Replacing drives

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Replacing drives

How simple is it to replace the existing drive(dvd reader) with a new one (DVD re-writer) ?
Will the existing one be attached by standard plugs or am I looking at soldering something?
I'm reasonably competent with fixing and constructing things but dont understand electronics and am rubbish at soldering

easy, standard plugs.

Just unplug old one then plug in new one. Power cable and IDE cable (and sound cable if necessary).

Check the jumpers, a per the leaflet in the box, you might need to set it to 'slave'.I had to on the one I just fitted anyway

if you're lucky (well, not especially so) you can add your new writer in rather than replace. Then you can copy from one to the other as your heart desires. GF's 7 year old compaq had the correct wiring.

Thanks everyoneSorry if this sounds like an idiot question, would I be better off replacing the cd drive instead of the dvd one? nothing wrong with either I just want to be able to burn DVD's as I have a lot of data on this machine

Monstyr wrote

...would I be better off replacing the cd drive instead of the dvd one? nothing wrong with either I just want to be able to burn DVD's as I have a lot of data on this machine

Yes.Your DVD ROM drive should be able to read CDs as well as DVDs so you can happily get rid of the CD drive. Just check the one you take out to see whether it's set to MASTER or SLAVE and set the replacement the same . You can have one or two drives on an IDE channel. If there's just one has to be MASTER. If there are two, one has to be MASTER the other has to be SLAVE. It doesn't matter which is which as long as they aren't both set the same.

Follow Visordown

Top News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month