Yamaha to build Honda DN-01 beater!

1 to 20 of 21 messages
18/06/2009 at 14:22

Super Pooper     Whos going to ride this crap ?   where are the air bags ?    can I plug my cell phone and I pod in someplace ?

Just take the Damn Car !   and leave my motorcycle alone

18/06/2009 at 20:36
Mr.D wrote (see)

Super Pooper     Whos going to ride this crap ?   where are the air bags ?    can I plug my cell phone and I pod in someplace ?

Not a particularly attractive beast is it?  But it may give Yamaha a share of the market they are losing to Honda by not having a DN-01 type on sale.  

I see it as the 'next' TMAX too.

http://www2.solomoto.es/fotos/69/yamaha_patente_abajonueva.jpg

Not sure from that image that it is a 'drawing' either - looks like a 'real' bike photo shopped as an outline....

Mr.D wrote (see)

Just take the Damn Car !   and leave my motorcycle alone

The people that might buy that are not going to ever buy 'your' bike - nor (I suspect) will Yamaha desert your profitable market segment.

zub
20/06/2009 at 02:08
i like it and personally i would love to own a DN-01.

07/07/2009 at 13:32
I love the idea of the Yam taking on the Honda DN-01. I have several bikes old and new including the DN-01, which is just loads of fun to ride. It has a few minor niggles like limited (almost zero) storage and low wind protection. But overall it's wicked! It rides a bit like a cruiser and has abilities of a sports bike and the ease of a scooter.  It has exceptional build quality and everything is as smooth as silk, just what you’d expect from Honda. You can play with pretend gears (1 to 6) in manual mode with the Tip-tronic type button on the left handgrip or you can go fully auto in drive or sport mode.I love my other bikes (sports, super sports and cruisers) and am never one to poo poo someone’s ride or taste in  machine. To me two wheel riding is two wheel riding, the only difference is attitude and respect. If super scooter crosses are not for you, then ok stick with what you like. But just remember the old adage "Don't knock it until you've tried it". If you have never rode one of these machines how do you know what there like????Happy Riding all, and remember shiny side up is best!
09/07/2009 at 18:09
Would not mind having ago on a DN-01, But could never use day to day due to a large amount of filtering, but looks a bit cool.
aw
04/08/2009 at 12:03

tHE dn-01, LOOKS CRAP! Weighs a ton, most of the power is lost in the transmission. Lets not confuse this with a motorbike. I admire Honda's technology but disapointed to see it going the (in my opinion) wrong, but then again. there might be a demand for these things, a mate of mine has one and I just can't see how he justified spending all that money on that while there are so many excelent bikes for half of the money!

Yamaha would have had a large capacity automatic scooter/bike on the pipeline regardsless of the DN-01, Keep in mind they were on of the first one in thecatogary with the T-Max.

One thing for sure the, Yamaha version will be better looking than the DN-01 

04/08/2009 at 12:39

Has to be said - if you're going to drag car users out of cars and onto 2 wheels there's a certain set of criteria you have to meet:

Cleanliness - people don't want to be bothered with the mechanics or getting dirty

Ease of use - people don't want to have to learn new skills

Comfort - people want to be warm, dry, and have access to tunes etc, just like in their car.  They'll accept the requirement for the helmet (it's an obvious safety measure) but they'll ignore the requirement for leathers/textiles with armour.

As such - the DN-01 "could" be a successful marketing idea for Honda, because outright performance is NOT a major requirement - but ease of use is.  NOtice that on the DN-01 you can't see ANYTHING other than bodywork - just like a car - all the workings are hidden away, out of sight, out of mind.

The one downfall of the DN-01, and most scooters (the other acceptable car alternative), imo is the weather -  drivers don't like getting wet.  If you could buy an enclosed version of the DN, MP3 etc etc for a reasonable amount I reckon they'd sell like hot cakes.

Great Prophet of Veedism.
non quod sed quomodo
"BBQ fluid is a sweaty one night stand compared to the long term relationship of a properly burning wood fire."
Cool in a fuddy-duddy old fart kinda way - Wingnut
04/08/2009 at 13:00

RiceBurner wrote (see)

The one downfall of the DN-01, and most scooters (the other acceptable car alternative), imo is the weather -  drivers don't like getting wet.  If you could buy an enclosed version of the DN, MP3 etc etc for a reasonable amount I reckon they'd sell like hot cakes.

Trouble is enclosures such as roofs and doors add their own problems to PTW's.

You'll need a heater.  And a windscreen wiper.  And a screen that doesn't scratch wen it's wiped.  And accept limited visibility round the screen pillars.  That all adds weight.  High up.  That makes the bike less maneuverable.

I'm sorry if you don't believe that vehicles like my Voyager can have an effective heater and weather protection, safe storage, and car operating costs or a requirement to wear much more than effective outdoor clothing.
So it goes. 
04/08/2009 at 20:31
Stealing market share from Honda? Why would Yamaha waste millions developing a bike, just to steal three of the six people that have bought a DN? I've tried one, they are a bit poo.
05/08/2009 at 07:59
elbows in wrote (see)
Stealing market share from Honda? Why would Yamaha waste millions developing a bike, just to steal three of the six people that have bought a DN?

I think that just shows how little you actually know about the way the Japanese motorcycle industry operates and how blinkered your view is.

05/08/2009 at 08:26

How to 'improve' the DN-01.

Add a Utopia seatback and some Givi luggage.

http://www.utpr.com/dn01crossoverbike.jpg

http://dn01.org/data/attach/78/278/cases.JPG

Smart. 

But still rather pricey.

06/08/2009 at 15:04
FJSRiDER. wrote (see)
elbows in wrote (see)
Stealing market share from Honda? Why would Yamaha waste millions developing a bike, just to steal three of the six people that have bought a DN?

I think that just shows how little you actually know about the way the Japanese motorcycle industry operates and how blinkered your view is.

Yep, cheers for that.
06/08/2009 at 17:00
elbows in wrote (see)
Yep, cheers for that.

As far as I can get Google to translate - this suggests that they sold 326 in Italy in June.  This is far more than the numbers of 'other' automatic motorcycle - the Aprilia Mana - which doesn't even make the top 100 bikes sold!

(Although to put this in context the Italians bought 1,787 TMAX in the same month!)

30/12/2009 at 13:04

why is everyone calling the dn-01 a scooter?  its got a cruiser frame (probably similar to the shadow), a proven, motorcycle engine and a new gen' gearbox. its an auto cruiser!!  i've bought one and coming off a triumph sprint, i can say the dino is fantastic. (no more sore wrists for this 49 year old).  a few extra ponies would be welcome but i guess the tranny probably couldn't handle a bigger engines torque.  nevertheless, all this crap i'm reading from sports bike riders amuses me 'cause you younger idiots most likely cant change your own oil let alone comment on what bike riding should be about. vive la difference.

30/12/2009 at 18:47
The manufacturers should make a feet forward bike , similar to what fjsrider has , if it was made well and the price was fair it would sell

WHO CARES WINS

30/12/2009 at 21:22
Walls did a model like fjs's bike complete with ice cream dispenser and a fridge for your for your lollies
23/01/2011 at 20:55
I have owned a DN01 for 9 months and ridden 10K- England, France,Spain, Italy. This is one fantastic machine - a joy to ride even 2 up and full Givi luggage.I've had Blackbirds, CBF 1000 countless other machines and apart from my rc30 this is without doubt the most pleasurable machine to ride. If you haven't ridden one reserve judgement until you do. The styling might not suite everyone but then what does? All this debate about whether or not it's a scooter is nonsense - it is a motorcycle! As F1 cars do not have gear levers anymore it is probably a fair bet motorcycles will go the same way so I guess we will all be riding 'scooters' in the not to distant future.Incidentally I am making rider backrests for this machine.
25/05/2011 at 13:04

hey, i just think to midified my Tiger revo into it. the front head change into this dn 01 front fairing

it's sure looks good

http://tokofree.sodagembira.com/images/product/mm1558_e34975c9d199b2c324ea1ec7b.jpg

12/05/2012 at 20:43
Have you got details of the back rest you are making for dn 01 . Ive just bought dn 01 and would like to purchess back rest. s.dugdale@ntlworld.com
13/05/2012 at 10:40

I think people will be ok with a lid and jacket if abandoniing the car - the jacket will keep them dry on the walk into the office too.

What is really needed is someway of storing lid and jacket and maybe overtrousers on the bike. Top boxes work, but people fill "boots" with junk and work stuff if commuting, so you need another option.

The biggest hurdle to bikes replacing cars though, IMO, is security. PArk a car and walk away. People don't want to be fiddling with dirty wet chains when they are already running a few moments late.

Remember, the sooner you fall behind the more time you have to catch-up
1 to 20 of 21 messages