Capri

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Capri

Went past it in the van at 20mph its the good photo considering.
It pulled away when i got level and it sounded awesome!!!:burnout:

[/IMG]

The car of champions. Anyone know if that's a kosher RS or just the spoiler? I'm not too good at mk1s...

Could pick up a minter for £100 at auction 7 yrs ago, doubt you could now though. Expect xr2i's will be the next to gain cult status

JC-46]Went past it in the van at 20mph its the good photo considering.It pulled away when i got level and it sounded awesome!!!:burnout:

Nice use of the phone while behind the wheel... less than a day after this as well:news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/5252872.stm

Gowjus!

nice do love a mk1 not an rs 2.6 though just the rear duck tail. Note the lack of headrests. Does look good on the 15" superlites though.

Fliptophead wrote

Expect xr2i's will be the next to gain cult status

Cant imagine them ever being cult cars.

nice i never thought capris would be cool but that one is

RS3100 or 3 litre GXL ?

OI OAF..Have you ever seen that advert with that poor child that got killed by a driver doing 40mph in a 30?Have you ever done a 40 in a 30?Well piss off then

A rare car..That is a 3.1gxl with a genuine rear spoiler. A mk1-mk2 change over. The exhausts have been given a helping hand with and they are not the original wheels either. I had 2 and a quater inch pipes on my mk 3 3.0l and it sounded the Nuts!..

^^^(old man mode) Yeah I won't be making that mistake again you little fucker! next I see one of you kids I'm gonna speed up! just to make sure. (old man mode x)

Glad i brought a few smiles

Dad used to have a 2.9 with huge wheels on it when he was a boy racer.Come to think of it he still is one.Great cars though.

the oaf wrote

Nice use of the phone while behind the wheel... less than a day after this as well:news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/5252872.stm

A tad out of character for me maybe, but...Fuck off.

Deffo a 3.1 of some description The enquiry is complete The vehicle details for UUA 505M are: Date of Liability 01 09 2006 Date of First Registration 05 04 1974 Year of Manufacture 1974 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 3100CC CO2 Emissions Not Available Fuel Type Petrol Export Marker Not Applicable Vehicle Status Licence Not Due Vehicle Colour YELLOW Vehicle Type Approval The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry. Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £96.25 12 Months Rate £175.00

I loved my Capri's.........my first proper car after a part share in a mini between me and 3 mates Had a 1.6GL Capri as a start , then a 2.0S and finally a 2.8i all within space of 2 years when i was 18-20.And now i want another one as i used to love the driving position with your feet in front of you and the fact it would fishtail so easily on the throttle Have seen a Capri Laser on e bay that i might have a pop at, 2'8i's are going for silly money at the moment

It's a proper RS3100. I recognise it from the shows on the RS Owners stand. I've some more pictures of it from last years Ford Fair at home.Yup capri's are starting to hold a decent price now. I sold mine in March. I put it up for a silly price and someone offered me very close to it.

JC-46 wrote

OI OAF..Have you ever seen that advert with that poor child that got killed by a driver doing 40mph in a 30?Have you ever done a 40 in a 30?Well piss off then

Hardly the same. It's about concentration. Someone speeding can still be 100% focused on their riding/driving and be aware of their surroundings and possible hazards. Even if you are travelling at below the speed limit, that picture shows that you're more focused on fiddling with your phone and the shiny vehicle to your right than what's going on ahead of you. What do you think is going to be the more likely cause of an accident?

{Qrz}Buddha wrote

A tad out of character for me maybe, but...Fuck off.

Very out of character... you're normally posting bollocks.

I feel this urge to rub myself on it...

would be better in Black, maybe matt black

My Uncle has a white RS3100 and it's a great car. Retro cool at its best. If ever he sells it I'm first in the queue. Was the car that Clarkson used on an episode of Top Gear a few years back. Matt

Yoshi wrote

Dad used to have a 2.9 with huge wheels on it when he was a boy racer.Come to think of it he still is one.Great cars though.

no he didnt considering they only ever had 2.8 or the 3(.1)s in that size capacity (ignoring the 2600). They used the cologne 2.8 which was then used for the 2.9 cosworths used in the scorpio but they never came with a 2.9 engine (as standard) and it wouldnt have been a common over bore either

the oaf wrote

Very out of character... you're normally posting bollocks.

Ive had a few 3.0l ghia's and S's. wont send ya to sleep with the details tho.. All were proper quick mind

deffo not a gxl seperate exhaust is a give away as GXL's had twin pipes on the rhs no lhs cut outwrong colour bumberthey didnt have the matte balck paint on rear panel They nearly always had vinyl roofs they had GXL badges on the rear pillarsthey had wing not door mirrors I had a GXL though i made it look like a RS3100 and had a lot of rs engine parts

Oh well, here's mine for the capri fans...Had it when I was seventeen and very foolish. Love the design of the car, tho have always been embarrassed about its kudos (or lack thereof).It's been stored for years. May get around to resto'n it (one day).It looked gorgeous in 1992!!:burnout:[ATTACH]73885[/ATTACH]

Since we're willy waving on Capri's...hello

Green Machine wrote

Oh well, here's mine for the capri fans...Had it when I was seventeen and very foolish. Love the design of the car, tho have always been embarrassed about its kudos (or lack thereof).It's been stored for years. May get around to resto'n it (one day).It looked gorgeous in 1992!!:burnout:[ATTACH]73885[/ATTACH]

is that an "E" ??

Nah, a de-badged 1600XL. When I say de-badged, it's more that some cretin has buggered off with the rear badges!!To be fair the cretin may have been me, putting em away for "safe-keeping". Doh!

Fliptophead wrote

Expect xr2i's will be the next to gain cult status

What is the world coming to

Green Machine wrote

Nah, a de-badged 1600XL. When I say de-badged, it's more that some cretin has buggered off with the rear badges!!To be fair the cretin may have been me, putting em away for "safe-keeping". Doh!

two pipes though

Yeah. exhaust pipe trim. Hey, I'm not proud! As I said I was just young(er) and foolish!

I liked the fiesta 1.3 super sport the forerunner to the xr2 and had 2 capris a mk1 facelift2.0gt with v4 transit block and a 2 litre ghia straight 4

Well, I don't usually admit to this, but at one point between my bro & I, we had four of the darn things!!1x '72 Prefacelift in Blue (subsequently sorted and put on the road)1x '73 XL Facelift (above)1x 73/4 GT Facelift in Green (broken & scrapped)1x 74/5 Mk2 L (broken & scrapped)

hmm, always did wonder which of the capris were the best drivers cars. 2.8 or >3 litre? What's with the tickford tie up too?We had a yoof geography teacher at school who had a black 2.0s. His wife was a bit of an artist, so she did an enormous entire bonnet covering trans-am eagle in gold over it. Sod knows about the car, but was a colour scheme all of it's own time!Or how about an Opel Manta? Isn't that a german capri equiv?

editor wrote

hmm, always did wonder which of the capris were the best drivers cars. 2.8 or >3 litre? What's with the tickford tie up too?We had a yoof geography teacher at school who had a black 2.0s. His wife was a bit of an artist, so she did an enormous entire bonnet covering trans-am eagle in gold over it. Sod knows about the car, but was a colour scheme all of it's own time!Or how about an Opel Manta? Isn't that a german capri equiv?

2.8 was very refined compared to the 3litre. The 2.8 was quicker though but imo the 3 litre felt quicker. Skinny 185 tyres, soggy suspension and naff brakes on the 3L didnt make for a great drivers car thoughMy 3.0l was pretty modified it had 205tyres all round, uprated suspension and pretty hot engine pushing 180-190hp, it was far more entertaining than the 2.8i i later owned which simply had a k&n and full janspeed system along with a few injection mods also imo the early 2.8's are the best, the later 5speeds are heavier

yeah have to say, the 2.8i is very smooth (bosch to thank for that) but lacked real urgency compared to the feel of a 3.0s with side drafts

maddog wrote

2.8 was very refined compared to the 3litre. The 2.8 was quicker though but imo the 3 litre felt quicker. Skinny 185 tyres, soggy suspension and naff brakes on the 3L didnt make for a great drivers car thoughMy 3.0l was pretty modified it had 205tyres all round, uprated suspension and pretty hot engine pushing 180-190hp, it was far more entertaining than the 2.8i i later owned which simply had a k&n and full janspeed system along with a few injection mods also imo the early 2.8's are the best, the later 5speeds are heavier

Ah it was a blue one. Everyone knows the red ones were faster

Heres some piccies of a pretty original RS3100 taken on the RS stand at a recent rally day at Castle Coombe

this may appeal to some of you lot then......this is one of my neighbours, he deals a bit in cars as he's a bodyshop...The car is immaculate, excuse the crap photography, they're snaps on my phone in low light and have been compressed.....The interior is very clean indeed and the mileage is soo low....I know nothing about Capris other than couple of months spent in a Brooklands 280 so don't know if this is any good...??It's for sale but has been up for a while now and he may take offers...I can take some better pics if anyones genuinely interested....?Reggie

not for a poxy 1.6GL under any circs. Looks like a nice body though-why on earth go to time & trouble on such a basic model?

I was thinking the exact same, a friggin 1.6GL? Still the body looks very tidy and for that alone it could be worth a punt but only with a mind to stripping out the insides (assuming it is still GL) and updating it. Hope it still has original radio, I fashioned up a switch over circuit to a boot mount amp and CD changer - in effect it kept the original radio for the radio.... those things are like rocking horse poo, specially with an uncut dash.He's havin a laugh with that price for a GL even with low miles. You can pick up relatively low miles 2.0 and 2.8i's for little more and in very good nick

also correct me if I am wrong but it isnt even kept in GL trim. If it was kept in the original fashioning then its sometimes worth more than a moded base model if that makes sense. I am 99% certain the RS alloys never saw light on the GL and only came on the later Lasers and S?

Well I guess I can't stay out of this for long, I too used to be a Capri owner and I have to say my mates still look at me funny when I tell them that it was one of the best (most fun and entertaining) cars i've ever owned!Mine was a 1971 MK1 3000E which I had when I was 19. The colour was Light Orchid, a sort of pale lilac/violet metallic, which was quite unusual and not as gay as it sounds, black vinyl roof with a full webasto sunroof and black interior. I had it fitted with a full Janspeed exhaust and some 7 X 15 Chrome minilte rims, sadly it was the rims that got it noticed and subsequently nicked! I got it back the next day minus the rims, stereo and a smashed windscreen for good measure, I originally had big plans to upgrade the brakes and suspension and have the motor removed to have a 3.1 rebuild but before I had the chance the poxy insurance company wrote it off. Sadly at the time I was too young and naive to argue so they gave me a cheque and took it away, did OK cash wise as they paid out more than it owed me but i have to say i'd love to have still owned it now. My brother also owned a 78 2.0S which he managed to flatten a lampost with!

hey...don't shoot the messenger... said I new nout about crapis....from what I saw, the interior is totally original, stereo and all, seats look like they've never been sat in....and that's how he got it, it's not been restored AFAIK...later.... :burnout:

Hi This is definitely a genuine RS 3100 (unless it's been rebodied) I should know as I owned this car from 1983 to 1986 and was a member of the RS and AVO owners club. Tony Dron drove this exact vehicle for a magazine article back in the late 70s. The car had a full set of genuine RS alloys when I owned it. The engine block is not original as the bloke who I sold it to blew the engine up trying to max it on the A1!!! Great to see that the car still exists. A very under rated RS.

Hello junto, I know this post is a while ago now but I still own this rs Capri. I brought it in 2000 and spent 3 years restoring it.Can you give me any more information about the car.   Regards Craig.   Email address craig.willow@talktalk.net.    Cheers.

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month