Sat Nav for bike - recommendations?

8 messages
08/12/2007 at 19:34
I'm looking at getting a sat nav for the bike and wondered if any of you had any experiences/recommendations with them that you would like to share?

Essentials are:
Maps of UK & Western Europe.
Updatable maps.
Easy to see and use on bike.
Bluetooth earpiece available (comfort when worn under helmet a factor).
Speed camera notification.

Nice to haves:
Integrated MP3 player.
Stereo bluetooth + headset.

Any suggestions?

Ta.
08/12/2007 at 19:38
I'm using a Garmin Zumo right now and it is excellent.
It has the features you're looking for:
Bluetooth (the Zumo has bluetooth so head phones are up to you - I use an Autocom system which is perfect all the way up to about 125mph)
European Cover
MP3 player built in.
Voice etc.
You can load all sorts of 'points of interest' including regularly updated camera positions (including the mobile units)

I find it easy to use and has proven easy to install on several bikes: I use RAM Mounts.
08/12/2007 at 20:18
I'm tempted by this at the moment. Could do with knowing a bit more about them myself though so not sure at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370000998674&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=024
08/12/2007 at 21:50

I can't think of anything to put here.

08/12/2007 at 22:29
I had a look at and play with a Zumo at the NEC the other week. Looked very easy to use on the bike - big, clear unit, big buttons etc. The 3D-style maps looked pretty clear, albeit a bit Noddy-in-Toyland-ish. I've got a Quest and don't plan to change it for a while, but if and when I do I'll look into it more closely.

It's a motorcycle, Jim, but not as we know it
TIT#212AA
08/12/2007 at 22:42
Either the Zumo or the Tom Tom Rider, I've heard of a few problems with the TomTom locking up, but never suffered it myself, with the ones I have heard of where a cure has been found it's been removing non TomTom speed camera databases.

Not sure if the Zumo comes with an earpiece, PM Abel, he's got one and loves it.

The TomTom definitely has an ear piece, they supply the Scala Rider with the unit.

There's a decent thread over in Touring, it'll be on the first page as things move a bit slowly over there this time of year

Murphy's 6th Law 'if every thing appears to be going fine, you missed something'

One day my fingers will type the letters teh in the correct order..... one day.....

Want a holiday in France?

TiT #38D
Pax
08/12/2007 at 22:48
Make sure it's not the one with the dodgy mount that snaps off on the motorway and chucks your expensive piece of kit down the road

(I dunno what one it is, btw)

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" Where can I get fud?
Where can I sign up as an organ grinder?

08/12/2007 at 23:32
I've got the Garmin Zumo use it in the car as well, you can buy an incar mount for it too.
The Tom Tom rider is being replaced by the rider II as the original one was pants and recalled according to Halfords when I bought mine, I went in for the Tom Tom and was told not to bother, I'm not sure if the rider II is out yet but I'd recommend the Garmin Zumo for sure

'Don't take life seriously, no one gets out alive!'

'Life is sexually transmitted......'

'Bi-sexuality doubles your chances of a date!'

VD - NCC ; 011

VDUC # 01 (Founder Member)

TIT # 241C

Girlie T.W.A.T#4
Your say
email image
8 messages