Trackbike daylight MOT requirements

1 to 20 of 26 messages
Oz
22/04/2005 at 18:52

Admin link: Top 10 reasons for failing your MoT
Admin link: Top 10 Sub-£2,000 track bikes

This must have been asked numerous times, but i've done a search & can't find any threads on this.

My trackbike was bought with a daylight MOT, it has a working horn & speedo but no lights or indicators, the fella I purchased it from was pretty adamant this is legal.
I've had a look @ www.motuk.co.uk but it doesn't really (to me) answer in a straight forward manner, do you need a rear brake light or not & does it have to function with front & rear levers.
What I do know is that it seems to depend on where you have the MOT done, some testers don't even know you can have one.
I can also imagine that old bill would constantly be on ya case

Anyone got any info or experinace on this? I don't ride on the road much now but it would be nice every so often on a sunny sunday

...could you describe the ruckus sir?
22/04/2005 at 18:54
im an mot tester and your bike has to have ALL the lights or NONE of the lights, and it doesnt need a horn or mirrors either for a daylight mot. but it does need a full size number plate, helps keep the feds at bay. ive got a daylight use only r6 and ive never been pulled even in wales!!!

Team Purple Endurance
cbr600f steelie endurance bike hmrc endurance #10
bandit 1200 wheelie monster, avec fooked crank!!!
Oz
22/04/2005 at 19:13
vtrfirestorm998 wrote
im an mot tester and your bike has to have ALL the lights or NONE of the lights, and it doesnt need a horn or mirrors either for a daylight mot

Blimey, that was a quick reply

This is what I mean, I've read so many conflicting stories, you say "no horn" I was lead to belive this was a "must have" (no disrespect meant )it's not the getting the MOT that bothers me, it's the Police reaction, I mean if I fitted a rear brake light for safety sake, would the Police say "your nicked sunshine, you can't have one light & not the rest"

Is it really worth the agro, I have a work bike I can use when I want (600 hornet) but would love to take the trackbike out once in a while, even just for testing purposes between trackdays, i.e bedding in new brake pads

22/04/2005 at 20:53
vtrfirestorm998 wrote
im an mot tester and your bike has to have ALL the lights or NONE of the lights, and it doesnt need a horn or mirrors either for a daylight mot. but it does need a full size number plate, helps keep the feds at bay. ive got a daylight use only r6 and ive never been pulled even in wales!!!

thats a surprise to me m8.
i got told i need a brake light and working horn for a daylight mot
the requirements for racing roadstock class are number plate,brake light(disconnected) and working horn as the race class is supposed to be for road legal bikes

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/stud69er/whoa.gifhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/stud69er/1bell.gifhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/stud69er/Resizeof277962.jpg
EMRA no.69
22/04/2005 at 22:05
Last time this came up, I found a link somewhere that said that the bike needed a working horn.

Colin, not an mot tester

# 99
22/04/2005 at 22:34
colinrsv wrote
Last time this came up, I found a link somewhere that said that the bike needed a working horn.

Colin, not an mot tester

yep that what i got told , i used to ride my k1 with race bodywork on the road for just over a year. i acctuly got a reply from mcn lawyers stating what was and more importanly what isnt.
main thing being if you have a working rear brake light then in the eyes of the law all others must be fitted and workin, you can still have them fitted but must cover them up so other road users dont get confused when you brake.
working speedo is also a must as along with hooter, push bike(clown) honk honk horns will not pass fit. if bike is not yet 3 yrs old then no day time mot is needed, but other thing to consider is insurance company will more than likely load you (mine did 15%)and if the weather sunny when you go out if it turns wett and a lot of rain = poor visabilaty, therefore can get a tug so you have to sit and wait happens a lot believe me couldnt be botherd to take on off road/race fairings so just use on trackdays now ahh yes mirriors not needed but i found that was a complete pain as i spent more time looking backwards not just for coppers but to check mates were still there

ps the busest place i went on it was brands wsb last year went past many many police even parked up in side entrance oppisite there mobile office not one batted an eye lid though i did put the road can back on and a full size reg plate

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/147044/Signature_15905.jpg

EMRA 1300 ROADSTOCK CHAMPION 2008

EMRA 1300 roadstock class runner up 2007moke:

EMRA Roadstocks #167

If Wankers could fly this place would be an Airport

22/04/2005 at 22:39
stud69er wrote
thats a surprise to me m8.
i got told i need a brake light and working horn for a daylight mot
the requirements for racing roadstock class are number plate,brake light(disconnected) and working horn as the race class is supposed to be for road legal bikes

so if i put my rear light back on can i use my bike then ?
can the light be an after market (led type one ) or do i have to refitt orginal ?

number plater sitting on window ledge ................... check

working horn still fitted .........................................check

rear light seat unit / led light .................................check

what do you think shall i shant i ?????????????

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/147044/Signature_15905.jpg

EMRA 1300 ROADSTOCK CHAMPION 2008

EMRA 1300 roadstock class runner up 2007moke:

EMRA Roadstocks #167

If Wankers could fly this place would be an Airport

23/04/2005 at 04:28
I have just put my bike on the road with a day time only MOT.

The MOT station made me fitt :-

a) a rear light to work off both levers

b) a full size # plate with reflector

c) horn
23/04/2005 at 06:05
just checked the MOT manual lads to check after your previous comments, it DOESN'T say that you need a horn or a brake light, although bloody good ideas for safety! the only ting you need is a full size number plate, not even a reflector. Kev off to find a scanner so i can post this bloody page to stop all the confusion>

Team Purple Endurance
23/04/2005 at 09:43
Tomcat wrote
You DO need both a reflector and stoplight, see MoT testers manual here

There may be more, suggest you read it and see for yourself - especially section on exhausts.

One problem with this manual its 4 years out of date!! Also if you read the proper one, it says "This inspection applies to; all machines *except* those which have *neither front nor rear position lamps, or has such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are only used during daylight hours, and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility*." That has come straight from this years testers manual. The biggest problem i have found as I'm a quality controller for 6 testing stations is the testers dont read the manual properly, and they dont read the special notices(update) either. I have to physically watch over their shoulders to make sure they do and make them sign disclaimers to verify this!! And to add to the exhaust comment "fitment of a non standard exhaust irrespective of type is no longer reason for failure" special notice 2005/2 jan 05! Im gonna get a scanner later and post the OFFICIAL testers manual to clear all this bickering up!

Team Purple Endurance
23/04/2005 at 10:25
the way i have had it explained is that there is no such thing as a daytime mot.
its the same mot as any other but you will obviously get done by old bill if you ride at night. a friend of mine did a steel frame cbr last year and had to fit a horn and number plate.nothing else.
everything a rear light does can be done with hand signals.

but as vtr said safety wise a back light is good to have especially for your mates behind !
Oz
23/04/2005 at 12:03
vtrfirestorm998 wrote
I'm gonna get a scanner later and post the OFFICIAL testers manual to clear all this bickering up!

Great idea

23/04/2005 at 21:27
taffrsv wrote
I have just put my bike on the road with a day time only MOT.

The MOT station made me fitt :-

a) a rear light to work off both levers

b) a full size # plate with reflector

c) horn

I rode my R1 trackbike with these three criteria last year, no problem. I did have a KR1 250 trackbike, but when I took this for MOT the tester told me to tape up the rear lights,as vtrfirestorm998 said, it was all or nothing at this particular test station. I currently have a 636 with track bodywork,which has a horn,stop light and mirrors. My advice is that for your own safety, keep these three thing. If you buy one of those cheap backlight/no. plate mounts, they only take about 5 mins to take off before a track day, as does the mirrors. If your worried about keeping the brake light and getting into bother with the law, carry a roll of tape to stick over it, sorted at the side of the road, officer
25/04/2005 at 10:30
Im about to get my zx6 done in track bodywork as I fancy the odd blast out and ride to BSB meets that arent too far away and have been told as long as the bike arrives with:

Working horn.
Working rear brake light.
Full size number plate.
Reflector.

They will pass it.

Insurance company have added a description of race/ replica fairing for £10 a year more at renewal last week and its been stipulated it has no forward facing lights.
The bike isnt 3 years old but Ive decided its not worth the hassle of not getting a daylight MOT done and carrying it along with insurance just incase I get stopped the odd time I go out on the road.

As far as I understand I'll be ok unless I meet a copper that really knows the law as most will accept daylight mot but - According to the Vehicle Lighting Regulations if a vehicle is supplied at new with forward facing lights they should be fitted to be classed as roadworthy.
The only exception is trials bikes (Douggie Lampkin type).
This (VLR) is made more of a point by fitting a rear brake light.
So if if a copper knows about VLR it could be interesting. But after asking at least half a dozen serving officers only one mentioned VLR and the rest said daylight MOT fine.
29/04/2005 at 11:49
My mate has a MOT testers license,he says that as long as my bike has a legal number plate he will test it
No lights of any descripton required,but a locking fuel cap is

My race bike will be road legal and blasting across north york moors soon :burnout:
29/04/2005 at 12:40
Well look out for a red Mille #43 then :burnout: will be at Helmsley tonight for a quick cuppa then home for loads of ale
29/04/2005 at 12:40
I took my "fully road legal" trackbike for an MOT last week, fully expecting to fail on several items such as no chainguard, no front sidelight (parallel import I think?), wrongly dipping beam, tiny indicators, straightthru silencer etc.

The guy did a thorough job, kept referring to the manual, and found nothing to fail it on! He did say that the pass didn't mean the can was legal, and I think my tiny reflector was borderline. What he did like was the giant, legal plate and the fact that the can was unmarked. The beam just dipped flat after all.

Just a thought, wouldn't a pair of bolt on rally type lamps fixed to trackday bodywork allow you to get a full MOT, especially if you're planning on using a stoplamp anyway - which is essential IMHO.
29/04/2005 at 12:46
taffrsv wrote
Well look out for a red Mille #43 then :burnout: will be at Helmsley tonight for a quick cuppa then home for loads of ale

It`ll be a couple of weeks before I get out.

Then whitby here I come :burnout:
I love the smell of fish :burp:
29/04/2005 at 12:48
where abouts are you from then

I love a bit of greasy smelly fingers myself
29/04/2005 at 13:03
taffrsv wrote
where abouts are you from then

I love a bit of greasy smelly fingers myself

Barnsley
I could say the posh bit but I`d be telling porkies
1 to 20 of 26 messages