Talkback: Honda NC700X DCT (2012 - )

Adventure bike?? 670cc and only 51hp, no beginner would buy this model. The Integra or S versions would be a better choice. The DCT option i...

11 messages
17/11/2011 at 17:12

Adventure bike?? 670cc and only 51hp, no beginner would buy this model. The Integra or S versions would be a better choice. The DCT option is my choice and the x model the preferred machine for me. In this displacement other manufacturers have 70+ hp. Why did Honda detune this model for the adventure rider??  I've noticed that the first reviews note a dull bike!! Will Honda up the hp for this bike or will I have to buy the $$$$ for the VFR1200x ? There is a marketing lesson here since the DN-01 fiasco...Thank you...

21/02/2012 at 19:12
From what I've read it isn't detuned at all, just tuned for torque rather than top end power.  If you're someone who likes to rev the nuts off your bike then it isn't for you.  If, however, like the majority of riders you use the torque more than top end power then it's ideal.  I did see it is actually faster to 70 mph than the CBR600F so it can't be that bad especially doing 78 mpg at the same time
16/03/2012 at 10:54

I have a cbr600f 2011 version and love this bike if I ride smoothly and around 75 to 80 mph I can get 55 to 58 mpg out of it and still have loads of fun if I want to ,it can do slow speed town work just as well.

However I am going to take a NC700S out for a test ride as soon as it becomes available the mpg sounds good plus the tank range is a plus as well. The x version is too high for me (just) and I ride about 20,000 miles per year and I cant see the price of fuel coming down ever. Will let you know what I think of the bike if anyone is interested.

My ideal bike would be an R1 shape, higher handlebars, bigger seat, 55 mpg, the nearest I have seen is the kawasaki z1000sx looks lush in the new emerald green. Got me thinking....mm

01/06/2012 at 08:05
It's taking a Looooooong time to get the the United States, but i have a down payment on a 700x DCT ABS when it finally does arrive. I'll be sure to stop by and spill a few syllables..
20/06/2012 at 22:18
I'm driving a black nc700x DCT ABS for a month now in the Netherlands. Higher Honda windscreen and windbreakers make a lot of difference for comfort, Leovince exhaustion for better sound and looks. It's very different from all bikes I drove before, like a Transalp, a cb1300 or a T-Max. This is a new experience. Easy to handle, using your flippers when slowing down before curves, like a racing car. On the other hand it makes you think of a tractor, because of the great sound and tork. The DCT is really great. If you're in a hurry, the DCT adapts and you will experience the power of tork. I only use the D mode. I think  Honda did hit the jackpot with this one. If you're looking for a racing machine, this is not for you, but if you're looking for something else, try it and have fun !
20/07/2012 at 20:08
It is July 20th and I should be getting a call from North Hollywood Honda any day now. Gotta tell ya though, the US is different from other parts of the world. Here the dealers don't really want to order a DCT because they think it won't sell. North Hollywood Honda has had a VFR1200f automatic sitting in their showroom for a few years now. I'm a new rider and graduating up from a scooter, I thought this would be the one to upgrade to. I am anxious to use the push button shifting to get a feel of better control. But I'm hoping to get a good deal as well. We'll see...
20/07/2012 at 20:17
As far ah hp, I am very intrigued by the Power Commanders that a friend told me about. It is an add-on and will boost the hp and lend quicker throttle response. Also it will not void the warranty as it can be easily removed.
23/07/2012 at 13:35

Power Commanders adapt the fuelling, in many cases helping create even power and overcoming flat-spots often caused IIRC by emission testing requirements.  however I'd be surprised if you'll see any great benefit onthe NC where it's already been "tuned" for torque/mpg balance.  They're not cheap and need a purpose-built "map" for your bike created by a dyno expert, so I'd save your money.

24/01/2013 at 21:04

I have had a problem with my honda NC700X DCT in that it every so often would jump into another gear and simply cease to respond to the twist grip.  This is rather dangerous if you are half way to completing an overtake for example.  It seems, after extensive dealer testing to have been due to accidental flipping the Manual/Automatic switch on the right hand handlebar when reaching for the front brake lever.  Since I have stuck a large lump of bluetack in this switch so I cannot brush it accidentally, there have been no problems.

Otherwise this bike is great!

Frank Lukey

30/01/2013 at 15:44

I have never been on a honda (am not much of a fan) but its reviews are very good. But how different is it from the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R?

02/02/2013 at 17:21

Er, you cant compare a 160mph screaming ZX6R rocket to an NC700 . They are completely different except the 2 wheels bit

Your say
email image
11 messages