Which do you suppose are the World's top ten spectator sports?

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
Which do you suppose are the World's top ten spectator sports?

I don't know, do you?

Football (soccer) would have to be in there somewhere, I'm sure you'd agree.

But what else? Left-handed surfing doesn't count.

Acid flashbacks?

Golf? Motorsport and cricket must feature as well.

Popularity of Sports 1) Football Soccer. The most important and popular sport in the world. In Europe and Latin America is the number one sport in all countries, in Africa is almost the most important sport as well its becoming a mayor popular sport in China, Korea, Japan and the Middle East. Weakness: Its no so popular in India, USA and Canada. Women Football is not as popular as men. 2) Basketball The second most popular sport in the World. Its one of the most popular sports in USA, Canada, the second in importance in Europe, Brasil, Argentina and China. nº1 sport in Lithuania. Weakness: It's a sport for tall people, not so popular in Africa, the middle east, India, and East Asia. 3) Car Racing (F1, Rally, CART etc). The highiest TV rating sport in the World. Weakness: Some people don't consider this to be a real sport. 4) Tennis. A worldwide sport, played everywhere. Wimbledon, Roland Garros, US Open, Australia and the Davis Cup and mayor world sports events. For Women it's the most popular sport in the World. Weakness: It's a sport for middle and high class people. 5) Athletism (includes swimming) The World Cup is the third in importance after the Soccer World Cup and the Olimpic games. Weakness: Its being constellation of sports in which Capitalism fought peacefully against the Communist countries. In Latin America and the Third World Countries, this kind of sports are not that popular. 6) Golf Another Worldwide sport, played everywhere. Specially in USA and Europe. Weakness: Its a sport for very high class people. 7) Boxing. Some people consider Boxing the second sport in popularity. But it depends too much on the actual boxers in activity. Weakness: It's a danger sport, only occasionally there is a fight that stimulates the worlds attention. 8) Baseball. The nº1 sport in USA. Weakness: It's a local sport, only being popular in USA, Venezuela, Central America, Puerto Rico, Cuba and Japan. It doesn't have a World Cup, and the best players never attend in the Olimpic Games. 9) Volleyball (includes beach volley) A Worldwide sport. Being played in every corner of the planet. It's the second most popular sport in Brasil. Women volley is the second sport for Women in the World. Weakness: Many people practice it, but doesn't follow the professional tournaments. The best players are not known by the people and the mass media. 10) Hockey (ice, land and roller). Another Local Sport. Land Hockey: It's the National and Second in Popularity sport in India and Pakistan. Also a mayor Olimpic Sport. Ice Hockey: The National Sport in Canada and very popular in USA, Russia and Northern Europe. A mayor sport in the Winter Olimpic Games. Weakness: It's a sport being played in few countries with no big popularity. In Latin America its only being played in Argentina where the women version of Land Hockey is more popular than the men s one. 11) Water, Wind Sports. (surf, wind-surf, boating, etc) Too many and of different kinds. Only popular in the high class people. Surf is a very popular sport everywhere. Weakness: competitions doesn't awake the worlds attention. 12) Skiing. A Sport for high classes in USA and Europe. 13) Cricket Another Local Sport. Played almost in the British Colonies, it's the most important sport in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and the West Indies (Bahamas), and its the national sport in England and the third in popularity in Australia and South Africa. Weakness. Its just a Local sport with no existence in the rest of the World. 14) Rugby (union, league and seven) A Local Sport. Played in the British Colonies and in France. It's the most popular sport in New Zealand, the second in England, France and South Africa. And very popular in Australia. Weakness: Its not an Olimpic Sport. In some parts of the World, specially in the whole American continent, East Europe, Asia and Africa this sport is don't even known. 15) Table Tennis. It's an important Olimpic sport. The National Sport in China. Weakness: In most parts of the World its just a game. 16) Martian Arts (Judo, Taek Won Do, Karate, etc) Another important Olimpic Sports. Weakness: The ordinary people doesnt understand its rules, so its difficult to see it if you have never practice them. 17) Cycling A Mayor Sport. Important in the Olimpic Games. The nº1 sport in the Basque Country (Spain). Weakness: It's a boring sport to watch it on TV. 18) American Football A Sport only being Popular in USA 19) Handball A Sport only important cause its an Olympic Sport. 20) Waterpolo. A Sport only important cause its an Olympic Sport. Only popular in Spain. 21) Bull Fighting Only popular in Spain and Mexico. 22) Badminton A Sport only important cause its an Olimpic Sport, in many countries its just a game. 23) Polo It's a sport for Aristocrats. Only Popular in Argentina. 24) Australian Football. Nº1 Sport in Australia. 25) Hurlingham. Only played in Britain and some parts of USA. 26) Paddle Tennis. Only Popular in Argentina and Spain. 27) Chess. This is not a sport 28) Turf. Gambling not a sport. 29) Shooting. For fight not a sport

jonmelkay wrote

4) Tennis.A worldwide sport, played everywhere. Wimbledon, Roland Garros, US Open, Australia and the Davis Cup and mayor world sports events. For Women it's the most popular sport in the World.Weakness: It's a sport for middle and high class people. 6) GolfAnother Worldwide sport, played everywhere. Specially in USA and Europe.Weakness: Its a sport for very high class people.

Anyone told Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters(brothers)?

Martian arts?

A couple of rather lame Googling attempts which neither of you appeared to bother reading.From the first: "After soccer I think it is Rugby Union" and from the second: "Women Football is not as popular as men". I think we can discount that source (for it was the same article) as not having been lifted from Guinness' book If you can find a reputable link post it up by all means, otherwise have a bit of a think for yourselves.Table tennis must be popular in China, there's plenty of them?

I wonder if Tai Chi rates up there somewhere somehow...prolly more a participant thing?

jonmelkay didn't cut n' paste the entire page, the most 'popular' sports are not necessarily the most 'popular spectator' sports...which was Silents question.

World's Top 10 Spectator Sportssoccer, cricket, formula 1, rugby, olympics, golf, wrestling, running, basketball and american football

fulltilt wrote

A couple of rather lame Googling attempts which neither of you appeared to bother reading.From the first: "After soccer I think it is Rugby Union" and from the second: "Women Football is not as popular as men". I think we can discount that source (for it was the same article) as not having been lifted from Guinness' book If you can find a reputable link post it up by all means, otherwise have a bit of a think for yourselves.Table tennis must be popular in China, there's plenty of them?

I did read the link I posted, but it has to be asked .... why ask the question when you're perfectly capable of using Google yourself ?

bomma wrote

I did read the link I posted, but it has to be asked .... why ask the question when you're perfectly capable of using Google yourself ?

Because google doesn't appear to have the answer.Again, your link is not credible, I don't accept there's no mention of baseball or ice hockey in there. Who actually watches 'running'?

fulltilt wrote

Because google doesn't appear to have the answer.Again, your link is not credible, I don't accept there's no mention of baseball or ice hockey in there. Who actually watches 'running'?

true, and Olympics isn't a sport, it's an event.tell you what, you take your little self off and find the answer and post it up, there's a good lad, I'm sure we're all very interested in the answer.

kabadi?

Trixyminx wrote

kabadi?

Can't hold my breath long enough to play

Got to be Ladies Beach Volley Ball :smoke:

fulltilt wrote

You've said you don't know the answer, so don't berate others for trying to provide one.

This thread is useless without more pics like this...

bluemissile wrote

Darts would be pretty high up, I'd guess.

Ceri wrote

You've said you don't know the answer, so don't berate others for trying to provide one.

The question, quite deliberately, was what do *you* suppose are the top ten, not 'can you google for what some 12yr old American thinks'.If you want to suggest a popular spectator sport which might be in the running, or link to the actual answers then please do. If you want an argument I'm sure there are other threads you could go have one in, thanks.

fulltilt wrote

The question, quite deliberately, was what do *you* suppose are the top ten, not 'can you google for what some 12yr old American thinks'.If you want to suggest a popular spectator sport which might be in the running, or link to the actual answers then please do. If you want an argument I'm sure there are other threads you could go have one in, thanks.

I don't think there are actual answers because the question is ambiguous. Do you mean what are the top ten sports which spectators go to a ground to watch, or do you include spectators in a televisual capacity. If you include the latter then I would suggest football, seeing as billions have just watched the World Cup, and football is regularly broadcast on television. If you mean what sport has the most bums on seats in grounds, then that's a totally different question which Google will probably be able to provide you the answer to. Basketball is a popular sport which is watched by many in arenas, but the arenas tend to be small compared to the size of a possibly half full football ground. Whereas the stadium capacity of a running event is far bigger, although athletic events don't happen as often as basketball matches.

bluemissile wrote

I didn't realise volleyball was so dangerous. It must have taken a really nasty tumble in the sand to turn her vagina upside down and move it halfway up her arse.

Ceri wrote

Do you mean what are the top ten sports which spectators go to a ground to watch, or do you include spectators in a televisual capacity.

To be in the top ten it's obviously going to have to include television. Not that that should be much of a factor though, since all major sporting events are televised to bring in advertising revenue.Americans are insistent that baseball is huge around the world, same for ice hockey. I don't see any evidence either are big outside of their own country, and being unable to google how they compare to each other and 'our' sports, I thought I'd ask here.

fulltilt wrote

If you want to suggest a popular spectator sport which might be in the running,

Based on the fact that the biggest individual sporting event is supposed to be the World Cup, and the biggest annual sporting event is the Tour de France, I would suggest that those two sports are up there as candidates for the top two slots. The question is then whether all the other smaller events in those two specific sports outweigh the totals for individual events of sports like American football, basketball and some other sports that have been mentioned. They probably don't when compared to soccer-football, but I wouldn't be too sure that the other European cycle tours attract more spectators than the total for say the NFL and AFL for example, or basketball, or particularly cricket in the Asian continent.Good question.

Skating? Skateboarding, BMX'ing, that sorta stuff is ranked high I should imagine!

ok, I 'suppose' the most popular spectator sports are ... FootballCricketBaseballRugby UnionTennisMotor racing CyclingGolfAmerican footballBasketball..so what do you 'suppose' then Silent ?

bomma wrote

ok, I 'suppose' the most popular spectator sports are ... FootballCricketBaseballRugby UnionTennisMotor racing CyclingGolfAmerican footballBasketball..so what do you 'suppose' then Silent ?

Football first, then in no particular order:BaseballIce hockeyAmerican footballFormula 1 (have to differentiate if you aren't going to lump others together as 'ballsports')Moto GPHorse racingAthleticsCyclingmaybe Nascar/cart racing/Indy/etcBut I'd not like to guess in which order they appear, if at all. I did think someone would know though.

fulltilt wrote

To be in the top ten it's obviously going to have to include television. Not that that should be much of a factor though, since all major sporting events are televised to bring in advertising revenue.Americans are insistent that baseball is huge around the world, same for ice hockey. I don't see any evidence either are big outside of their own country, and being unable to google how they compare to each other and 'our' sports, I thought I'd ask here.

It wasn't obvious, but thank you for that clarification.Baseball is just rounders with caps.

Ceri wrote

Baseball is just rounders with caps.

I tried telling the merkins that. And that throwing balls in hoops is a girls' sport called netball, as is hockey, and merkin football is just rugby for poofs who're scared of getting hurt.

What the Hell is

jonmelkay wrote

<snip>25) Hurlingham. Only played in Britain and some parts of USA. <snip>

As a Briton I feel I should know what sports are played here.

fulltilt wrote

Football first, then in no particular order:BaseballIce hockeyAmerican footballFormula 1 (have to differentiate if you aren't going to lump others together as 'ballsports')Moto GPHorse racingAthleticsCyclingmaybe Nascar/cart racing/Indy/etcBut I'd not like to guess in which order they appear, if at all. I did think someone would know though.

..but F1/Nascar/Indy car are all 'motor racing' as in racing a race car around a track, football is entirely different to Basketball which is different again to Rugby which is different again to American football....and Baseball is nothing like Cricket. But all motor car racing is similar ...drive as fast as you can around a track and first past the chequered flag is the winner.hth

jonmelkay wrote

Popularity of Sports 14) Rugby (union, league and seven) Weakness: Its not an Olimpic Sport. In some parts of the World, specially in the whole American continent, this sport is don't even known.

I think the Argies do rugby.

bomma wrote

..but F1/Nascar/Indy car are all 'motor racing' as in racing a race car around a track, football is entirely different to Basketball which is different again to Rugby which is different again to American football....and Baseball is nothing like Cricket. But all motor car racing is similar ...drive as fast as you can around a track and first past the chequered flag is the winner.hth

But different to bike racing so car racing and bike racing as different catagories.My top 10FootballCar RacingCricketHockey (ice and field)Rugby (union & league)BasketballTennisBaseballAmerican Football or Rugby for Puffs Bike Racing

ink ink wrote

I think the Argies do rugby.

They're not very good at it, but they do it!

silentmemory wrote

I don't know, do you?Football (soccer) would have to be in there somewhere, I'm sure you'd agree.But what else? Left-handed surfing doesn't count.

I bet it's baseball - all the slopes are heavily into it and there's like a gatrillion of em

Ceri wrote

They'll get better.

Cycling has to be up very near the top , I remeber reading somewhere that the Tour de France is the biggest annual sporting event.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_attendancesNo time to make any sense of it right now.

It all depends what the billion folk in China watch and the 700m in India

Yorick wrote

It all depends what the billion folk in China watch and the 700m in India

the Indians watch cricket and the Chinese don't have a telly.

bomma wrote

the Indians watch cricket and the Chinese don't have a telly.

They do in our local Chinky Cue the self righteous, sactimonious, pompous twat calling me a racist

Ceri wrote

Baseball is just rounders with caps.

Yorick wrote

Cue the self righteous, sactimonious, pompous twat calling me a racist

I thought you just rode very, very fast. I didn't realise you were a racist.

Ceri wrote

You seen who they've beat and nearly beat lately? Currently ranked 8th ABOVE Wales

Sigsy wrote

You seen who they've beat and nearly beat lately? Currently ranked 8th ABOVE Wales

And your point is.....................

saga_lout wrote

I thought you just rode very, very fast. I didn't realise you were a racist.

There's a difference you know.Take Troy Bayliss for example. He's a professional racist.

I think that with very little marketing, Stoning could become number 1"Two points, ah, two flats, and a packet of gravel"

fulltilt wrote

I'd agree with this, with the exception of the cricket omission - it's the most popular sport on the sub-continent which is made up of quite a few people.Cycling has to be pretty high up there, with the TdF regularly getting tens of thousands of people being at the mountain stages.Bomma - surely Rugby Union is bigger than League? Certainly as a global entity?

It's still a bit off but I reckon with the right format tournament paintball could get 'up there'.Currently it's only just about watchable as a highlights format..www.youtube.com/watch?v=pESMNd72xFg&mode=related&search=paintball

Monster Trucks !

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month