark in the right place.
If the holes are slotted then mark up where you are now with the timing and then rotate in one direction about 1mm or less (a few degrees) if it gets worse or stops trying rotate the other way, what you are doing here is just trying to get it to run in a fashion so that when the strobe light at a motorcycle shop is used they can time it up perfectly.
Also while you are in there change the woodruff key as it will have had some hammer, it might be bent or sheared, again throwing out the ignition....this has been known on the big singles.
Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Chris.
11/09/2007 at 13:45
What happened with the Husk,did you get it running yet ?
11/09/2007 at 16:58
This isn't from down Norfolk / Suffolk way is it by any chance?

11/09/2007 at 21:49
Sorry for the delayed response, i've been busy every night with other things -alternator has gone on car now and nc30 won't start as its sat outside for ages too, i'm not having much luck with electrics!!!

I checked the timing when i put the new bits on - scribed mark on crankcase lined up with cast mark on mag. the woodruff key seemed undamaged.
valve clearances seemed to be good too.

It was new fuel a few months ago so maybe i'll put new fuel in. how can tell the choke is working? there is a lever that has two positions that is about 6inches fromcatb- i pressume that is the choke lever. I haven't drained the carb and the bike was sitting for a long time. Surely though if the throttle pump is working the bike will run for a second or two on the fuel thats been jetted in?

I've been kicking it over with the de comp. lever pulled in- does the lever have to be out/off when kicking it over then?

I was thinking before that maybe my mighty 11 stone wasn't really enough to give it a good kick and that 'bump starting' it might work.

I bought the from middlesex/ surrey boarder area. i'm not sue where it came from before that.

Cheers for responses by the way!
12/09/2007 at 14:42
If the bike hasnt been run for a few months first port of call is to replace the fuel and drain the carb, make sure the plug is new as the old one will be soaked due to it cant ignite the piss going through the carb.

Like I said before !!

Slowly kick the starter untill it stops, pull in decomp lever and slowly turn kickstart over a bit more (over TDC) release decomp and then bring up the kickstart to the top and jump on it.
13/09/2007 at 12:39
worth a try..
pull decompressor in and kick engine over 3 times.
let out decomp.
then turn over untill it hits tdc.
pull in decomp lever and gently go over tdc.
let out decomp and kick.

if you find there is still too much compression ease lever a small bit.

I had (at 6ft and 18 stone) to find a kerb to stand on to kick mine over until I tried this from another owner.
you may have to juggle decomp or sell it and get an electric start version.
23/09/2007 at 08:44
I got it running! I took it into work with me, drained the fuel out the carb and tank, cleaned the plug and tried kicking it over using windys methodbut it didn't want to know.

Next i got two mates to help me push it and try and bump start it but again this didn't work (mainly because the back wheel would skid on the damp tarmac).

The third and final try was to tow it with a car. I tied the rope around the headtube (with number board removed) and got my mate to drive at about 15mph, i had the husky in second gear and let the clutch out, at first the back wheel would skid so i would have to jump up and down on saddle, as the engine became more 'free' and began to turn over easier it pop and banged into life. I managed to keep it running for just over a minute and then it died. I can only pressume that the float valve in the carb was sticking and therefore it ran on the fuel that was in the float bowl and stopped. I've stripped the carb off and and am going to stip it and clean it.

Thanks everyone for all your help, i'll keep you posted on how i get on when i've cleaned out the carb.

Rob
06/04/2008 at 22:35

Hi to all again. I've given in and admitted defeat, the husky is too difficult for me to start so i've bought an 04 husaberg 650 which luckily for me starts on the second (hard) kick and also has the bonus of a starter motor!

So this brings me to say that i'm selling the husky if anyone is interested. I will also be selling the new mag and stator seperatley as it turns out the original one wasn't at fault.

I'll be putting an ad up and will have some pictures available in the next week or so.

Rob

Edited: 06/04/2008 at 22:35
06/04/2008 at 22:56

Rob.

sent you a message.

07/04/2008 at 10:06

That was interesting to read, I never thought it would be so hard to start!. what a shame.

I've never touched the decomp lever on mine, as I don't really know what to do with it!.

I'd have added that whilst pushing/towing it, you'd need to be in 3rd or 4th gear, otherwise it would just skid the rear wheel due to the compression.

09/04/2008 at 00:33
I'm saying nothing,  i once hid behind a service station, as I was exhausted and could not manage to kick my LC 4 any more.
09/04/2008 at 22:17
 i,m sure that's not too far away for all of us!.
10/04/2008 at 18:35

Ran out of fuel on my husaberg last night- couldn't believe how much it uses compared to my nc30. By the time i'd finished kicking it back to life I was nearly too exhausted to ride it home. I've now worked out how the taps work in order to get a reserve (you don't leave em both to on).

Got some prices in mind for husky...

£600 for the bike, with nearly new knobblies and i've got some supermoto wheels for it with newish tires- want about £350 for those. £250 for the mag (cost me over £300)...

Any good to anyone?

17/04/2008 at 22:06

Hi all, sorry for delay-  my girlfriend broke her wrist snowboarding in tamworth snowdome on monday so i've been up ther for a few days waiting with her whilst she had an op to have it re aligned and wired.

Back to something more interesting.....

I had a fiddle with the husky on sunday and decided to check a few things, one being the nut holding the stator on.

I put a socket on it to check it was tight and it wasn't, it wasn't loose but it wasn't as tight as I had done it initially so I took the nut and stator off with the intention of re seating it and re fitting it only to find the woodruff key (half moon shape locating piece) had snapped leaving half in the slot on the shaft and the other half in the stator wheel.

I'd hazard a guess that this was the problem- i obviously hadn't done the stator nut up to the right torque, it had worked slightly loose and the woodruff key snapped causing the timing to mess up and the engine to stop- nothing to do with the carb and fuel. trying to start it with timing out would give all the symptoms i've had- pops and bangs etc.

I've ordered a new key from huskysport and shall fit it when i get the chance to see if my theory is right!

Wheels are on ebay by the way if you search this number 140225560120 you'll find em. I put a buy it now of £320 if you haven't got an ebay account then you can message me with an offer. 

18/04/2008 at 17:01
That'll be it - betcha!
29/04/2008 at 19:23

Over the weekend I changed the woodruff key and tightened up the mag cover using the proper tool- On the second kick the bike fired up and ran perfectly. All that grief for the sake of not tightening the mag wheel properly.

The bike is still for sale if anyone wants to make an offer.....

19/04/2010 at 14:05

Hello..

Does somebody know where can I buy replacment stator for husqvarna sm610 2000 year..or can somebody repair my broken?

26/05/2010 at 20:36
would any one be good enough to tell which glue I could use to refit the magnets back into the fly wheel cap. I've a 98 te 610. And the magnets have slipped so I have a weak spark. I've all the settings and possistions for it but just don't know which glue to use. Cheers matt
1 to 20 of 23 messages