Undertaking is illegal on the motorway, isn't it?

1 to 20 of 60 messages
19/10/2007 at 09:43
But is it also illegal to hog the middle or outside lane? If so, which is the most illegal

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for either offence?

This thought may have something to do with this morning's ride down the M1 where the outside lane was full for at least 800 yards but the inside and middle lanes were completely empty. Traffic all doing 65mph (except me )
19/10/2007 at 09:46
I think under certain circumstances, undertaking isn't illegal. Could be wrong though.

Without Visordown we are as shakey as .... as a fiddler ... on the roof!
19/10/2007 at 09:46
No its not illegal (undertaking that is) Dunno about the other, should be

Fuelledby1664
Iftheaboveposthasnorelevancetothethreadisgarbledmisspeltorramblingonisderogatoryorabusive
inanywayshapeorformIcannotandwillnotbeheldresponsibleforanyactionspostsorviewspostedwhilstundera1664cloudymist
19/10/2007 at 09:52
choc-ice wrote
But is it also illegal to hog the middle or outside lane? If so, which is the most illegal

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for either offence?

This thought may have something to do with this morning's ride down the M1 where the outside lane was full for at least 800 yards but the inside and middle lanes were completely empty. Traffic all doing 65mph (except me )

i second that

amazes me peeps will sit in outside lane in a q while i sail by on the inside

sheep mentality i think
19/10/2007 at 09:53
I think its because there is a difference between undertaking and progressing in a difference lane basically.
19/10/2007 at 09:55
I believe if you are deliberately undertaking to get ahead of traffic then yes it is illegal

However if you are just holding your lane and speed and are passing traffic on the nearside then no.

Think thats how plod would see it but i wait to be corrected
19/10/2007 at 09:55
Undertaking is not illegal as long as you haven't changed lanes to do so and you are not exceeding the speed limit.

I may have lost my way, but I'm way ahead of schedule.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/AtomicPunk2/c912_12small.jpg

Turn your highbeam off, Twat.

FRM#8

19/10/2007 at 09:57
I'll tell you what annoys me - if I'm in the fast lane and there's cars ahead so I can't go any faster and some twat comes up very close behind me.

This happened last week when I was on a borrowed bandit. I pushed the centre stand down onto the road with my heel and covered him with a shower of glowing sparks - he soon backed off.

Without Visordown we are as shakey as .... as a fiddler ... on the roof!
19/10/2007 at 10:01
Storm29 wrote
I believe if you are deliberately undertaking to get ahead of traffic then yes it is illegal

Why else would I do it? You think I want to be in a huge queue of traffic all 20 feet from each others bumpers at 65mph? Or be in a lane to myself at [s]90mph[/s] slightly faster?
19/10/2007 at 10:05
The Slow lane is the new Fast lane, darhling.

Least, it is for me
19/10/2007 at 10:07
choc-ice wrote
Why else would I do it? You think I want to be in a huge queue of traffic all 20 feet from each others bumpers at 65mph? Or be in a lane to myself at [s]90mph[/s] slightly faster?

you know what i meant?? if you are ducking and diving and lane changing constantly then a copper would probably nick you (bastards) but you can do it subtly (sp?) can't you.......

i do it all the time by the way
19/10/2007 at 10:13
I do it in the car too.

The pictures used in this signature are copyrighted and NO WAY am I granting free use to TWO of these nor any of my stuff.

Thank you for spoiling Visordown. Bring back the INDEPENDENT vBulletin boards.

19/10/2007 at 10:16
Winds me up something terrible when you get all the 'tards sitting in the outside lane at 60, when the inside lane is moving freely at 70. I always go on the inside if that's the case, and fuck the lot of 'em. Mind, some of them get really upset and won't let you out when you finally catch whatever it is they're waiting to overtake.

I wish people would learn to overtake and then pull back in- rather than stay there for about a mile until they reach the next slow moving vehicle. Then there's always the pillock that sits in the middle lane on a motorway, who gets very indignant about being overtaken on both sides.

So far as I know it isn't illegal - I'm going at the speed limit - it's not my fault all the sheep in the outside lane get upset about it - wankers!
19/10/2007 at 10:27
what winds me up is..................... that is no fast lane. it's the outside OVERTAKING lane. end of. anyone found there, or the other overtaking lane, with nothing being overtaken should get 3 points for dwdc imho, rather than chasing wvm for having a smoke or barry beemer for 10 over the limit. grrrrrrrrr

use Electrex for all your electrical woes, top people
i'm sorry, you have mistaken me for someone who gives a shit
19/10/2007 at 10:33
Silent Mammary wrote
what winds me up is..................... that is no fast lane. it's the outside OVERTAKING lane. end of. anyone found there, or the other overtaking lane, with nothing being overtaken should get 3 points for dwdc imho, rather than chasing wvm for having a smoke or barry beemer for 10 over the limit. grrrrrrrrr

Here here.

The standard of driving in this country is shockingly bad. Drive down the a13 of a weekend and see how many immigrants you spot driving in the outside lane. Its not there fault they dont have motorways in india and they are allowed to drive on our roads without sitting a uk test or have an training, they know no better.

Undertaking aggressivly and pulling back out infront of them should be made legal and compulsory.

Spackhead #45

http://www.mtracing.co.uk/brands/J2a.jpg 

19/10/2007 at 10:34
Passing a vehicle in the inside lane is not specifically illegal, as has been said already. I believe that there is no longer an offence (if there ever was one) of undertaking, or passing on the inside. But a pass could be considered an offence if it was viewed as being carried out in a dangerous manner.

I have a view that if people didn't want you to pass on the inside then they wouldn't leave a bloody great space there for you to do it in.

In my experience it's more common to piss people off when you do it in the car. On the bike it seems to be generally accepted. But then I don't normally hang about to see a reaction TBH.

"This vehicle has remarkable power and should be used gradually and with maximum caution." - Aprilia
19/10/2007 at 10:36
JamesZX-6R wrote
Here here.

The standard of driving in this country is shockingly bad. Drive down the a13 of a weekend and see how many immigrants you spot driving in the outside lane. Its not there fault they dont have motorways in india and they are allowed to drive on our roads without sitting a uk test or have an training, they know no better.

Undertaking aggressivly and pulling back out infront of them should be made legal and compulsory.

have they all got bumper stickers declaring their residency status? Or do you mean all the non-whiteys?

"Its all gone quiet," said Roobarb.
"Too quiet," said Custard
"Quick, lets eat it before it gets cold"

TiT#162A

RIDES WITHOUT MIRRORS SLIDES UNDER JUGGERNAUTS
CORNERS LIKE A PENGUIN

VDsmugbride#2
19/10/2007 at 10:36
JamesZX-6R wrote
Here here.

Stinky bait, nobody can be stupid enough to believe this is an immigration issue
19/10/2007 at 11:25
Atomic Punk wrote
Undertaking is not illegal as long as you haven't changed lanes to do so and you are not exceeding the speed limit.

With one addition. Your relative speed must not be more than 10 (I think, or maybe 15) mph greater than the vehicle you are passing.

This, in itself, is a good thing, because, in car or on a bike, you have to crawl passed them looking in through their passenger window increduously (You have to use your eyes a little more on the bike though, wearing a helmet. But, in those circumstances, it's better just to make wanker gestures with a free hand )
19/10/2007 at 11:44
Popeye wrote
This, in itself, is a good thing, because, in car or on a bike, you have to crawl passed them looking in through their passenger window increduously (You have to use your eyes a little more on the bike though, wearing a helmet. But, in those circumstances, it's better just to make wanker gestures with a free hand )

I've tried both options many times. They simply don't notice you are there. I was going to say a lot of peeple notice so little on the roads they may as well be wearing blinkers, but truthfully they might as well be wearing blindfolds

"There are certain fixed rules that one observes for one's own comfort. For instance, never be flippantly rude to any inoffensive, grey-bearded stranger you may meet in pine forests or hotel smoking-rooms on the Continent. It always turns out to be the King of Sweden"

H.H.Munro

VDSC#16
1 to 20 of 60 messages