Trackday riders are all slow... It's not as fast as racing ?

1 to 20 of 155 messages
18/12/2007 at 14:22
Well...

I see this a lot

"when you race you'll realise it's all faster than trackdays"

"trackdayers are slow"

"even fast group is only the same as F400"

etc etc...

how can this be ? if so many of the people on trackdays are current racers, and trying hard ? Surely you can't all be the best ?
18/12/2007 at 14:28
Indeed

and on a day or two before a race meet its likely a lot of racers will be out to for practise at a trackday

trackdays are all different. i am a lower-mid to rear of the pack as far as race speeds are concerned and some trackday fast groups im rarely overtaken - others a lot.

depends who is there on the day

also you probably haver a broader band of ability and pace in any trackday group. You could have 20 seconds spread of laptimes in a trackday fast group. no bad thing, just the way it is.

Entry Forms? Check
Warmers? Check
Dogtags? Check
Transponder? Check
Talent? ....er
18/12/2007 at 14:36
I very much enjoy that type of post - and as a general rule they are correct.

However - after looking forward to riding on the track with one VD racer, I was dissappointed to be denied the chance due to the fact he was in the inters group.

I can only assume assume his knowledge of the fast group is from watching it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/ducatipete/DucatiPeteBannerclean.jpg   Click 2 go large! I made Ceiling cat go blind. MR TOURETTE-MASTER SIGN WRITER!
18/12/2007 at 14:58
bigmart wrote
Indeed

and on a day or two before a race meet its likely a lot of racers will be out to for practise at a trackday

trackdays are all different. i am a lower-mid to rear of the pack as far as race speeds are concerned and some trackday fast groups im rarely overtaken - others a lot.

depends who is there on the day

also you probably haver a broader band of ability and pace in any trackday group. You could have 20 seconds spread of laptimes in a trackday fast group. no bad thing, just the way it is.

10/10 BUT

I hear plenty of trackday riders bragging how quick they are when in reality they arent compared to racers. Swings and roundabouts.

Enjoy what you do...
18/12/2007 at 15:25
So what's the best way to get up to 'race pace?'

I have been riding for about 2 1/2 years now, did my first TD after 6 months and have done about 15-20 TD's this year. I generally go in the fast group and find it completely depends on the day as to how fast I am in comparison with the rest of the pack.

Anyway, I was considering entering the mintwins series this year, however, I had decided to put it off for a year to get a bit more experience on track and hopefully get faster and nearer race speed, by doing another year of trackdays. However by the sounds of it I'm not likely to get up to race speed by doing trackdays, so would it be better to plunge myself into the deep end and start racing this year?

Cheers

18/12/2007 at 15:30
Yes

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/ducatipete/DucatiPeteBannerclean.jpg   Click 2 go large! I made Ceiling cat go blind. MR TOURETTE-MASTER SIGN WRITER!
18/12/2007 at 15:30
sweepdoggydog wrote

I have been riding for about 2 1/2 years now, did my first TD after 6 months and have done about 15-20 TD's this year. I generally go in the fast group and find it completely depends on the day as to how fast I am in comparison with the rest of the pack.

Anyway, I was considering entering the mintwins series this year, however, I had decided to put it off for a year to get a bit more experience on track and hopefully get faster and nearer race speed, by doing another year of trackdays. However by the sounds of it I'm not likely to get up to race speed by doing trackdays, so would it be better to plunge myself into the deep end and start racing this year?

Cheers

Racing is the best way IMHO. Get your licence sorted and get out there!. You will soon find yourself comming on lots by being out racing.

Minitwins is an excellent starter class, it wont be slow up front by all means but it usually attracts a decent bunch of people of all abilities so you will nearly always have someone to race with.

Get out there and enjoy!.

Failing that consider the racedays.net events. generally only inters and above level and they have fun races too so enabling you to get a good idea of what racing will be like. Very addictive.
18/12/2007 at 15:49
Got to agree with you weeksy, if trackdays are so slow, then hoe come thier are so many 'racers' turning up to get a sneaky eyein etc. Just because you attain an ACU licence that doesnt just give you an automatic 5 sec's a lap off at brands. Yes their are some slower peps at track days, hence the groups, otherwise they would all be fast/faster/and really rapid( racers).

And i have been to many a track day over the last 7 years when there have been ooddles of racers, private,small teams, and in more recent years a lot of R6 cuppas, and bigger race teams.

Some my point.........

Weeksy is right, and if the racing fraterity on here think trackdays are all to slow...... then......... dont go on them. Go on these ever so good MSV practice days, ( they wont last not financialy viable). or even better miss out on track days and therefore the opportunity to sneak in practise before that oh so important life changing ego boosting emra/Derby/Mro meeting.

Well thats me in the sin bin for a while
18/12/2007 at 15:51
Ducati Pete wrote
Yes

lol Wonderful answer,wot else can you say.
18/12/2007 at 15:54
Soakaway wrote
Got to agree with you weeksy, if trackdays are so slow, then hoe come thier are so many 'racers' turning up to get a sneaky eyein etc. Just because you attain an ACU licence that doesnt just give you an automatic 5 sec's a lap off at brands. Yes their are some slower peps at track days, hence the groups, otherwise they would all be fast/faster/and really rapid( racers).

And i have been to many a track day over the last 7 years when there have been ooddles of racers, private,small teams, and in more recent years a lot of R6 cuppas, and bigger race teams.

Some my point.........

Weeksy is right, and if the racing fraterity on here think trackdays are all to slow...... then......... dont go on them. Go on these ever so good MSV practice days, ( they wont last not financialy viable). or even better miss out on track days and therefore the opportunity to sneak in practise before that oh so important life changing ego boosting emra/Derby/Mro meeting.

Well thats me in the sin bin for a while

I think you will find the only reason most go onto TD's is because of the lack of actual test days.
18/12/2007 at 16:06
IT seems like ALL racers say "Racing is so fast compared to trackdays"

but how can that be, as more than 1 racer goes on each trackday ?

if you have 20 racers on a trackday, surely it's pretty much as fast as a race ? Not everyone can be faster than all 20 of eachother ?

I don't understand.

Do the racers actually mean

"Trackdays are slow, i have to overtake people a couple of times in a session".

Or is it just all bravado/bullshit ?

Surely if 20 racers are out there you can't all be 'never overtaken on a trackday' ?
18/12/2007 at 16:11
weeksy wrote
IT seems like ALL racers say "Racing is so fast compared to trackdays"

but how can that be, as more than 1 racer goes on each trackday ?

if you have 20 racers on a trackday, surely it's pretty much as fast as a race ? Not everyone can be faster than all 20 of eachother ?

I don't understand.

Do the racers actually mean

"Trackdays are slow, i have to overtake people a couple of times in a session".

Or is it just all bravado/bullshit ?

Surely if 20 racers are out there you can't all be 'never overtaken on a trackday' ?

Weeksy, can you add another category. As a racer myself i dont really care. Im sure most racers dont either.

So can we start a new thread.?.

Why do trackday riders care so much about how quick racers are?.
18/12/2007 at 16:13
they all overtake me ......

but i'm never beaten to the donut trailer ...... I'm the Floyd Mayweather of Donut Demolition ....

"Please don't call me fluff" as uttered by OB much to his embaressment on the 11/04/2005

18/12/2007 at 16:42
Dibble wrote
they all overtake me ......

but i'm never beaten to the donut trailer ...... I'm the Floyd Mayweather of Donut Demolition ....

LOL you not met me then im a club racer and a lover of all things doughnut mmm,mmmm:burp:
will have to have a race at a trackday, and not really racing cos its a trackday ;

Right back on track i allways seems to me that im a target on trackdays just cos i got race #s on the bike
fact is im at least 2 to 4 secs a lap slower on any given trackday compaird to when i race, why, ? i dont know maybe its cos there is nothing to win or lose
i just like to ride around with mates and have some fun, but still not as much fun as a proper race though
as you were

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/147044/Signature_15905.jpg

EMRA 1300 ROADSTOCK CHAMPION 2008

EMRA 1300 roadstock class runner up 2007moke:

EMRA Roadstocks #167

If Wankers could fly this place would be an Airport

18/12/2007 at 17:24
As with racing it depends who's there
I've been on trackdays with BSB/WSB even MotoGp riders, also been on days where I've been the fastest guy there. Your average club racer is no faster than the guys at the front of the fast group, but the above average club racer certainly is. As Sarah says, it doesn't matter
18/12/2007 at 17:37
While it common to compare track day pace and race pace in reality we're not comparing apples with apples.

Race event - most riders highly capable around a circuit and pushing close to the limit to gain fractions of seconds advantage. Will take any sniff of a passing opportunity including lifting people up mid corner and pushing the bloke in front off their ideal line. Every active thought, action and £ spent is dedicated to getting a faster lap time.

Track event - variable standards that differ by group, circuit, TDO - some mega fast, others not so fast. Higher degree of caution used to avoid crashing (not that this seems to work...), strict guidelines on how to pass and always unacceptable to take someone's line. No prizes for finishing first, second or 25th, no series points and often road bikes without a penny spent on them to adapt for track.

So a comparison between the two seems pointless - racers are in a race environment and track days are in a track day environment. They aint the same thing. We're all circuit riders of some description - don't know why so many seemed obsessed in trying to gain internet forum capital of one over the other.

As Dave and Sarah say, who cares? :burnout:
18/12/2007 at 18:58
Weeksy, did I really wind you up that much yesterday? It wasn't meant that way, just telling Marko my honest thoughts.

Addicted!
18/12/2007 at 19:23
I feel like i go well, having done a number of tds in the fast group and rarely getting passed i decided racing to be the natural progression for some one who
a/ thinks their fairly fast (me )
b/ wants to go fast (me )

So i got my ACU sorted a couple of months ago and next year im looking forward to f600s Derby Phoenix and some EMRA meets as they are local.
Soon see just how fast i am or not as the case may be.....
18/12/2007 at 19:27
I know I only did a slow, novice year's worth of racing, but my laptimes between trackdays and races were markedly different. What's the point of pushing it on a trackday? There's no points or trophies. They're just used for track familiarisation/bike set-up etc, or to have a nice day with your mates, not to race and go and ten tenths.
Not all trackdayers are slow, but a majority are nowhere near as quick as they think they are in the big scheme of things imo

http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyhathaway/Grib/848sig_trc.jpg

18/12/2007 at 19:29
sweepdoggydog wrote

Go racing, get your arse kicked, get better, fall off, get better again until your pace goes up lots and you can get some decent results Just got to get in and do it.

http://www.btinternet.com/~tonyhathaway/Grib/848sig_trc.jpg

1 to 20 of 155 messages