The Football thread.

141 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Football thread.

Don't think we've had this before.

Who supports who?

Me: Charlton.

If you don't like football simply read another thread rather than post up a load of moaning about this one.

Me: Chelsea (since 1970)oh and btw, were going to win the league

good luck with the thread, i'll join in.Spurs

AAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrsenal

Docca wrote

Spurs

he said FOOTBALL!!!

Me the mighty Sky Blue Army- Coventry City(Iwas born there for my sins) The new stadium is going to look great with 8,000 people crammed into a 30 thousand seater stadium Because CCFC are so rubbish these days I also have a mighty second team- Torquay United, from my days of living in sunny Paignton, and Friday evenings standing on the terrace (singular) with 1200 others

based on last night, i support a bunch of teenage kids with less ability than a box of meat and potato pies

GLASGOW CELTICAre the best team on the planet.....Lowwww lieee the fields of anthenry.....

Citeh ... a massive club, if there ever was one .....

Come on you IRONS.. :burnout:

Palace.And before you all start...yes, yes, I know... But at least it's my local team. Been supporting them since I was a nipper (had a season ticket during the glory days of Wright and Bright up front as well)

Gods own teamWhy Super Spurs of course

Trace wrote

Palace.And before you all start...yes, yes, I know... But at least it's my local team. Been supporting them since I was a nipper (had a season ticket during the glory days of Wright and Bright up front as well)

Palace had glory days????? When FFS?

I_duddits wrote

Comparatively speaking, of course.

Trace wrote

Palace.(the glory days of Wright and Bright up front as well)

Glory days??! what in the conference league? To be honest I always thought Crystal Palace was in Birmingham...think I got it confused with Aston Villa...Can someone explain how the hell those teams got those names?

weeksy wrote

based on last night, i support a bunch of teenage kids with less ability than a box of meat and potato pies

Snigger, snigger....

Lufra_Paul wrote

Glory days??! what in the conference league? To be honest I always thought Crystal Palace was in Birmingham...think I got it confused with Aston Villa...Can someone explain how the hell those teams got those names?

Funnily enough, Palace was set up in 1905 with the help of Aston Villa's assistant secretary, E.F.Goodman. He provided some Villa kit in claret and blue and we played in some combination of that right through to the 70's.

Lufra_Paul wrote

Can someone explain how the hell those teams got those names?

no, lets talk about chelsea.6 wins on the trot without conceding a goal. i like it very much. only about 2 players in the squad over 30. i like it very much.as was sung to defoe, "youre not good enough to play for us, but we'll buy you anyway"

Burnley.......................

I`m a season ticket holder at West Brom - so I`m not one of your glory hunting prawn sandwich brigade ! seen them through thick & thin (but mostly thin tbh)mind you I couldn`t switch my allegiance to ANY other teamhaving said that I also follow my local team Tamworth who are in the Conference (it was like a dream come true when they signed former Albion hero Super Bob Taylor - he`s still banging them in !)

Lufra_Paul wrote

Can someone explain how the hell those teams got those names?

Palace take their name from The Crystal Palace, which burned down in the 1930s.Aston is a district of Brum, don't know about the Villa bit there are some other strange names in British footy - argyle, albion, academicals. Best to shove it in that category!!Back to the thread - I support City Hull.

Atlas wrote

no, lets talk about chelsea.

No lets talk about the 1967 Celtic team that was the first brittish team to win the Europeon cup. The Lisbon Lions11 Glaswegians, and not an eastern europeon in sight

Brommo wrote

(it was like a dream come true when they signed former Albion hero Super Bob Taylor - he`s still banging them in !)

Is he a carpenter?

the Tigers (and the Reds).Oh, you meant Association Football......... Girl's game that ! Any fool can play with a round ball.

Lufra_Paul wrote

11 Glaswegians, and not an eastern europeon in sight

fair point and something to be proud of. but at the moment celtic are pants. i honestly believe they would struggle in the premiership. sutton and hartson ffs!

You're only here for the Palace!The famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the PopeThe famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the PopeThe famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the PopeAnd this is what he said: "Fuck off!"Who's that team we call the Palace?Who's that team we all adore?We're the boys in red'n'blueWho the fucking hell are you?And Ron Noades' mother is a whore....WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!

missp wrote

You're only here for the Palace!The famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the PopeThe famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the PopeThe famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the PopeAnd this is what he said: "Fuck off!"Who's that team we call the Palace?Who's that team we all adore?We're the boys in red'n'blueWho the fucking hell are you?And Ron Noades' mother is a whore....WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!

Well, with typical terrace oafishness I logged in as my wife, to whom I apologise for the above profanity!

Atlas wrote

at the moment celtic are pants. i honestly believe they would struggle in the premiership. sutton and hartson ffs!

celtic are a great team right, did you not see them get a draw at the barcelona? First team to break Barca's all win home record this season in any competition...Though I think for the first season in the preimership they would get to just below the top league, ie, 5-6th, then with the 30 million odd TV money they would be right up their next season. Though it will never happenSome people don't realise non of the scottish teams get all the bucket loads of money!!!

Mighty Boro The only succesful team in the North East

The Royals, vanquishers of the mighty Swansea in the 3rd round of the cup.Sadly they can't score goals since the centre forward did his knee and have consequently rather lost touch with the automatic promotion spots. Looks like the Premiership snobs may have to wait another year to witness the super hoops.

Now here's a good thread...

Nobody.. football is shite.Leeds United

I_duddits wrote

Glory by our standards as in we did not just go straight back down as per usual and drew 3-3 with Manure in the FA cup final unlike the thrashing Millwall got last year. Atlas in talking out of his hoop about the hoops shocker

Danny_Two wrote

Don't think we've had this before.Who supports who?Me: Charlton.If you don't like football simply read another thread rather than post up a load of moaning about this one.

Danny, I'm with you .. season ticket in the North Stand but work stops me going a lot .... C Block right behind Deanos right hand post ...."Valley Floyd Road ... the miiiiist rollin in from the Thames .......... etc etc etc ..."

Lufra_Paul wrote

No lets talk about the 1967 Celtic team that was the first brittish team to win the Europeon cup. The Lisbon Lions11 Glaswegians, and not an eastern europeon in sight

Almost true, one of the players was from Lanarkshire I believe? But a great team none the less. And now? There are probably more Glaswegians playing regularly for Dundee or Aberdeen than either Celtic or Rangers. This isn't a pop a these teams (by the way ), just an observation about the state of football in general.

Merv24 wrote

Glory by our standards as in we did not just go straight back down as per usual and drew 3-3 with Manure in the FA cup final unlike the thrashing Millwall got last year. Atlas in talking out of his hoop about the hoops shocker

From the official CPFC website:"In 1981 Ron Noades took over at the helm of the club amidst mounting debts and dwindling local support. Following his appointment of Steve Coppell (Stevie, Stevie Coppell) as Manager in 1984 the following 7 years witnessed the re-establishment of Crystal Palace as one of the major legaue clubs. Working closely together Ron and Steve gradually built up their playing staff whilst at the same time putting Palace on a sound financial footing, for several seasons they improved their 2nd division rating and in 1989 were triumphant over Blackburn Rovers at Selhurst Park in the final play-off match to regain a place in the first division.The following season was to bring about some high and low points of Palace history. A 9-0 defeat against Liverpool at Anfield was the low whilst the high was when, against all odds, Palace beat Liverpool in an FA Cup semi-final at Villa Park 4-3. They went on to meet Man United in that season's final at wembley stadium and were minutes from winning, the game will always be remembered for Ian Wright's (Ian Wright, Wright, Wright) two goals after a long absence from the first team after twice suffering a broken leg. The replay was somewhat of an anti-climax but the season had certainly put Palace back on the footballing map True. I went to both and the second was a huge let down 1990-91 was to be the most successful season to date for CPFC, not only finishing third in the top flight, but Coppell also took his team back to Wembley. This time they left as winners, beating Everton to take the ZDS cup.The next campaign was not to be so happy as they lost John Salako for the majority of the season with a cruciate knee injury, but they achieved the league double over Liverpool and finished in the top half of the table"There endeth the (sustained) glory days

weeksy wrote

But that was a quality own goal - best I've seen in ages.Spurs for me alsoSO ARSEnal - Atomic PunkBurnley - GSXR-IANCeltic - Lufra paulCharlton - Danny Two, DibbleChelsea - AtlasCoventry - BonnersCrystal palace - TraceLeeds - LeeLiverpool - WeeksyMiddlesborough - El toroSpurs - I Duddets, Docca, Byker28iWest Brom - Brommohave I missed any?

byker28i wrote

have I missed any?

Yes!!ARSEnal - Atomic PunkBurnley - GSXR-IANCeltic - Lufra paulCharlton - Danny Two, DibbleChelsea - AtlasCoventry - BonnersCrystal palace - Trace, Merv, Jacko, Jacko's missus Leeds - LeeLiverpool - WeeksyMiddlesborough - El toroSpurs - I Duddits, Docca, Byker28iWest Brom - Brommo

mr tack wrote

You are a weegieA smelly weegieYou're only happy on giro dayYour mum's a stealerYour dad's a dealerPlease don't take my hubcaps away

LMAO, come here bawheed, Am gonae gee you a malkie

manchester united

beep wrote

Almost true, one of the players was from Lanarkshire I believe?.

Yup, correct! (thats about 13 miles away from Celtic stadium for the barbarians)

beep wrote

And now? There are probably more Glaswegians playing regularly for Dundee or Aberdeen than either Celtic or Rangers. This isn't a pop a these teams (by the way ), just an observation about the state of football in general.

Yup, I think they should bring back the three foreigners rule we used to have (not sure about the anglo-saxon league)It would be crap for a couple of season (though entertaining) before the clubs realised they had to invest heavily in the youth

Wookie wrote

manchester united

Yes, you will fucking whisper it, you manc scum!!!!

Lufra_Paul wrote

celtic are a great team right, did you not see them get a draw at the barcelona? First team to break Barca's all win home record this season in any competition...Though I think for the first season in the preimership they would get to just below the top league, ie, 5-6th, then with the 30 million odd TV money they would be right up their next season. Though it will never happenSome people don't realise non of the scottish teams get all the bucket loads of money!!!

i was under the impression that celtic and rangers had bucket loads of money anyway. i think you are kidding yourself about top 6 finish...as for barca, they had already won the group. same way as chelsea were beaten by porto in the last game, because the game meant nothing to chelsea. sorry dude, reality check time.

weren't CPFC's glory days under Mark Goldberg and Terry Venables .... thats when they were a proper minted glamour club ... IMHO

Trace wrote

The following season was to bring about some high and low points of Palace history. A 9-0 defeat against Liverpool at Anfield was the low whilst the high was when, against all odds,

that was funny, we were evven booing our own players at the end for not scoring the 10th....ahhhh days standing on the Kop.... will never ever forget them.

The Toonand anybody playing the mackems

Dibble wrote

Danny, I'm with you .. season ticket in the North Stand but work stops me going a lot .... C Block right behind Deanos right hand post ...."Valley Floyd Road ... the miiiiist rollin in from the Thames .......... etc etc etc ..."

Nice one.

Atlas]i was under the impression that celtic and rangers had bucket loads of money anyway..[/QUOTE]Nope, Celtic are a PLC and are run as such...they have about £10 million debt right now....Rangers were in about £60 million debt, but I think they have managed to get most that back just recenlty some how...most of their board are made up of gangsters so I don't want to know how... Smelly huns

Atlas wrote

i think you are kidding yourself about top 6 finish....

Nope. Your just having delsions of grandeur about your little premier league. Celtic has 50,000 season tickets, with about half of that again on the list FOR season tickets. Build another tier on the main stand and paradise has a full 2 tier stadium with 80,000 seats. Hello premiership title.

as for barca, they had already won the group. same way as chelsea were beaten by porto in the last game, because the game meant nothing to chelsea. sorry dude, reality check time.

And no again. They fielded an almost full strength team with ronaldo etc playing. Also add Liverpool, Juventus, Valencia (2 seasons ago), AC Milan to that scalp list, not to mention the unbeaten europeon home run in 2 champions league runs + UEFA cup run until barcalena came along

Derby County, although it's fookin depressing going to see them at home... ... although not as depressing as the previous few seasons Rangers definitely, and Celtic to a lesser extent, are in deep financial trouble. Spent too much to accumulate very little except sharing the spoils of the victory that is the SPL. The current state of the Scotch national team is being laid very firmly at the doors of Parkhead and Ibrox cos of their previous fascination with foreign players. As I understand it Alright, maybe not Celtic re the finances situation and I think Rangers have had another share issue haven't they. Doesn't change the fact they fcuked up quite badly in the first place IMHO. Don't get me wrong, much like a number of English clubs...<cough> LEEDS

Atlas wrote

i was under the impression that celtic and rangers had bucket loads of money anyway.

compared to every other team in Scotland, yes. Compared to the lower 2/3rds of the premier league in England, yes.However, in order to sign a couple of world class players they need the TV money that the top English teams get. Then they will be more consistently competitive in Europe.

i think you are kidding yourself about top 6 finish...

I think you are forgetting the recent record both Rangers and Celtic have had against English Premiership teams when playing them in Europe.I do think Celtic and Rangers would struggle for a season or two while they spent their new found wealth on better players and got used to the style of play in England. But after 2 years I'd easily see a top 6 finish.P.S. Celtic supporter me. Add that to the list.

Baby Jesus was born here!!! Fuck off you Arsenal scum!!!

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month