road tax runs out today - any leeway?

15 messages
28/02/2006 at 10:29
as title says, road tax runs out today but I need to get an MOT first and that won't happen until Friday as I'm too busy. Should have done this earlier I know but there you go.

Will it be okay to tax it at the weekend or will I get slapped a naughty-boy fine?
28/02/2006 at 10:33
I think you are ok as long as you get it before the end of march as they will take that month in to account anyway.
28/02/2006 at 10:38
Rather than get fifty different answers from us, why not ask the experts?

www.dvla.gov.uk/contact/dvla_contact.htm

HTH

Dreaming of life in a modern secular democracy. If you find one, please let me know. Apart from France, that is, because it's full of cheese
K_D
28/02/2006 at 10:40
used to be an unnoficial 2 week leeway.............untill DVLA seriously got thier shit together and now peeps can have ...........and i shit you not.........a service where eaven in the wilds of scottieland i can order a tax disc online ...........and get it 2 days later in the post............

now theres no leeway .........AND .....the DVLA .....WILL ....know that you havent paid your taxdisc at 00:00:01 hrs on 1st march

AND that you havent SORN'd

a computer generated fine will wing its merry efficient way just to you .......

big brother is not only watching , he is squaring away his excrement

There are no stupid questions...only stupid people
28/02/2006 at 10:40
They will bum you as soon as they can !!! Why not just go and get some tax or sorn it off the road >>

Time is the fire in which we all burn. It is a predator that stalks us all our lives.
K_D
28/02/2006 at 10:41
The new rules mean that keepers who fail to re-license their vehicle (or declare SORN) will incur an automatic penalty of £80 (reduced to £40 if paid within 28 days). Those who ignore the penalty could receive a County Court Judgement against them, could be stopped by the police, and/or have their vehicles clamped. Determined offenders will be faced with prosecution and could be fined a minimum £1000.

DVLA carries out a computer check each month to identify those vehicles without a valid tax disc. Although the new rules mean that it is no longer necessary for the vehicle to be seen on a public road before a penalty is issued current on-road enforcement will continue.

There are no stupid questions...only stupid people
28/02/2006 at 10:44
as Dingbat said , check it out....but, there IS some leeway. I'd say you're good for at least a couple of weeks.
( did that for my car this year anyway )

Year before last, I actually rang them up ( couldn't find my MOT certificate or something ) , they were cool, told me how long I actually had got and put me straight.

Sometimes you gotta lose yourself to find anything
28/02/2006 at 10:47
Another thought...

If you need to get the bike MOT'd, does that mean it has a current MOT, or has that ran out as well?

If it does have a current MOT, then that should be sufficient to renew your tax now.

Dreaming of life in a modern secular democracy. If you find one, please let me know. Apart from France, that is, because it's full of cheese
28/02/2006 at 10:57
They're not as bad as they claim to be! As long as you backdate it so there's no break it'll be fine - only a problem if you try to leave a gap with no tax / SORN. Usually takes them a while to get round to fining you.

28/02/2006 at 11:05
I'm fairly certain I've never managed to get a renewal for either car or bike done by the day it expired. I try to be a bit better these days but it's still usually a few days or a week before I manage. Long as you put the right date in it's all paid anyway and they won't have had time to fine you...

Not like the old days when you could accidentally 'lose' a month somewhere..
28/02/2006 at 11:42
just rang them.

you've got 14 days to get it taxed (and you can't ride it)
28/02/2006 at 12:53
mad dog 2 wrote
just rang them.

DVLA in being helpful scandal

Well figured it was time to get rid of the red cross.
28/02/2006 at 12:55
i would sorn it anyhow in the meantime , its simple enough to get tax if/when the bike has passed its mot
28/02/2006 at 12:56
mad dog 2 wrote

(and you can't ride it)

oh no, that would be naughty...

Sometimes you gotta lose yourself to find anything
28/02/2006 at 13:18
mad dog 2 wrote
just rang them.

shows how much truth* can fly around on VD

*bullshit

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;417/st/20100529/e/isle+of+man+TT/dt/6/k/b8a2/event.png
Your say
email image
15 messages