Replacing drives

7 messages
26/04/2007 at 12:21
How simple is it to replace the existing drive(dvd reader) with a new one (DVD re-writer) ?
Will the existing one be attached by standard plugs or am I looking at soldering something?
I'm reasonably competent with fixing and constructing things but dont understand electronics and am rubbish at soldering
26/04/2007 at 12:27
easy, standard plugs.

fazyluckers - creative procrastination & general generalishness
JM1
26/04/2007 at 12:29
Just unplug old one then plug in new one. Power cable and IDE cable (and sound cable if necessary).
26/04/2007 at 12:42
Check the jumpers, a per the leaflet in the box, you might need to set it to 'slave'.

I had to on the one I just fitted anyway

Murphy's 6th Law 'if every thing appears to be going fine, you missed something'

One day my fingers will type the letters teh in the correct order..... one day.....

Want a holiday in France?

TiT #38D
26/04/2007 at 16:33
if you're lucky (well, not especially so) you can add your new writer in rather than replace. Then you can copy from one to the other as your heart desires. GF's 7 year old compaq had the correct wiring.

© Editor in perpertuity-so git yr chawing hands orf moi words or ask nicely.

26/04/2007 at 16:48
Thanks everyone
Sorry if this sounds like an idiot question, would I be better off replacing the cd drive instead of the dvd one? nothing wrong with either I just want to be able to burn DVD's as I have a lot of data on this machine
26/04/2007 at 18:54
Monstyr wrote
...would I be better off replacing the cd drive instead of the dvd one? nothing wrong with either I just want to be able to burn DVD's as I have a lot of data on this machine

Yes.

Your DVD ROM drive should be able to read CDs as well as DVDs so you can happily get rid of the CD drive. Just check the one you take out to see whether it's set to MASTER or SLAVE and set the replacement the same .

You can have one or two drives on an IDE channel. If there's just one has to be MASTER. If there are two, one has to be MASTER the other has to be SLAVE. It doesn't matter which is which as long as they aren't both set the same.

"You cannot prove the nonexistence of God; you just have to take it on faith." Woody Allen

++?????++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR. REDO FROM START.
Your say
email image
7 messages