1 to 20 of 35 messages
24/06/2009 at 22:03
That is pig ugly
25/06/2009 at 00:04

Is it shaft-drive?

25/06/2009 at 07:02
FJSRiDER. wrote (see)

Is it shaft-drive?

Does it matter...the styling department at Honda have already given it the shaft.

25/06/2009 at 08:50
the stick wrote (see)

Does it matter...the styling department at Honda have already given it the shaft.

Ho-ho.  It's hard to tell what it looks like really - being all blacked up and all. 

I think it looks more interesting than the current munter.  At least they seem to have dumped the grim underseat pipes.

25/06/2009 at 09:03
The headlight is just plain ugly. You can not really see the exhaust but it kind of looks like the one on the current fireblade -> that is the worst part of the fireblade imho...

well, I have been waiting for this bike, but if it is going to look like this I will just keep my 06 cbr... or get one vfr 800 on sale

http://www.picamatic.com/show/2009/06/25/12/08/4119958_179x134.jpg

You can meet the nicest people on a Honda...

25/06/2009 at 09:16
Makers seem to insist on making things
Bigger(engine),uglier?,heavier and more complex with every passing
Year.this is progress?
Why dontthey just refine things that work.
25/06/2009 at 09:20
Andras Bartl wrote (see)
The headlight is just plain ugly.

I think it a test mule - and is a bit unfinished.  I'll reserve judgement 'till I've seen an example in metal.  But I they should think about bringing back a version of the twin lamp, single lens of the late 750/early 800's.  Fantastic light, and a 'fail safe' system if one bulb blows.

Andras Bartl wrote (see)
You can not really see the exhaust but it kind of looks like the one on the current fireblade -> that is the worst part of the fireblade imho..

A (large) 'stubbie' on the offside.  VFR's traditionally have single sided swing arms and this has the same - but the lack of drive chain is interesting.  Looks like a fully floating rear end.  Compact bevel box though. 

I like it - although suspect More Crap than News hinting at 'what must be approaching 200bhp potential' is a bit barmy.
25/06/2009 at 09:27
twoeyedbob wrote (see)
Makers seem to insist on making things Bigger(engine),uglier?,heavier and more complex with every passing Year.this is progress?

I imagine it is the Blackbird's (long awaited) 'replacement' as well as the 'next' VFR.

twoeyedbob wrote (see)
Why dontthey just refine things that work.

I think that is exactly what they do.  The CBR XX is 13 years old.  The GL1500 lasted 13 years, the 1800 has been on sale for 8.  The current VFR800 has been selling for 7 years.  The engine in the Deauville has been 'refined' but can trace it's history back to FT500 of 1982!  

How long would you like them to continue unchanged?

25/06/2009 at 09:36
FJSRiDER. wrote (see)
I think it a test mule - and is a bit unfinished.  I'll reserve judgement 'till I've seen an example in metal.
I hope you are right, and there is still hope... after all we will see the final version in autumn.

http://www.picamatic.com/show/2009/06/25/12/08/4119958_179x134.jpg

You can meet the nicest people on a Honda...

25/06/2009 at 11:06
It does look a bit....unfinished IMO.  It's shaft driven and that exhaust is god awful.  Gees I wasn't overly impressed with the last overhaul on the VFR800 think I'd rather have an older 750 if I was going to choose one at all. 
25/06/2009 at 11:21
FJSRiDER. wrote (see)
the stick wrote (see)

Ho-ho.  It's hard to tell what it looks like really - being all blacked up and all. 

I think it looks more interesting than the current munter.  At least they seem to have dumped the grim underseat pipes.

I always though underseat pipes on a bike with such a practical emphasis was a bit daft.
25/06/2009 at 14:24
Surely going from 750/800 to 1200 isn't refinement.
the blackbird ain't an allrounder same as the vfr ain't a continent crusher.
One of the many good things abought the vfr is that it's a middleweight(nearly) that'll keep up with the big boys (mostly).
Can't see me popping down the shops(2 minutes) on a 1200.
25/06/2009 at 14:33
twoeyedbob wrote (see)
Surely going from 750/800 to 1200 isn't refinement.
the blackbird ain't an allrounder same as the vfr ain't a continent crusher.
One of the many good things abought the vfr is that it's a middleweight(nearly) that'll keep up with the big boys (mostly).
Can't see me popping down the shops(2 minutes) on a 1200.

The market has changed hasn't it?  The 1400 Kawasaki, the BMW 1300 and the Suzuki Fatarsebus are the new 'sports tourers' of choice - making the Blackbird and Viffer look a bit long in the tooth.

Makes sense for Honda to move the VFR up and drop the Blackbird and make a new big V-four to take the aforementioned on.  A loyal fan base and well respected bikes looking for a replacement.

25/06/2009 at 14:42

But the VFR has always been more popular than the Blackbird, ZZR1400 and Hayabusa...so surely it would make more sense to at least keep the VFR running as an 800 as well?

I think the Blackbird is just too fast, expensive and heavy on fuel, chain and tyres to ever take over from the VFR...

The reason the VFR is so popular is because it's not too extreme...I'm sure a Honda hyperbike would be fairly moderate as far as hyperbikes go but 1200 still makes it a hyperbike...

25/06/2009 at 14:45
FJSRiDER. wrote (see)
Makes sense for Honda to move the VFR up and drop the Blackbird and make a new big V-four to take the aforementioned on.  A loyal fan base and well respected bikes looking for a replacement.

Not only does it make sense for Honda to drop the Blackbird and move the VFR up but also the strong styling clues from Honda's popular and successful FJS will go a long way in developing a strong following for the new bike.

http://www.zweirad-grisse.de/images-neumotorraeder2005/honda-fjs600asilber.jpg

25/06/2009 at 14:52
the stick wrote (see)

Not only does it make sense for Honda to drop the Blackbird and move the VFR up but also the strong styling clues from Honda's popular and successful FJS will go a long way in developing a strong following for the new bike.

New one of them rumored to be coming too. 

Seriously though, I can't see this bike being cheap there will be much more profit in a larger 'sports tourer' then another mid-sized V-four - and they still have the excellent Deauville and CBF models for those with less of a fat wallet.

25/06/2009 at 15:06

No, a VFR for 9 grand doesn't seem to make much sense these days.

If you can afford that I'm not sure why you wouldn't have a Blackbird.

Saying that Blackbirds are HUGE compared to normal sportsbikes...

If I had this kind of money for this kind of bike my money would easily be on the BMW K1300.

25/06/2009 at 15:07
I'm not saying therye ain't a Market for a 1200 v four
There is.
But therye are alot of people looking for a replacement for the 750
And IMHO ,this ain't it.
And for that matter neither was the vtec.

25/06/2009 at 15:08
according to the weekly rag,it has shaft drive and single side swing arm.
looks to be styled much along the lines of the fireblade,if it has a shorter wheelbase than the zzr/hyabusa and has the promised 200bhp i think it could tempt a lot of sports bike riders away from there 1000's, me included.
price..i think about 12k?
25/06/2009 at 15:09
Honda need a new bike at the top of the range. It wouldn't surprise me if the new VFR came in at £10k+.
1 to 20 of 35 messages