Who broke the forum

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
Who broke the forum

Strewth!

Was it a suicide blogging or something?
What the fucks happened?

katseye (not verified)

Hi Nige Great to see you. It was them other buggers that broke it honest, I was somewhere else at the time.

I've got used to it already!. Nice to hear from you Nige, how have you been?

katseye (not verified)

Admin wrote (see)

We're changing the format to something that's 'fixed width', so we've got rid of the navigation panel on the left and moved it to the right. It's all work in progress at the moment but essentially this is how it's going to look. I'd appreciate your feedback.

From another thread HTH

Good thanks both.
I've had to do some work - it was awful!

katseye wrote (see)

Admin wrote (see)

We're changing the format to something that's 'fixed width', so we've got rid of the navigation panel on the left and moved it to the right. It's all work in progress at the moment but essentially this is how it's going to look. I'd appreciate your feedback.

From another thread HTH

Ooh dear - that isn't necessarily a wise move.

Its a very bad move IMO Nige

Much loved internet forum Visordown.com sadly passed away at 4pm GMT on 13/03/2009. Known as "VD" to its many members, it lived through many cosmetic surgeries, sadly succumbing to its creator's obsession earlier today.Born of motorcycling stock and one of the many offspring of the MCN forum, VD quickly established itself as a loving home for many of the IT crowd from MCN. However, VD was never truly happy in itself. What started as a hobby for one young man, soon became his all consuming passion.Following a shocking sell out of its own moral high ground, VD was always nervous about being traded in for a newer model and underwent dramatic facial reconstruction in early 2007 in an attempt to remain attractive to its recent admirers aka posters & members.Ironically this had the opposite effect and actually repulsed these previous admirers so much that they themselves created a clone of the old VD, where many of these remain faithfully worshipping the old life.Strangely failing to learn from previous mistakes, VD attempted further, but potentially ore dramatic surgery earlier today and sadly succumbed.Dr. Ben Admin was quoted as saying he viewed the operation as a success and although the patient died, he remains happy with his work.VD is survived by a stepson www.therevcounter.com

RIP VD

katseye (not verified)

R1 loon wrote (see)

Much loved internet forum Visordown.com sadly passed away at 4pm GMT on 13/03/2009. Known as "VD" to its many members, it lived through many cosmetic surgeries, sadly succumbing to its creator's obsession earlier today.Born of motorcycling stock and one of the many offspring of the MCN forum, VD quickly established itself as a loving home for many of the IT crowd from MCN. However, VD was never truly happy in itself. What started as a hobby for one young man, soon became his all consuming passion.Following a shocking sell out of its own moral high ground, VD was always nervous about being traded in for a newer model and underwent dramatic facial reconstruction in early 2007 in an attempt to remain attractive to its recent admirers aka posters & members.Ironically this had the opposite effect and actually repulsed these previous admirers so much that they themselves created a clone of the old VD, where many of these remain faithfully worshipping the old life.Strangely failing to learn from previous mistakes, VD attempted further, but potentially ore dramatic surgery earlier today and sadly succumbed.Dr. Ben Admin was quoted as saying he viewed the operation as a success and although the patient died, he remains happy with his work.VD is survived by a stepson www.therevcounter.com

Sadly true,brilliant piece of writing but sad all the sameRIP VD

Brilliant

id just like to say it will be sadly missed

brilliant RIP vd, we'll miss you

its only right we celebrate vd's life shall we have a party?

I think I've figured out why I've not had too much of a problem with all this..On a 22" widescreen monitor it's still perfectly usable yer know.

I suspect yer in a minority Benjamin old son.

R1 loon wrote (see)

the mans a shakespere

Big Nige wrote (see)

I suspect yer in a minority Benjamin old son.

And I can't understand why..Some old gubbins has shifted from one side of the page to another. The ads that were at the top and bottom are now at the side. The bit of the forum where all the words are is a bit thinner than before.Am I missing something? Compared to the shift from VBulletin to Magicalia way back when, it's all completely mousefarts.

Couldn't agree more hb. Some people's sigs take up more space that the adverts.Admittedly, you can turn sigs off,  but hey ho.

The forum is about 40% of my screen, 50% is adverts and the other 10% is white.It's like the forum is irrelevant to the primary goal of ad revenue.

Hairy Ben wrote (see)

Am I missing something?

Yes - emphasis.It's no longer about the forum but the forum advertising.The king is dead.

My screen is 66% Nige, Hairy Ben and me (not really, but you get my drift)34% adverts.Gentlemen, bandwidth is cheap, but not free, servers are cheap, but not free, developers (whether we like their work or not) are expensive, and not free.If we don't like it, then we must seek an alternative.But it is unlikely to be free.

All these ads were here before but on the home page, I'm guessing most users log straight into general and therfore don't see them, hence the change.Apart from that, we have a lot of fun here do we not? I see no reason to flounce off anywhere.I suppose it's just Hairy Ben and I left then.

Big Nige wrote (see)

It's no longer about the forum but the forum advertising.

It's a commercial site. <shrugs> Makes me wish I'd counted the ads recently, because my hind-brain is telling me there aren't that many more than yesterday.

All my text is centred, none of the lines start from the left but in the middle.. wtf

Huw wrote (see)

Apart from that, we have a lot of fun here do we not? I see no reason to flounce off anywhere.I suppose it's just Hairy Ben and I left then.

Quite right.This is the second time I've found myself on here trying to be positive to people thinking of leaving because of some changes that have gone on..If it happens a third time I'm going to invoice bloody Magicalia.

I've had a go at that Firefox yarip thing and now I've completely fucked it up.I don't mind adverts; I do mind them being bigger than the forum thoug.Maybe htere should be an option for magazine subscribers to get advert free screens

R1 loon wrote (see)

I've had a go at that Firefox yarip thing and now I've completely fucked it up.I don't mind adverts; I do mind them being bigger than the forum thoug.Maybe htere should be an option for magazine subscribers to get advert free screens

Have got rid of all the adds on the right.pointer over top right next to Visordown Member box in the white bit right click down to YArip hover over parent bit the click on blacklist, then click the window that comes up. Gets rid of all the right hand bit.

It looks terrible. Even more terrible than what it replaced, and that is saying something. 66% (ish) is white screen. I know you can't polish a turd and all that, but which retard was wearing the spastic goggles when they settled on this design? Nice eulogy btw. 

I thank youI'm off to have another go at this teccie yarip thingy - I've messed it up twice, but I shall overcome

dooffle9 wrote (see)

Have got rid of all the adds on the right.pointer over top right next to Visordown Member box in the white bit right click down to YArip hover over parent bit the click on blacklist, then click the window that comes up. Gets rid of all the right hand bit.

FFS now I've lost my PMs. How the fcuk do I get them back?

Private details under the thread title.Mine flashes up for a second so I can spot any new ones.

That yarip thing is bollocks, I followed what you said, all the ads stayed and I lost my PMs.How the fcuk do you get it all back - I've had to uninstall Firefox and the reinstallthe bloody thing

My adds came back after a bit so did it again.You have to make sure that the box around the whole right section is highlighted, it does mean that you loose the Member box, which is a pain for PM's.Of to bed now WSB at 8.30

Done it and it works too.I'll pick up PMs from IE, but no more ads and a nice wide screen again

Where's me tea.

Alan Haskins (not verified)

Guys, guys, guys, it's only a forum, who cares whether or not there's adverts on it, you don't have to buy anything. On my screen the ads have moved, that's all.Same old VD as far as I can see...

Its shit and Ben's a cunt.HTH

Orangevest wrote (see)

Its shit and Ben's a cunt.HTH

Tell it like it is mate

Alan Haskins wrote (see)

Guys, guys, guys, it's only a forum, who cares whether or not there's adverts on it, you don't have to buy anything. On my screen the ads have moved, that's all.Same old VD as far as I can see...

It's not though Alan, the adverts have increased masivelyin size and the forum s much smaller on thescreen.I've downloaded all the stuff and it's back to the way it was, ut I don't see why a customer has to go out of their way to make a product useable.You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you're very much in a minority thinking this new formatting is OK.Guess it explains why it's been running so slowly for the past month or so though

shite in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R1 loon wrote (see)

I don't see why a customer has to go out of their way to make a product useable.

That's the bike aftermarket tat/bling/shite market gone then.

FJSRiDER. wrote (see)

R1 loon wrote (see)

I don't see why a customer has to go out of their way to make a product useable.

That's the bike aftermarket tat/bling/shite market gone then.

not really the same is it?bike come from the manufacturer perfectly useable, tat just personalises it, doesn't improve it one jot in most cases.this place NEEDS tinkering just to make it useable just like 99% of forums out there are from the minute you sign up

R1 loon wrote (see)

Done it and it works too.I'll pick up PMs from IE, but no more ads and a nice wide screen again

Have done the same and it works nicely

Alan Haskins wrote (see)

You see, Alan, it is a bit like the Suzuki TLS. Take your TLS for example. I used to have a silver TLS, it was lovely looking. I now have a black TLS, it is also lovely looking. I wouldn't want to buy it from the shop covered in crappy stickers, nor would I have any inclination to buy stickers for it after purchase. It would ruin the aesthetics. These not-so-subtle additions would transform how the bike is perceived. How it is received. Much more than pout-paint on a porcine, this is high heels and a trashy 'New Look' dress. I know; a bike is for riding, but then a forum is for reading. A few well placed stickers wouldn't of course effect how I ride, but these are not well placed stickers. This detracts from the ambience. The pride in what is being said (ha!) and having some 14yo on work experience let loose in the web design department without consulting those who use the place is, without being too dramatic, farcical. There are some good people here, you'd think every effort would be made to keep them. Although I'm sure that's been said before. 

Alan Haskins (not verified)

Docca wrote (see)

Alan Haskins wrote (see)

I wouldn't want to buy it from the shop covered in crappy stickers.....a bike is for riding, but then a forum is for reading.

The difference here is the word 'buy'. If I was buying membership to a forum I'd be up in arms about the changes if I didn't like them. But this is provided free by someone else, and they have the right to change it as they please. And has it really changed that much, apart from moving the ads around a bit?Loon - I think I may have been lucky here; the only difference on my screen is that the forum's on the left, I don't have any problems with width (the opposite in fact, I no longer have to scroll across the screen on some threads), and it seems quicker now.

Alan - your screen must be the same size as the designers!! LOL xx

Back in 2007 when this was all turned on its head, most were paid members. Most were up in arms. The difference here is revenue. They have to acrue some money back, so here are the adverts. It does all look very clumsy though. 

Docca wrote (see)

Back in 2007 when this was all turned on its head, most were paid members. Most were up in arms. The difference here is revenue. They have to acrue some money back, so here are the adverts. It does all look very clumsy though. 

Your opinions count for fuck all i'm afraid.You own a TL

I own a ZX7r too if that makes me have anymore of a voice? No? Arse. 

Docca wrote (see)

I own a ZX7r too if that makes me have anymore of a voice? No? Arse. 

I like ZX7r's.But no, your opinion still counts for fuck all.Even though you are right

Docca wrote (see)

The difference here is revenue. They have to acrue some money back, so here are the adverts. It does all look very clumsy though. 

I don't think there is any form of marketing strategy that can make decent money from forums.I've got a feeling that (as we know them) they will pass away anyway and the next genre will be a version of a blog and FaceSpace/My Book social networking.  (Can I have my billion dollars for inventing internet 3.0 now?)

Follow Visordown

Top News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month