Ady Smith off road school.

13 messages
05/01/2007 at 20:55
Am booked on a two day off road school with Ady Smith mid March.

Just wondered if anyone has been on one and has any thoughts or advice before I go.

Cheers.
05/01/2007 at 21:23
Don't let him pass you!!
mot
06/01/2007 at 12:19
i did a one day session with him earlier this year. I thought it was really good. Don't know what level you're doing but we were total novices and it was really good at teaching the basic skills which you wouldn't learn just bimbling round a field on your own.

I did it on a 400exc but he had the full range of bikes, and if i did it again i'd jump on one of the smaller 2 strokes. I was falling off a fair bit and it was very muddy and picking the bigger bikes up caked in twice their weight in mud was getting a bit hard by the end of the day!

mot
31/01/2007 at 16:14
funbags wrote
Am booked on a two day off road school with Ady Smith mid March.

Just wondered if anyone has been on one and has any thoughts or advice before I go.

Cheers.

Im booked in for Feb 18th&19th at Rugely. will report back

My cousin used to race on the same minute as him, said he was most professional in the pits area and expects his instruction will be the same

Every man carries a circle of hell around his head, like a halo. Every man, every man has to go through hell to reach his paradise
04/02/2007 at 21:16
stickysidedown wrote
Im booked in for Feb 18th&19th at Rugely. will report back

My cousin used to race on the same minute as him, said he was most professional in the pits area and expects his instruction will be the same

Excellent, same venue that I'm going to so any tips would be appreciated. Hope you enjoy.
19/02/2007 at 10:38
Ok just done a one day enduro school at the Rugely site so heres what to expect.

Bike set up session
trail ride round woods to warm up

lots more trail rides (bit like a woods enduro circuit rather than green lane) between sessions which included

Downhill low speed descents
low speed clutch controlled ascents (tackling exposed roots and so forth)
Riding Ruts
Adverse cambers
Tight woods
Fast and open stretches
flat turns
bermed turns
Jumps (small)
there was a motocross section of sandy peat (well drained) that sucks power like a good un as you approach the jumps
crossing logs
crossing logs going uphill
and jumping logs

All in all plenty of riding and good fun, there wasnt any real feedback on individual riding which was a bit of a dissapointment as on the motocross track I felt I was repeating mistakes but didnt know where, It was more a chance to just practice on a good variety of surfaces and conditions. (I'd go again)

I hired out a 200ktm because thats what I own but he's happy for you to swap around and try different bikes, the 125 was a revelation to me as it's so easy to ride on the pipe

The terrain was difficult enough to be interesting to someone starting out in enduro though not anywhere as hard as the events in the series I ride and didnt cover the three problem areas for me in those which are off camber roots, large drop offs and tree litter (our club lay down fir branches over large stretches of the course at times) That said I guess the balance between pushing people on and sending them to hospital has to be found!

Ady was a nice guy and approachable, patient with questions (even dumb ones) Bloody good day out

Funbags et al - Enjoy

Every man carries a circle of hell around his head, like a halo. Every man, every man has to go through hell to reach his paradise
19/02/2007 at 12:22
Cool.

Sounds like you had a good day.

Where abouts is this place in Rugeley ? is it down by the river / railway station.

Or on the old power station ?

I lived in Rugeley for 20 years (which is why I can spell it right ) but can't think where his place would be.

Cheers

[size=1]

IF YOU DON'T CRASH .............. YOUR NOT ON A DIRT BIKE :burnout:
19/02/2007 at 19:35
jimbrodie1 wrote

Where abouts is this place in Rugeley ? is it down by the river / railway station.

Or on the old power station ?

I lived in Rugeley for 20 years (which is why I can spell it right ) but can't think where his place would be.

Cheers

Long Barn Farm, off Bardy Lane, Brereton Cross, Rugeley, Staffs. WS15 4LD

At a guess.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Abelrider/Newsig.gif

19/02/2007 at 20:15
Abel wrote
Long Barn Farm, off Bardy Lane, Brereton Cross, Rugeley, Staffs. WS15 4LD

At a guess.

Ay not bad for a stab in the dark

JB it's alongside the golf course in a few places and with a good view of the power station at Brereton Cross

19/02/2007 at 21:15
Sounds great - can't wait.
Did he have more than one of each KTM up there to use?

Do you think it would be possible to have a group of very mixed ability? Our group has everyone from virtual first timer on an off roader to full on motocross racer in it.

Glad you had a good time, sounds like I might need to start some fitness work before I go...
20/02/2007 at 00:46
funbags wrote
Sounds great - can't wait.
Did he have more than one of each KTM up there to use?

Do you think it would be possible to have a group of very mixed ability? Our group has everyone from virtual first timer on an off roader to full on motocross racer in it.

Glad you had a good time, sounds like I might need to start some fitness work before I go...

There was a mixed group with us, several had been before others were quite green, I went with a guy who did some green laning a couple of years ago, had a go on my bike more recently crashed and went blind for a day. he said he felt like the new kid at school and was quite pale!, it all dissapeared on the move though. Everyone had a 'give it a go approach' and that was the only pre-requisite. the usual thing where beginners tense and then get tired applied but nothing was that hard per se (faster/better you are the more laps you do)and not as hard as a 3hr clubman enduro by a long stretch (though according to Ady there easy in the south)

Bikes there were 125, 200 2T & 250 and 400 4T

19/03/2007 at 20:26
Well, got back late last night after 2 days in Rugeley.

That was one of the best weekends i have had on a bike.

9 of us went up and Ady put on a great show for the full 2 days.

There were riders of all levels in our group from MX racer to complete dirtbike novice and he managed to have us all riding the same stuff, together, right from the start. He seemed to be able to instill confidence in everyone and reassured us that we could manage all of the sections he chose for us to tackle. Only after the end of the day when we looked back could we see how hard some of the stuff we'd done actually was. And the results on the motocross track at the end of sunday proved how much we'd learned.

The setup was great, good bikes well maintained and set up, good instruction with an emphasis on time on the bike rather than watching someone else do it, the course was tailored to us through the day depending on what we wanted to do next and it all came together to make for a really good experience.

I recommend it for anyone at any level of biking, he can definitely teach you something useful that will improve your skills.
25/12/2011 at 09:30
any reports on the rugleley location,  i have been given a voucher for a 1 day try out day. just want to pick the best location.
Your say
email image
13 messages