Secondhand cars - why don't dealers prepare them before they go up for sale?

1 to 20 of 33 messages
11/08/2007 at 18:59
Been looking to get another Jaguar.
Was looking for a V8 Sovereign but could we find one that was presented nicely...could we by buggery.

We got totally fed up looking at shoddily prepared s/h cars in Jag dealers...do these guys not want to sell them?

I don't know what it is but to a man these dealers simply do nothing to make the car attractive to punters.

We've seen cars that are knackered, stink of cigarette smoke (and I mean seriously rank!), have filthy upholstery, wheels that look like they've been attacked with a hammer & chisel and even have gouges out of the paintwork.

So got utterly fed up ad went and got a good deal on a 57 reg Merc E class diseasel and take delivery 1st Sept all being well.

Anyway, why do the delaers not prep s/h cars before they go on sale, anyone know?
Seems basic business sense to me for crying out lahd!
11/08/2007 at 19:00
Why are you even considering a "used" car?

Tsk

Pointing out brainless, deficient, dense, dim, dumb, foolish, gullible, half-baked, half-witted, idiotic, imbecilic, inane, indiscreet, irrelevant, irresponsible, laughable, loser, ludicrous, mindless, moronic, nonsensical, obtuse, pointless, puerile, senseless, short-sighted, simple-minded, thick, trivial, unintelligent, unthinking, witless VD members who lack conduct, conscience, decency, ethics, honesty, honour, integrity, morals principles and boast double standards - wherever they are

11/08/2007 at 19:00
£££££££££££££££££££££££

Yawn! It's wearing a little thin now, don't you think?

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.

Launchcast Cradley_Kawasaki

onli mrns Us txt spk
11/08/2007 at 19:02
moth wrote
£££££££££££££££££££££££

Do you work for our local £ shop?
11/08/2007 at 19:03
moth wrote
£££££££££££££££££££££££

Thing is, I have gone & bought an entirely different brand because of it.
I can't see how it's a good way to behave, I really can't mate.
11/08/2007 at 19:05
Big Nige wrote
Do you work for our local £ shop?

Wide boys with wads of cash tend to ignore the details when buying a motor for the little woman innit?

The Ferraris around here that have had their wheels kerbed. Disgusting

onli mrns Us txt spk
11/08/2007 at 19:06
Heres some reasons.

1. Lubricants and oils etc will need to be replaced sooner if vehicle is not used

2. Sometimes dealers will swap stock with another dealer if they can't move it.

3. A lot of the time they get cars in ' lot's ' so they don't want to try and get a load of cars ready at once.

But yes the car should be in totally clean condition, and be presentible, if they are as bad to look at as you say the dealer may as well have a sign up saying " I'm an asshole don't buy from me, screw you ".

11/08/2007 at 19:07
In the trade, displaying expensive cars in their pre-valet dirty condition is a way of saying to the world at large, "look, these people may have wealth and opulence, but still they're as filthy as the lowest council estate dwelling chav-scum."

Dirt - the great leveller.

They call me MISTER Tibbs
11/08/2007 at 19:10
Mr Tibbs wrote
In the trade, displaying expensive cars in their pre-valet dirty condition is a way of saying to the world at large, "look, these people may have wealth and opulence, but still they're as filthy as the lowest council estate dwelling chav-scum."

Dirt - the great leveller.

Oi, get yer own ferking cliche, you arriviste

moth wrote
Wide boys with wads of cash tend to ignore the details when buying a motor for the little woman innit?

The Ferraris around here that have had their wheels kerbed. Disgusting

onli mrns Us txt spk
11/08/2007 at 19:12
I'm glad I rose above the dirt.

Mind you I do own a Vauxhall
11/08/2007 at 19:21
moth wrote
Oi, get yer own ferking cliche, you arriviste

May I suggest a cliché time share.

I'll supply copious cups of sedative-laden coffee to you whilst espousing, for fifteen hours, the benfits of sharing said cliche until you finally crack, agree to give me a down payment of £10,000, plus £2000 each year for the next twenty years.

Whaddya say?

They call me MISTER Tibbs
12/08/2007 at 09:28
Obviously so punters will get fed up and spend a ridiculous amount on a 57 reg Merc E class diseasel instead.

Duh.

www.definitivedesigns.co.uk - Canvas printing to order

Lurker Extraordinaire
Bajaj? We don't need no stinkin bajaj...

...:smoke:
12/08/2007 at 09:34
How could any self-respecting biker be seen dead in one of these things? Pomposity on wheels.

diceman wrote
Obviously so punters will get fed up and spend a ridiculous amount on a 57 reg Merc E class diseasel instead.

Duh.
12/08/2007 at 09:36
Because it'll cost £xxx to properly prepare a car before sale, this is basically dead money until the car is sold so it makes sense for the dealer not to spend it until he knows the car is sold.

On a balance sheet it would be in the 'outgoing' column, which everyone is keen to minimise, especially if they don't know how long it'll be there for.

As said above, if there's some swapping of cars between dealers then it just cuts down on the profit too.
12/08/2007 at 10:22
c_mb2006 wrote
Pomposity on wheels.

Big Nidge = Pomposity on wheels.

I like that.

choc-ice wrote
Because it'll cost £xxx to properly prepare a car before sale, this is basically dead money until the car is sold so it makes sense for the dealer not to spend it until he knows the car is sold.

Odd way to go about selling cars IMO,

You're way more likely to sell a car if it's cleaned up and prepared nicely.
12/08/2007 at 10:30
should have gone for a pre90 jaguar then kitted it out with a happy bag and a set of nostrils in the boot just to be authentique like