Backchat rider-to-pillion intercom

14 messages
04/03/2007 at 21:31
It's the intercom with tubes instead of wires. Has anyone tried it? Any good?

Report here:

www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/backchat-vixen.htm

It's a motorcycle, Jim, but not as we know it
TIT#212AA
08/03/2007 at 13:09
A COMPLETE waste of time and money.

They offered me a full money back garuntee, i returned the item and after 5 or 6 phone calls never received the money!

I have tried pretty much all of the intercom systems and NOTHING beats Autocom.

If you are just doing rider pilion you can pick s\h ones up off ebay for >£50 and they are the business!!
08/03/2007 at 13:41
Don't know about 'beats' Autocom, but my Starcom is bloomin' good

Check both before buying. Prices, and audio on their web sites. If you search I posted links recently.

Training info is (C) Malcolm Palmer. He asserts his right to be identified as author under the Copyright Design Patents Act 1988 & may be quoted only as part of a post in the Visordown bb by another board member. Author should be contacted for written permission before any other use, storage, transmission or recording, by any means.

Read my mutterings:

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/

08/03/2007 at 14:06
I have not tried Starcom but have heard good things!
08/03/2007 at 22:32
I just want a cheap and cheerful way of keeping the missus (or my son) happy on the back. I thought Autocom/Starcom cost hundreds. But eBay's a thought....

What was wrong with the Backchat, then? (Although if they won't refund the money, that is a consideration...)

TIT#212AA
08/03/2007 at 22:53
Scootabout wrote
I just want a cheap and cheerful way of keeping the missus (or my son) happy on the back. I thought Autocom/Starcom cost hundreds. But eBay's a thought....

What was wrong with the Backchat, then? (Although if they won't refund the money, that is a consideration...)

Certainly doesn't cost hundreds. The last time I bought a full Autocom system for rider/pillion intercom duties it cost a smidge over £110. Last year the kits were being sold at half price too.
09/03/2007 at 00:24
Autocom may need ear plugs with speakers, certainly did for me to use one. Saying that the newer ones have volume control, mine had to be returned to the dealer for the noise level to be increased

Murphy's 6th Law 'if every thing appears to be going fine, you missed something'

One day my fingers will type the letters teh in the correct order..... one day.....

Want a holiday in France?

TiT #38D
09/03/2007 at 10:05
Scootabout wrote

I bought one when theyt forst came out and I just thought it was hopeless. I spend a lot of time up as the NSL and some and you could not here a thing!
09/03/2007 at 15:02
I WILL need to get an intercom system when we go away this year i want something that will fit on the bike instead of carrying a "black box" round it will also need to be capable of bike to bike is there such a system?
10/03/2007 at 23:43
Autocom, Starcom. Both very similar, and both can do bike to bike with a radio added.
11/03/2007 at 08:54
I've just bought a system from Lidl for £6.00 It's a rider-to-pillion radio, with possibility of plugging in MP3 player or radio. It seems to work off the bike. Haven't tried it on it yet....

Even if it's rubbish, I won't have lost much at that price.

TIT#212AA
12/03/2007 at 15:04
Onthebackwheel2 wrote
I WILL need to get an intercom system when we go away this year i want something that will fit on the bike instead of carrying a "black box" round it will also need to be capable of bike to bike is there such a system?

The Starcom (and prob. Autocom - I haven't looked) site has numerous diagrams of the various combos you can fit.

My Starcom lives in a fairing pocket (previous bike it was under the seat) and is wired to the bike's power but only switches 'on' when a headset is connected - so no worries about forgetting to turn it off

It'll run IIRC two headsets, bike-to-bike radio, and music input. The VOX (voice operation) is superb - I never bothered rigging a PTT (push to talk) switch, and compensates for wind noise from stopped up to Humpty-blur mph

As I said, look at the web sites.

Training info is (C) Malcolm Palmer. He asserts his right to be identified as author under the Copyright Design Patents Act 1988 & may be quoted only as part of a post in the Visordown bb by another board member. Author should be contacted for written permission before any other use, storage, transmission or recording, by any means.

Read my mutterings:

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/

28/01/2012 at 08:44
Reply to r6demon .08/03/07

Sir, you are a liar if you say you have contacted BackChat six times without reply. An email to our address will always have a response (backchatintercom@gmail.com)and we always honour our money-back guarantee provided the unit was purchased from us.

BackChat Intercoms.
07/05/2012 at 21:29

I came to this site by accident as I was looking to see if I can add a phone attachment to my current Backchat system & feel there is a bit of an imbalance here, I have no connection to any dealers/suppliers but I can honestly say I think the Backchat system is fantastic, I am on my second system now as I lost the first one through my own stupidity (long story involving careless packing whilst moving house.....one black bag looks very much like another!)

The system is basic which makes it simple enough, my wife and I have used the system on many weekend trips and two pan European tours, I can vouch for the ability to hold normal conversation up to & including silly speeds.

The best bit about it being simple is that there are no batteries, wires etc. it simply consists of rubber tubes from mouth to ear (although I'm sure the designer would point out it's more complex than that)

It goes without saying this is only a rider to pillion system and rubber tubes between two bikes wouldn't be practical.

Your say
email image
14 messages