What do you think of Custom Cruisers?

1 to 20 of 30 messages
OB
10/11/2004 at 13:48
Watched some of a programme called Biker Build Off last night and it featured some custom bikes which were works of art, jaw-droppingly gorgeous (IMO). Albeit probably not very rideable, but as forms in metal, not far short of some of the sexiest bits of bike heritage.

Some of them explode a caricature of the motorcycle, and reassemble it into something that looks like a child's perfect doodle-bike:

and some hark back to a golden era of chrome and rubber:

Major manufacturers could do well to take cues from these guys, their attention to detail (where the devil lies, after all) and worship of form making some of the 'Big 4' designs look, by comparison, like they formed in a jelly mould.

OK, so there have been a few inspired design touches which have made it to market (Ducati 916 rear end, YZF-R lights, Speed Triple 'haunch') but mass market bikes tend to play it safe, rather than challenge their market's tastes.

But are they your cup of tea, can you see past the stereotype and make out the beauty, or are they lost on you?

10/11/2004 at 13:52
OB wrote

Now that is class.

Mr. Tibbs hits the nail on the head when it comes to what happens if you help the environment.

Mr Tibbs wrote
You'll be a fucking hero and some sort of tree-hugging yoghurt-weaving organisation is bound to reward you with free sandals and worry-beads for the rest of your low-impact environmentally friendly life.

Every man should have a shed where he can potter, Visordown is my shed on the internet
10/11/2004 at 14:02
You've been doing some research...

I love the attention to detail - but don't like the style of the bikes themselves.

Put that kind of detail work onto a Cafe racer or a Dual Sport special and I really would be drooling.

Great Prophet of Veedism.
non quod sed quomodo
"BBQ fluid is a sweaty one night stand compared to the long term relationship of a properly burning wood fire."
Cool in a fuddy-duddy old fart kinda way - Wingnut
10/11/2004 at 14:03
You need to read Back Street Heroes...

I see a boundary. I eat that boundary and wash it down with a steaming hot cup of rules...
Race reports and pics at - www.nakedracingproject.com
Supporting the Greenpeace Esperanza's anti-whaling expedition to the Pacific.
10/11/2004 at 14:05
Wingnut wrote
You need to read Back Street Heroes...

Who - me or OB?

non quod sed quomodo
"BBQ fluid is a sweaty one night stand compared to the long term relationship of a properly burning wood fire."
10/11/2004 at 14:09
What do you think of Custom Cruisers?

Whatever floats your boat

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
10/11/2004 at 14:10
RiceBurner wrote
Who - me or OB?

Whoever likes those styles of motorcycle...

I see a boundary. I eat that boundary and wash it down with a steaming hot cup of rules...
10/11/2004 at 14:14
Wingnut wrote
Whoever likes those styles of motorcycle...

Do you mean lowrider/chops or bikes with lovingly crafted attention to detail - but not necessarily lowrider/chops?

non quod sed quomodo
RBZ
10/11/2004 at 14:16
OB wrote

a Harley anorak would say at this point:

what an interesting engine, looks like an early Shovel bottom end with an Evo top....

RBZ

10/11/2004 at 14:20
RiceBurner wrote

Do you mean lowrider/chops or bikes with lovingly crafted attention to detail - but not necessarily lowrider/chops?

I mean custom cruisers

There is a clue in the thread title...

10/11/2004 at 14:22
I'm always impressed by a concept that has been well realised. As OB says, the attention to detail, with relation to form, and the glorious obsession needed to complete such a project is inspiring.

The inspiration will be lost on many, due to the standard tribal defensiveness of those who 'support' a different 'style' of bike. It's tiresome, but inevitable.

Ref to the old 'ergonomics' thread:
The hand controls seem very similar to 'normal' bikes at the level of detail I can see.
As style statements, are these anything other than a standard bike made operationally worse by a flashy visual shell?

"Put a drop of lavender in milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it"

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

"We sang 'Cwm Rhondda' and 'Delilah', damn, they sounded both the same."
10/11/2004 at 14:26
Wyn D'oh wrote
The inspiration will be lost on many, due to the standard tribal defensiveness of those who 'support' a different 'style' of bike. It's tiresome, but inevitable.

It ain't my kinda bike, in fact I wouldn't be seen dead on something like that, but I can appreciate the engineering, styling and originality of such machines.

10/11/2004 at 14:28
Wingnut wrote
I can appreciate the engineering, styling and originality of such machines.

Cool

"Put a drop of lavender in milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it"

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

10/11/2004 at 14:31
RatBikeZone wrote
a Harley anorak would say at this point:

what an interesting engine, looks like an early Shovel bottom end with an Evo top....

I'm pretty sure they would say generator shovel
RBZ
10/11/2004 at 14:32
Wyn D'oh wrote
Ref to the old 'ergonomics' thread:
The hand controls seem very similar to 'normal' bikes at the level of detail I can see.
As style statements, are these anything other than a standard bike made operationally worse by a flashy visual shell?

they both have a foot clutch, probably even suicide clutch
the green bike has hand a hand gear lever and the red bike a jockey lever
and the red one has a frisco brake

which I wouldn't necessarily describe as "similar to 'normal' bikes"

RBZ

10/11/2004 at 14:36
Cruisers are GREAT if you are...

a, A dwarf.

b, A woman.

c, A gay.

Otherwise they just scream "saddo"

Yeah? whatever!
10/11/2004 at 14:39
RatBikeZone wrote
they both have a foot clutch, probably even suicide clutch
the green bike has hand a hand gear lever and the red bike a jockey lever
and the red one has a frisco brake

which I wouldn't necessarily describe as "similar to 'normal' bikes"

Do these make operation better?

10/11/2004 at 14:43
mr tack wrote
i dont think a dwarf can reach my handlebars.
last time i looked im a bloke.
as for gay look under power ranger

Here's my old one

Yeah? whatever!
10/11/2004 at 14:46
mr tack wrote
as for gay look under power ranger

10/11/2004 at 14:50
mr tack wrote
I can't find my old pics. .
WHO ? painted it or did it catch necrosis ?

Mettalic blue with black tiger stripes and a CANDY RED frame!

Yeah? whatever!
1 to 20 of 30 messages