Talkback: BMW R1200RT

8 messages
19/08/2010 at 01:13
Any one with the new 2010 yet ? Your thoughts on it..
19/08/2010 at 01:18

I am really thinking about selling by GL 1800 (wing) due to it's weight and the fact it is so blazing hot! I have not read about other wings being to hot to ride by mine-once it gets over 80-85 degrees is Not fun, Just hot! That, and its a hand full in the twistys make me want a lighter rig.  This is my third wing and my last, the other two-both GL 1200's handeled much better and were not anywhere near as hot to ride.

I'm going on a tour next month to Southern Utah with buddies and am thinking about another bike 1st!

Any feedback on the 2010 model? I've been on a few test rides: 35 min., and an hour on a hot day and thought the RT was a much cooler ride...Plus a lot more fun in the curves

Let me know what you think..

19/08/2010 at 09:01
I rode on a bikesafe day with the met. The copper on the plod bike kept up all day long with me. He loved it.
07/09/2010 at 20:45
Recently swapped my FJR1300 for the new 2010 R1200RT. Best thing I have done. I loved the FJR until I had 2 test rides on the RT. What a difference, the biggest being the weight. The RT is noticibly lighter even with the massive topbox. The BMW with all the extras fitted is still around £1000 cheaper than the FJR. I would recommend a test ride but beware you may also be hooked
21/09/2010 at 19:14
Well I did it-Sold the wing and bought the 2010 BMW RT 1200.  I just got back from a 3K mile ride across 5 western (US) states and the Rt was great! Loved the way it handeled and the MPG was great too! A low of 47 MPG going across ID. at a steady 85-90MPH, to a number of runs of 57 mpg-none at low speed!  I had one hard starting morning (40 degres and high elevation) which I will have checked at the 6K service.  Going across Neveda I was glad I was on this bike rather than the wing
01/11/2010 at 21:42
Picked up my 2010 a few months back.  Love it!  Had an LT and Adventure previously, and quite a few Harleys.  This is by far the best bike I have owned when you consider all aspects of riding that I like...decent weight, excellent handling, good protection, plenty of "oomph" and reliability with all the good stuff you need/want for touring..got the comfort seat which made a big difference and pulled the bars back a bit.  Just put Pilot Roads on front/rear and handles like a dream..blew off a Harley Screaming Eagle Dyna the other day and eased back at 120+mph....fun, yes.
27/06/2012 at 15:58

I had a 2 hour test ride on one the other day. In short - brilliant.

It started out in the wet, but me being lazy I didn't want to put my waterproofs on, so just rode in leathers.  This fairing is amazing - how it kept the rain off I don't know, but it just seems to work. The mirriors even seemed to keep my hands dry, which I really don't get as they're below by a good few inches!!

I rode town, A and B roads and a little bit on the motorway too.  In a strong, gusting crosswind it was stable and predictable.  It pulled well in high gears, and was easily the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

As soon as car is sold, I'll be putting a deposit down and getting one.  Surely the highest praise I can offer!

28/08/2012 at 21:07

Off to Spain on Friday on mine. Channel Tunnel here we come!

Your say
email image
8 messages