Why doesn't the RNLI get any funding ??

1 to 20 of 95 messages
29/10/2007 at 11:51
Just seen an advert for the RNLI asking for donations. They are all volunteers and receive no funding.

Doesn't that seem ludicrous ?

The government forks out billions for some outrageous crap but they wont give a penny to what is an emergency service !!

********************************DISCLAIMER*******************************************
I accept no responsibility for profuse swearing, skinned knuckles, spontaneous motorcycle combustion or your pregnant teenage daughter.

My South America travel blog: www.touringted.com
29/10/2007 at 11:53
The RNLI benefits us (the great unwashed) more than it does the Govt.

HTH.

If you're not part of the solution................ you're a solid or a gas.

«Severen - first class!»
Gotta love Sloganizer!
29/10/2007 at 11:53
Yep, but the RNLI boys prefer it that way as they get to run themselves as they see fit and not to some stupid 'targets'.

The chance of somebody watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

You can dress a pig up in a suit, but you can't stop him grunting!

VDSC#1
29/10/2007 at 11:57
Wreckless Rat wrote
Yep, but the RNLI boys prefer it that way as they get to run themselves as they see fit and not to some stupid 'targets'.

Fair enough but you'd expect them to get a few sheckles thrown their way or at least a "thank you" bonus or tax break etc.

Top fellas !!

********************************DISCLAIMER*******************************************
I accept no responsibility for profuse swearing, skinned knuckles, spontaneous motorcycle combustion or your pregnant teenage daughter.

My South America travel blog: www.touringted.com
29/10/2007 at 12:04
tedmagnum wrote
Fair enough but you'd expect them to get a few sheckles thrown their way or at least a "thank you" bonus or tax break etc.

As a charity, they do get tax breaks at least.

Some of the kit they have is really hard core. Self Righting boats with twin 700bhp engines. I met a skipper once who told me they went out in a Force 10 once for a chuckle

I get anjoyed when their time is sometimes spent on some rich kid who has run out of fuel and has the cheek to call up and call it mechanical failure

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/StreetBaker/VD_Sig_2008_2.jpg

29/10/2007 at 12:06
bakerstreet wrote
As a charity, they do get tax breaks at least.

Some of the kit they have is really hard core. Self Righting boats with twin 700bhp engines. I met a skipper once who told me they went out in a Force 10 once for a chuckle

I get anjoyed when their time is sometimes spent on some rich kid who has run out of fuel and has the cheek to call up and call it mechanical failure

Accepting a tow at sea can be very costly though...

The chance of somebody watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

VDSC#1
KD
29/10/2007 at 12:11
We are one of the few countries who dont centrally support our lifesavers of the sea

the coastguard is primarily a co ordination agency

the RNLI is a CHARITY!!!!

its a scandal that it continues,but as others have pointed out ,the present govt cannot be trusted with our essential emergency services so maybe its a good thing

There are no stupid questions...only stupid people
29/10/2007 at 12:13
K_D wrote
the RNLI is a CHARITY!!!!

its a scandal that it continues,but as others have pointed out ,the present govt cannot be trusted with our essential emergency services so maybe its a good thing

No it's not a scandal, they've turned down being a government organisation before now.

Being independant means that they dance to their own tune, they don't face budget cuts, having to prioritise for military rescues, or having an agenda forced on them. They want to remain independant.

BMW Rockster, CBR 600F & Aprilia Pegaso 650

SG # 266 T.W.A.T # 266 TSSC # 99
29/10/2007 at 12:17
It's quite a long time ago now, but I once did some work wit the RNLI. They (at least at that time) had a clear view that government funding would be a disbenefit. They'd lose control, and be subject to all sorts of petty pressures.

Can you imagine the current administration running the lifeboats? First thing would be the elfin safety loonies preventing them from going out in bad weather.
29/10/2007 at 12:17
Wreckless Rat wrote
Accepting a tug in the sea can be very costly though...

Care to share a holiday experience with us?

An aide memoir regarding Roadkill:-
If you can't eat it in one sitting don't run over it.
Vines BMW Nemesis Service under test

29/10/2007 at 12:20
My brother in law raises rather alot for them as a fisherman hes got a big stake in stopping government interferance as they'd fuck it right up.

www.applecrossboatpull.org.uk/fundraising.htm

I'm leaving on the five train
Don't ask me when I'm coming back again
I reckon it's only a matter of time
Before the law kick in the door
Mother I'm running out of change,
but I had to phone to let you know

They'll never take me alive....
29/10/2007 at 12:23
TheEnglishman wrote
Care to share a holiday experience with us?

Dad used to fish commercially out of Lowestoft, and made quite a few ££ from towing in posh people in boats that have died at sea or when the weather go too rough for them to get in.

Salvage claims can be very expense for the owner if they accept a tow at sea.

VDSC#1
29/10/2007 at 12:24
I support the RNLI - as an ex diver and some times sailor I consider it insurance

Mr. Tibbs hits the nail on the head when it comes to what happens if you help the environment.

Mr Tibbs wrote
You'll be a fucking hero and some sort of tree-hugging yoghurt-weaving organisation is bound to reward you with free sandals and worry-beads for the rest of your low-impact environmentally friendly life.

Every man should have a shed where he can potter, Visordown is my shed on the internet
29/10/2007 at 12:27
The govenment need to save their money so they can give it to the people who choose not to work, bless them.

Without Visordown we are as shakey as .... as a fiddler ... on the roof!
29/10/2007 at 12:27
Having worked with them, and as a diver, water idiot they will always get my money.

Some of the weather they go out in is mad, but they do it year in year out, working with the MCA and coastguard, have seen the off shore out in a gales force ten, I was almost sick watching it pitch and roll.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick!"

VDDC#01FM, ANC-13 I have slept under the African Sky,
ZEN SP-2 332
Approved Pastie dealer
29/10/2007 at 12:28
go_slow wrote
I support the RNLI - as an ex diver and some times sailor I consider it insurance

As a diver I also donate to the RNLI There have been a couple of moments where we have been in the Portland race and it was all going a bit tits up in our 5.7m Club Rib that I though donating to the RNLI would be a good idea

How come your an 'ex diver'?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/StreetBaker/VD_Sig_2008_2.jpg

29/10/2007 at 12:29
go_slow wrote

I used to sail out of Littlehampton lots as a youngster, and it was always awesome to see the Lifeboat go out (specially when we were racing dinghies in the river!!!).

Amazing people and one of the few charities I support regularly - glad they don't have any interferance, but its a shame it means they can't have the govt funding in case of interferance.

Guess the air ambulances are similar - do they prefer not to get funding cos of interferance, or are they wanting the govt backing?

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/smix_2006/pics%20for%20forums/boots-1.jpg

Maturity is Over Rated 
29/10/2007 at 12:29
bakerstreet wrote

How come your an 'ex diver'?

Go slow in bent shocker

I'm leaving on the five train
Don't ask me when I'm coming back again
I reckon it's only a matter of time
Before the law kick in the door
Mother I'm running out of change,
but I had to phone to let you know

They'll never take me alive....
OB
29/10/2007 at 12:30
They don't need it.

The RNLI have more money than they know what to do with. They are the most-funded charity in the UK.

So I heard from a source within.

29/10/2007 at 12:44
Wreckless Rat wrote
Accepting a tow at sea can be very costly though...

True, but the RNLI never claim salvage so it's OK to accept their help.
1 to 20 of 95 messages