Steep driveway - surfacing suggestions

19 messages
24/10/2006 at 13:45
Bought a house recently with a pretty steep driveway leading down to the garage. The drive comprises of two strips of concrete with a grass middle section and the concrete has had 1cm deep strips cut out of it in the past (I'm guessing to aid grip). The concete aggregate (10-20mm) is at the surface in places, creating a nice polished finish in the wet which caused a nice anus-clenching moment in last night's torrential rain It's also pretty dodgy to get out of to be honest.

Is there anything I can surface the driveway with to improve things for the coming winter months? Not sure I fancy sliding to the bottom on my arse
24/10/2006 at 13:48
if its that steep and weather that bad, better off parking somwhere else tbh I would think

** good/cheap webhost **
                                          contract/permie IT Staff
VD-SCAB#69 * YU#38 * FRM#10 * SG#13
"loon wot hoons" - by FurryBox
"A intellegent geezer who is scary because he's a quiet crazy man!" -by Carlito
Mr Tack :burnout:
donate [u]here[/u]
24/10/2006 at 13:52
Lob Rockster wrote
steps?

Wot about 'em?
24/10/2006 at 13:54
Coarse brushed concrete finish, or cut strips is what I'd have suggested? Looks like they've tried that though?

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/4;10714;109/st/20081225/e/Christmas+Day%21/dt/5/k/3241/event.png

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Taipan.png

24/10/2006 at 14:07
Options are to surface dress or re-lay.

Without seein it, it becomes a bit difficult to give a precise recommendation.

The easiest thing will be to roughen the surfce with motor saw, this is probably what was used to produce the cuts you describe.

If that doesn't work you might get away with a bitumen coat or use a resurfacer such as ARDEX

Finally take it up and re-lay.
24/10/2006 at 14:14
Shell Grip? anti slip paint?

http://www.visordown.com/members/images/147044/Signature_15905.jpg

EMRA 1300 ROADSTOCK CHAMPION 2008

EMRA 1300 roadstock class runner up 2007moke:

EMRA Roadstocks #167

If Wankers could fly this place would be an Airport

24/10/2006 at 15:22
leatherboy wrote
Options are to surface dress or re-lay.

Without seein it, it becomes a bit difficult to give a precise recommendation.

The easiest thing will be to roughen the surfce with motor saw, this is probably what was used to produce the cuts you describe.

If that doesn't work you might get away with a bitumen coat or use a resurfacer such as ARDEX

Finally take it up and re-lay.

I'm not sure roughing it up would work tbh, the surface is a bit broken up and the stones are showing through already.
As for bitumen, can they lay it on steep drives?
24/10/2006 at 15:39
Done jobs like this before... heres what to do.

Rip it all up. get a base of type 1 down of 8 inches deep, compact it.

Get a huge ass cement mixer from HSS (£50 per day).

Mix, parts sand, 2 parts pea gravel (orwhatever gravel you want), and 2 part cement as a wet mix (not too wet as it will run).

slap it down and screed it, so its around 4 inches thick.

Once screeded and before it sets, go round it all with a float to smooth it off.

----------------------

Let to dry for 3 days.

----------------------

Get some concorete retarder and spray it on, let the retarder work for one day, and with your pressure washer blast the top layer (1cm will only come off) and wash it down with a hose.

What you will be left with is basicaly a concorete driveway with loads and loads of little stones poking out of the surface which are fixed, very grippy!

25/10/2006 at 08:48
up for more suggestions...

25/10/2006 at 08:57
Try fixing a strip of expanded mesh to the concrete. You know, the stuff thats stamped out of a sheet of flat steel with diamond shaped holes. Put it with the sharp edges of the holes facing up hill.
I've seen it used on the wooden decks and ramps of low loaders so it stands up to being run over by plant and steam rollers. It would probably have a cheese grater effect if you ever did fall over on it though.

Graham www.aecmilitant.co.uk
www.orrp.com Warning. Contains strong language, sexual references, cartoon violence and Land Rovers.
25/10/2006 at 09:01
MilitantGraham wrote
. It would probably have a cheese grater effect if you ever did fall over on it though.

Simmilar to my suggestion, you get a nasty cut if you fall, but its good for a steep driveway.

How steep is the drive anyroads?

25/10/2006 at 09:10
Well the driveway rises about 6-7 feet (total) from the garage floor level, although the gradient is most severe nearest the road with a nasty 'hump' near the top thats obviously caught a car's undercarriage before...

Not sure I like the idea of putting metal down, what about when it's wet?
25/10/2006 at 09:16
This is the stuff.

The way it's formed leaves the sharp edges facing in one direction. Shouldn't make any difference if it's wet or dry

Graham www.aecmilitant.co.uk
www.orrp.com Warning. Contains strong language, sexual references, cartoon violence and Land Rovers.
25/10/2006 at 09:30
ok it rises around 6-7ft and over what distance?

25/10/2006 at 10:01
A Can of Tennants wrote
ok it rises around 6-7ft and over what distance?

20' max. Probably less to be honest

Maybe I could use the mesh thingy in the strip down the middle (currently grass) Any idea how it's fitted?
25/10/2006 at 10:59
so its a 1 in 3 climb.

Man thats steep!

25/10/2006 at 11:06
what most people do is use a 20mm DBM basecourse to Cl 6.5 of BS 4987 - its usually used under the surface course but provides greater skid resistance than the surface course - you will need a hardstsone aggregate to avoid polishing in the future.
25/10/2006 at 11:55
supermotoman69 wrote
what most people do is use a 20mm DBM basecourse to Cl 6.5 of BS 4987 - its usually used under the surface course but provides greater skid resistance than the surface course - you will need a hardstsone aggregate to avoid polishing in the future.

say again? Wtf is DBM?
25/10/2006 at 12:04
kris_gb20 wrote
say again? Wtf is DBM?

Dense bituminous macadam - 20mm basecourse - tarmac with 20mm aggregate - available from your local coating plant!

try::
www.tarmac.co.uk/
Your say
email image
19 messages