Why are BMW and Merc Car Drivers such morons (statistically speaking)

18 messages
25/02/2004 at 09:06
On my ride in this morning, EVERY car pulling out from a minor road onto a major road (causing everyone to brake) was either a BMW or a Mercedes. I thought it was unusual at first and slightly humourous, but then after 40 minutes it started to just become a typical case.

Including: a Merc estate that indicated right, pulled to the left of the road, swung round (As if to enter the driveway) then did a 3-point turn before driving onto the driveway two houses before?

Also: are indicators an optional extra on BMWs and Mercs now?

Grrrrrrr

TIT #244AA
SG #668 (and bar)

"Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."
Honda - "Oh no, not the comfy chair"
God
25/02/2004 at 09:14
BMWs (cars) are primarily bought on the basis of image.

This explains the phenomena. Anyone stupid enough to part with upwards of £20k on the basis of image, isn't going to have a clue how to operate an indicator stalk are they?

Visordown Elefantentreffen 2007
Stella Alpina 2007

Organiser of the Couriers Tour of London

The Other Southern Death Racer VDCR#1450

PE: BMW Off Road Skills, Brecon Beacons.
PE: Ea
t more cheese.

http://

http://

25/02/2004 at 09:17
Please don't lump Mercedes drivers in with the owners of the lesser offerings from Bavaria
25/02/2004 at 09:31
it's true - the bigger, more expensive (but reasonably affordable for the "middle" class) the worse it will be driven and the less attention will be paid to what is going on outside.

Great Prophet of Veedism.
non quod sed quomodo
"BBQ fluid is a sweaty one night stand compared to the long term relationship of a properly burning wood fire."
Cool in a fuddy-duddy old fart kinda way - Wingnut
25/02/2004 at 09:34
It's to do with "owning the road", innit?

I can afford a more expensive car than you, therefore I have more right to the road and can pull out in front of you - you'll probably only hold me up anyway if I don't

You see a similar attitude from many bikers
25/02/2004 at 09:39
No comment.
25/02/2004 at 09:41
we've got an Easycar , does that mean that when I drive that I can do what I like on the road?

Goody

Its no good looking for the needle if you have already lost the thread.
25/02/2004 at 09:42
Tomcat wrote

Was it TE Lawrence who suggested the best road safety measure would be a sharp steel spike mounted on a car's steering wheel?

a much favoured idea at TRL too.....

Great Prophet of Veedism.
non quod sed quomodo
"BBQ fluid is a sweaty one night stand compared to the long term relationship of a properly burning wood fire."
Cool in a fuddy-duddy old fart kinda way - Wingnut
25/02/2004 at 09:50
Tomcat wrote

Was it TE Lawrence who suggested the best road safety measure would be a sharp steel spike mounted on a car's steering wheel?

That would be the same guy who raced his bike agaisnt a plane down the Uxbridge road,

Obviously an authority on road safety

As a merc driver no further comment is nessesary as you are beneath me
25/02/2004 at 09:58
BMW drivers own the road. In their owners tiny little minds, this is not open to debate. However I find Merc owners tend to be a bit clueless, in a people carrier, verging on Volvo sort of way

????
25/02/2004 at 12:10
last year the 3 series outsold the Mondeo.

Might just be that there are lots of them around and you were looking at them in particular so noticed them more?

In much the same way that you don't notice things until you notice them. Then can't avoid seeing them.

Take the 1966 world cup win for England. ( )

If you are English you probably won't have noticed how often it gets mentioned on international football coverage. If you live in Scotland you do, and it's a running joke. To the point that you can run sweeps on the BBC's coverage of any England game to see who can guess the number of minutes into the coverage before 1966 gets mentioned. I noticed this when I lived in Glasgow. Since then I have never been able NOT to notice it. It pisses me off as much as it does the sweaties now.

On the other hand my bad attitude may come from the fact that I have a very small willy, so drive a big car aggressively.
25/02/2004 at 12:22
3 near accidents with BMW drivers in one 400 mile car journey on Thursday last week.

E36 328i Touring overtaking on chevrons, forcing oncoming cars (including me) to take avoiding action before having to carve up a lorry to avoid a traffic island.

New M5 tailgating so close on the M6 I couldn't see the front edge of his bonnet. Then as he shot past he almost took the front of the car off.

X5 on the M40 undertaking before swerving out and narrowly missing an E class which had to anchor up.

Tossers. Complete and utter.

Dan

"What was was and what is is is and this what is is what's happening right now! "
Paul Teutul Sr

ZX-7R - Better than I'll ever be.

A few heartily recommended good guys:
Motorcycle HQ - Genuine Kwak parts/servicing (Heathrow area)
Bykebitz Cheap, knowledgeable
Micheldever Tyres Stupidly cheap car and bike tyres.
25/02/2004 at 12:25
What research and statistics are you basing your sweeping statement on ?

I know sweeping statements here don't normally require and substance but would like to know

I have enough bikes thanks
25/02/2004 at 12:25
Anything that is marketed as a "prestige" car is pandering to the ego of the people who buy it.

From dictionary.com for prestige (n) :-

1. The level of respect at which one is regarded by others; standing.
2. A person's high standing among others; honor or esteem.
3. Widely recognized prominence, distinction, or importance: a position of prestige in diplomatic circles.

So yep, at least some people who buy "prestige" cars genuinely do think that they are better than other people, and are thus prone to bullying the commoners out of the way.
25/02/2004 at 12:50
Scout wrote

Why are BMW and Merc Car Drivers such morons (statistically speaking)

blah.....blah....blah.......

Grrrrrrr

Puurrlleeaassee

bit of a general sweeping statement.....no?

Do you not know that being a 'proper' beemer or merc driver does in fact give you rights over other road users.

I do sympathise with your point of view in respect of the cheapskate ones out there (4cylinder versions) and especially those that ticked the no-cost option to remove model description from the boot. However they are of no relationship to me.

My M-class merc gives me the following rights i belive.

Its automatic - so no gear changing so my hands can be used for phone usage, map lookage, sweet unwrapping or abusive hand gestures to lesser mortals.

Its hhuuuge - everyone can see me, they can see where i am going so why do i need to indicate, plus i don't have any spare hands to deal with such trivia.

its heavy - i can pull out where ever i want, you can try and bounce your ka off the side of me if you want, but remember you don't know howmany drug dealers are inside due to the blacked out windows

its 4 wheel drive - so i am perfectly entiteld to sit 4 inches off your rear bumber in poor conditions, also please see heavy above

its slow upto 100mph - which means once i'm there i don't like to slow down, thus my flashes on the motorway are just to let you know how i feel about this and give you the opertunity to let me by

it does 19mpg - so i pay considerably more tax than you. this means i can sit in whichever lane i like, swap lanes or get value for my money and occupy two lanes at once.

hth
25/02/2004 at 13:01
Tomcat wrote

How long ago was that?

I only ask because a guy I used to work with in the late 80's came out with exactly the same when the first airbags were fitted

So it goes kerplunk, kerplunk, kerplunk, kerching, kerplunk..... but when she starts
:smoke:
"VDPC#3433801 (Bostrom)"
25/02/2004 at 13:50
postie wrote

New M5 tailgating so close on the M6 I couldn't see the front edge of his bonnet. Then as he shot past he almost took the front of the car off.

Proves nothing... the last car that did that to me was an Astra... (which is no big surprise).

Why is it that night falls but day breaks?
25/02/2004 at 14:00
whitebird wrote

So yep, at least some people who buy "prestige" cars genuinely do think that they are better than other people, and are thus prone to bullying the commoners out of the way.

We dont "think" we are better than other people we ARE better than other people
Your say
email image
18 messages