What do you think of Custom Cruisers?

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
What do you think of Custom Cruisers?

Watched some of a programme called Biker Build Off last night and it featured some custom bikes which were works of art, jaw-droppingly gorgeous (IMO). Albeit probably not very rideable, but as forms in metal, not far short of some of the sexiest bits of bike heritage.

Some of them explode a caricature of the motorcycle, and reassemble it into something that looks like a child's perfect doodle-bike:

and some hark back to a golden era of chrome and rubber:

Major manufacturers could do well to take cues from these guys, their attention to detail (where the devil lies, after all) and worship of form making some of the 'Big 4' designs look, by comparison, like they formed in a jelly mould.

OK, so there have been a few inspired design touches which have made it to market (Ducati 916 rear end, YZF-R lights, Speed Triple 'haunch') but mass market bikes tend to play it safe, rather than challenge their market's tastes.

But are they your cup of tea, can you see past the stereotype and make out the beauty, or are they lost on you?

OB wrote

Now that is class.

You've been doing some research... I love the attention to detail - but don't like the style of the bikes themselves. Put that kind of detail work onto a Cafe racer or a Dual Sport special and I really would be drooling.

You need to read Back Street Heroes...

Wingnut wrote

You need to read Back Street Heroes...

Who - me or OB?

What do you think of Custom Cruisers? Whatever floats your boat

RiceBurner wrote

Who - me or OB?

Whoever likes those styles of motorcycle...

Wingnut wrote

Whoever likes those styles of motorcycle...

Do you mean lowrider/chops or bikes with lovingly crafted attention to detail - but not necessarily lowrider/chops?

OB wrote

a Harley anorak would say at this point:what an interesting engine, looks like an early Shovel bottom end with an Evo top....

RiceBurner wrote

Do you mean lowrider/chops or bikes with lovingly crafted attention to detail - but not necessarily lowrider/chops?

I mean custom cruisersThere is a clue in the thread title...

I'm always impressed by a concept that has been well realised. As OB says, the attention to detail, with relation to form, and the glorious obsession needed to complete such a project is inspiring. The inspiration will be lost on many, due to the standard tribal defensiveness of those who 'support' a different 'style' of bike. It's tiresome, but inevitable. Ref to the old 'ergonomics' thread:The hand controls seem very similar to 'normal' bikes at the level of detail I can see. As style statements, are these anything other than a standard bike made operationally worse by a flashy visual shell?

Wyn D'oh wrote

The inspiration will be lost on many, due to the standard tribal defensiveness of those who 'support' a different 'style' of bike. It's tiresome, but inevitable.

It ain't my kinda bike, in fact I wouldn't be seen dead on something like that, but I can appreciate the engineering, styling and originality of such machines.

Wingnut wrote

I can appreciate the engineering, styling and originality of such machines.

Cool

RatBikeZone wrote

a Harley anorak would say at this point:what an interesting engine, looks like an early Shovel bottom end with an Evo top....

I'm pretty sure they would say generator shovel

Wyn D'oh wrote

Ref to the old 'ergonomics' thread:The hand controls seem very similar to 'normal' bikes at the level of detail I can see. As style statements, are these anything other than a standard bike made operationally worse by a flashy visual shell?

they both have a foot clutch, probably even suicide clutchthe green bike has hand a hand gear lever and the red bike a jockey leverand the red one has a frisco brakewhich I wouldn't necessarily describe as "similar to 'normal' bikes"

Cruisers are GREAT if you are...a, A dwarf.b, A woman.c, A gay.Otherwise they just scream "saddo"

RatBikeZone wrote

they both have a foot clutch, probably even suicide clutchthe green bike has hand a hand gear lever and the red bike a jockey leverand the red one has a frisco brakewhich I wouldn't necessarily describe as "similar to 'normal' bikes"

Do these make operation better?

mr tack wrote

i dont think a dwarf can reach my handlebars. last time i looked im a bloke.as for gay look under power ranger

Here's my old one

mr tack wrote

as for gay look under power ranger

mr tack wrote

I can't find my old pics. .WHO ? painted it or did it catch necrosis ?

Mettalic blue with black tiger stripes and a CANDY RED frame!

OB wrote

But are they your cup of tea, can you see past the stereotype and make out the beauty, or are they lost on you?

Absolutely love these futile things! They are utterly pointless but simultaneously are totally divine. These objects are the epitome of motorised bicycles. :smoke:

I don't like cruisers and would never have one as I really like the concept of getting huge power out of a small (compared to car for example) engine. A 1600cc engine that produces 80BHP seems a little ridiculous IMO.However I do sometimes see the cruisers that some of the better builders come up with and think 'fuck me that's pretty. I wonder what it'd look like in my workshop'

RiceBurner wrote

You've been doing some research... I love the attention to detail - but don't like the style of the bikes themselves. Put that kind of detail work onto a Cafe racer or a Dual Sport special and I really would be drooling.

He's right you know If it doesnt go fairly fast, handle impeccably and is at least semi comfortable, you can put all the bling you want on it and I'm not interested any more.And someone PLEASE put a stop to these painted flames on bikes!!!!!!!! Talk about unoriginal!What really gets me is that some of these show bikes don't even have internal parts in the engine. It makes them easier to move from the truck to the next show.

mr tack wrote

i .as for gay look under power ranger

Shut it, fatso

Old school baby.Did my eyes decieve me or did I see OCC putting a bloody lawnmower engine into one of their "bikes"?Twats.

I've long been a fan and have toyed with building a few myself.It's the fact that they're different. They can also be built to go and handle too.The low power is a fallacy. My VS1400 dynos at just 60bhp at the back wheel at 5000rpm, but the torque is 98 lb/ft at 3000rpm. Which means, if ridden by throttling hard from low down, you can really make it shift. The handling means that you have to plan a corner to the nth degree, rather than just attack it and react, but they can still be made to go well. BUt that can be fun in itself - it's certainly challenging.They'll never be a substitute for a sports bike. That's not the point. For some people it's about which kind of bike is "better", but often that's just an image thing. Why not have more than one kind of bike?I have a sporty bike with a cruiser engine and a cruiser with a fast engine. I like to be different. IMO there's a big difference between a cruiser and a custom. But that's a new debate in itself.

www.exilecycles.com yes please :burnout:

milky82 (not verified)

Wyn D'oh wrote

I'm always impressed by a concept that has been well realised. As OB says, the attention to detail, with relation to form, and the glorious obsession needed to complete such a project is inspiring. The inspiration will be lost on many, due to the standard tribal defensiveness of those who 'support' a different 'style' of bike. It's tiresome, but inevitable. Ref to the old 'ergonomics' thread:The hand controls seem very similar to 'normal' bikes at the level of detail I can see. As style statements, are these anything other than a standard bike made operationally worse by a flashy visual shell?

I like them cos they wheels that go round like the song about the bus

There was a rather pretty cement mixer powered one at last years NEC show.Did anyone see that? Gotta be putting out about 5 horses Most are just realisations of twisted imaginations. Exercises.I think they certainly have their place in motorcycling.

mr tack wrote

gis a kiss mwahhh

I'll gi' thee a Glaswegian kiss

I think they are great............Keep the secondhand bits market going, all those people getting rid of perfectly good shockers so they can ride some hardtail shed Selling unfinished projects

Certainly wouldnt buy one, but you cant fault the engineering on a lot of them. Even enjoy watching American Chopper from time to time.

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month