French Toll roads

1 to 20 of 31 messages
11/05/2006 at 17:45
Im going to France at the end of this month and just wondered how much the french charge for their motorways? how much do bikes have to pay?
11/05/2006 at 18:09
Going to le Rochelle via Le Mons and was thinking that if time permits then I will go back via le Touquet (not sure thats spelt right). So how do other people do it then? break a decent size euro note and use the change all the way down? or can you just pay for one that will take you all the way?
11/05/2006 at 18:27
Jonny_Boy wrote
Going to le Rochelle via Le Mons and was thinking that if time permits then I will go back via le Touquet (not sure thats spelt right). So how do other people do it then? break a decent size euro note and use the change all the way down? or can you just pay for one that will take you all the way?

IIRC you get a ticket from an automatic machine when you enter the autoroute, which you PUT SAFELY SOMEWHERE IT WON'T BLOW AWAY OR GET WET! , and when you leave the toll-paying section and present the ticket at the "peage" booth the amount you owe is calculated, depending on how many miles you've done on the toll-paying bit. And don't worry about not understanding if you don't speak french - the amount is also lit up on a big screen underneath the booth. They're all manned by real people who give you the change if you have to pay with notes.

However - be warned - sometimes these booths have gendarmes idling around in them and checking that you haven't completed the section you've ridden in a time which obviously exceeds the speed limit ... so if you like to blat along really fast, then stop somewhere for a nice looong cup of coffee mid-section!

To Do Is To Be - Socrates
To Be Is To Do - Plato
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra
11/05/2006 at 18:36
hmmm, sounds good.... cheers for that!!
11/05/2006 at 20:24
Why would you take your bike on the Mway all the way through France Their non Mway roads are superb, proper scenery, little or no traffic, hardly any policing or cameras, direct, and free I know where I would rather be on a bike.. allow an extra hour a day for travelling and enjoy proper France

Tu cara= mi culo 

http://www.solentsupermotos.co.uk/images/ssbanner.gif

www.thewheelieschool.co.uk/

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:2EcbHuM6KbMK0M:http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%2520B/Husqvarna%2520SM610%252007.jpg
11/05/2006 at 22:14
Jonny_Boy wrote

If coming back via Le touquet come up the coast road skirting boulogne (but dont go through it, its a dump ) Use the D940 that goes through Wimereux and Wissant, lovely road with some nice bends and not haunted by spot fine gendarmes and avoids the toll roads too

I wear Orange overalls and pick up crashed loons from the track at weekends moke:

TIT#202AA
www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/
www.fwr.co.uk/ ..cheap tyres, fast delivery
www.thewheelieschool.co.uk/...managed to teach a wheelie virgin in a couple of hours

The only thing Bigyin knows about Traffic Law is how to break every last mother f*cking one of them.......... Abel

11/05/2006 at 22:43
If you use www.mappy.co.uk and set the type of vehicle, it tells you the road tolls for the journey you specify (within France), as well as the route, and fixed radar points.
12/05/2006 at 07:15
brilec wrote
If you use www.mappy.co.uk and set the type of vehicle, it tells you the road tolls for the journey you specify (within France), as well as the route, and fixed radar points.

Brilliant link - never knew the site existed. Dead handy as a back-up to the GPS too.

Cheers!

Al
12/05/2006 at 10:30
Blackal wrote
Brilliant link - never knew the site existed. Dead handy as a back-up to the GPS too.

Cheers!

Al

There's a thread with info on on-line routing facilities on here somewhere. This is probably about the right time to give it a boing. I'll dig it out.....
12/05/2006 at 10:44
Rubythecat wrote
the amount you owe is calculated, depending on how many miles you've done on the toll-paying bit. And don't worry about not understanding if you don't speak french - the amount is also lit up on a big screen underneath the booth. They're all manned by real people who give you the change if you have to pay with notes.

I always use a credit card, saves fussing with notes and coins, especially if you are not familiar with the Euro. You dont need to understand the lingo, they take what is needed and hand you back a receipt.:burnout: your on your way again

I think they take most of the major ones.
12/05/2006 at 10:47
T-Bird wrote
I always use a credit card, saves fussing with notes and coins, especially if you are not familiar with the Euro. You dont need to understand the lingo, they take what is needed and hand you back a receipt.:burnout: your on your way again

I think they take most of the major ones.

Don't some credit cards charge a premium for foreign transactions?
12/05/2006 at 11:20
Count Steer wrote

They ALL do - and it's a minimum of something like £1.50 for each transaction. That also applies to cash taken from cashpoints abroad, and of course petrol paid for with a card.

It mounts up, on a long trip.

To Do Is To Be - Socrates
To Be Is To Do - Plato
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra
12/05/2006 at 11:58
Count Steer wrote

You may be right, my card charges a small percentage (I think under 2% ) but for the ease I find it worth the little extra. But good point.
12/05/2006 at 12:14
I thought it was a percentage but with a minimum as Rubythecat said. Don't mind doing that for getting wedges of cash but a £1.50 add on to a 4 euro toll is a bit much!!

I normally pop the ticket in the map/tank bag and keep a few 5 euro notes in there, then just chuck the change in there too. Then it's one glove off, stuff it under the headstock or sit on it, pay, ride forward, glove on and away. Normally though I just try and avoid the autoroutes - and busy Nationals.
12/05/2006 at 12:24
[QUOTE=Count Steer]I thought it was a percentage but with a minimum as Rubythecat said. Don't mind doing that for getting wedges of cash but a £1.50 add on to a 4 euro toll is a bit much!!

I would of thought I would have noticed excessive charges like that, I best pay more attention next time.

On second thoughts I probably used my Visa debit card. That might be different.
12/05/2006 at 12:29
T-Bird wrote
[QUOTE=Count Steer]I thought it was a percentage but with a minimum as Rubythecat said. Don't mind doing that for getting wedges of cash but a £1.50 add on to a 4 euro toll is a bit much!!

I would of thought I would have noticed excessive charges like that, I best pay more attention next time.

On second thoughts I probably used my Visa debit card. That might be different.[/QUOTE]

TBH I've only ever noticed charges for getting cash (and the thievery they do with interest rates on other bills) but the missus has been using her Cahoot card in The Netherlands recently and there were several charges of about £1.70 indicated as 'Service Charge' on the account and I know that she got all her euros before she went each time. These were for stuff like train tickets and hotel bills.
12/05/2006 at 12:56
I am going to check my old statements tonight. I thought I was on to a good thing but if I'm getting robbed I will suffer the few extra minutes and use cash.
12/05/2006 at 19:13
T-Bird wrote
I am going to check my old statements tonight. I thought I was on to a good thing but if I'm getting robbed I will suffer the few extra minutes and use cash.

Just checked. I had no charges at all, just a straight conversion at the going rate.

That was with an Abbey credit card (not debit). I suppose the rate could have been loaded and other cards may be different. It is worth checking before you leave.
12/05/2006 at 19:48
Abbey National does not charge you for using your credit/debit card in Europe. Nice of them too, all the others charge! It is cheaper for a long ride to use the cash option for the tolls, and even cheaper to avoid the tolls... Nice roads away from the main motorways, scenic, and in good condition as well. You will get to see the real France this way.

Seriously though, they do fine you if you ride too fast on the motorway, you need to stop for a coffee/break etc before heading to the peage.
12/05/2006 at 20:09
Just out of interest - has anyone ever been nicked for arriving at a toll exit 'unfeasibly early'? I thought someone on another thread said this was a myth.

Good result on the Abbey card.
1 to 20 of 31 messages