Ventura Luggage System or Givi Top Box

9 messages
10/10/2005 at 09:31
Hi,

As the title asks...

Am off to France next year for a week on the Ninja (ZX636 C1).

Any pros and cons for the above mentioned?

Cheers
10/10/2005 at 10:56
Can't speak fo the Ventura, but I have a big Givi top box and it is great. Everything concealed and locked away.

On the other hand it probably won't hold as much, I strap a bag on the pillion as well as the top box if I am touring.

Cousin Jack

(a member of an oppressed minority whose legitimate aspirations to nationhood have been brutally suppressed by the Anglo Saxon invaders. Remember An Gof !)
10/10/2005 at 11:20
The luggage I am looking at are both 45l litres, so capacity isnt an issue.

I have seen how the Ventura luggage fits onto my bike, but how to Givi top boxes fit? Are they secure? Do they effect handling?

The Ventura gear is only shower proof, but I am guessing that the Givi is fully waterproof
10/10/2005 at 12:12
Lloydy wrote
The luggage I am looking at are both 45l litres, so capacity isnt an issue.

I have seen how the Ventura luggage fits onto my bike, but how to Givi top boxes fit? Are they secure? Do they effect handling?

The Ventura gear is only shower proof, but I am guessing that the Givi is fully waterproof

I chose a top box over the Ventura system. The deciding factor was the appearance when the system isn't on the bike. The Givi slots onto a very neat plate that isn't much bigger than the original fitment. The Ventura, even if you replace the big hoop with the smaller "grabrail", looks like a cheapo luggage rack.

But other than that, I guess you've got the factors of security and waterproofing in favour of the top box. In favour of the Ventura you've got load carrying capacity (weight, I mean, not volume), flexibility, and weight distribution (it's carried further forward).

My topbox doesn't give me a handling problem, but I've no experience of your specific bike.
10/10/2005 at 12:28
We've got both, use Ventura when touring on the 'nice' bikes, and Givi top box when using the commuters. We have found the Givi makes a difference to handling (CB500!), but it is very convenient, and you can leave two helmets securely on the bike (well, when I say securely, it would be very easy for someone to force a topbox open if they wished to do so!).

Depends on if you want to have the luggage on all the time, or only when you are touring. If all the time I'd go for Givi, if only when touring I'd go for Ventura (you can remove the rails between trips and the bike returns to its former look).

Its no good looking for the needle if you have already lost the thread.
22/02/2010 at 18:50
 I have a venture luggage for a cbr 600r if anybody is interested?
22/02/2010 at 19:59

Buy a spare pillion seat off ebay and attach a top box to the seat!!  this gives you the luggage space when you want it and a standard bike when you don't. Absolutely no, cutting or fitting of horrible looking bars or plates!! Only prob with this way of doing it is if you want to carry pillion.  Other wise its brilliant.  I've done this with my last 2 bikes and its really simple to do. Plus as the box is right behind me it doesn't effect the handling etc.

25/02/2010 at 15:11
i agree with ginner have done this on my gixer1000 with a givi v46 top box really easy to do if i can work out out how to upload a photo i would show it.have been flat out on german autobahns and no stability problems.my mate has done the same with his zx10 alsowe can fit tent sleeping bag and kit for 1 week no problem.
27/02/2010 at 18:57

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab42/gixerbill/001.jpg

Your say
email image
9 messages