87 posts / 0 new
Last post
Recommend a giant trailie...

Got a test ride on a KTM adventure 950 coming up...£7500ish new

What else should be considered ?

BMW1150GS s/hand £5500ish
Aprilia Caponord new £5200ish
Suzuki V strom new £5500 ish

Seems the KTM is a lot more expensive than the competition but to me looks better

Fe fi fo fum.....is that my coat ?

They are all wank!HTH

adamski wrote

They are all wank!HTH

scared of me on a BM GS aren't ya

Couch Commando wrote

scared of me BumMing your GSxr aren't ya

Nope

The GS - the original and the best.

gs or the tiger

Tiger most grunt

Couch Commando wrote

Got a test ride on a KTM adventure 950 coming up...£7500ish newWhat else should be considered ?BMW1150GS s/hand £5500ishAprilia Caponord new £5200ishSuzuki V strom new £5500 ishSeems the KTM is a lot more expensive than the competition but to me looks better

...where is the CapoNord at £5200????

Blimey, show me a s/h GS1150 for 5.5k and I'll beat you in the race for it!A GS1100 maybe.

Big Nige wrote

Blimey, show me a s/h GS1150 for 5.5k and I'll beat you in the race for it!

Very much what I was thinking. At least 6 g's for a high miler - 6.5-7 for anything with sub-20k on the clock.

Get a V-strom, a set of TLR heads and injectors, let me map it....hehe 120hp dirtbike anyone?

I used to have a Varadero and I thought it was shit hot, just a bit thirsty, aparently they've sorted that with the new one. Build quality was good, comfort was excellent and the pillion seat, I am told, was second to none (and we tried all of the above mentioned apart from the KTM).I have been all through these type of bikes and I think I will be getting another Varadero next year when I can afford the latest one.

My money'd be on the Bemer.

Being as you will be selling it within 2 weeks, the best thing you can do is get the beemer, that will have the best resale value.

Nobby wrote

Being as you will be selling it within 2 weeks, the best thing you can do is get the beemer, that will have the best resale value.

Why would he want to sell it so soon? Make your point!

mmmm BMW GS thats where my money would be going!edit: but I just found a pic of the KTM and damn!!!www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~koila/cgi-bin/piccgi.cgi?2-rad03:6:3

The new BMW GS looks a bit tasty.www.bmwclubscottishsection.org.uk/product_news.htm

Oh my god I must be getting old. I like the look of that.

Big Nige wrote

The new BMW GS looks a bit tasty.

The major new features of the new GS can't be seen on the pic. The only reason it looks cool is 'cos it has a Touratech ORYX bodykit grafted on (alternative kit for the F650 Dakar chassis).You know I'm right.

...tasty you say?

'as noice. Ow much are they then?

In desert / enduro trim.

WTF is that?

The old XT600E isn't bad, they have been discontinued so can be picked up cheap now......

Above is a 650 GS trimmed by touratech.Of course you should get a Beemer, the KTM looks uncomfortable IMHO.See below

brownie wrote

WTF is that?

It's an F650 Dakar with a full factory racing chassis / subframe and COOL plastics. There are alos niceties such as race gearing / exhaust, twin projector headlights and a full Rallye cockpit setup (complete w/roadbook, GPS and computer).Want one.

Nope, I'm off for a spliff and a lie down.:smoke:

Commuter 100 - perfect example of the limits of a GS's offroad capability... Forget all this "big trailie" nonsense and get yerself an XR650, like me! Then you can ride with the big boys off-road! (But we can't cross continents like you can...)

no, no, no, no, no.Sir wants a nice TDM he does.It's the only one of the above you can put vaguely decent rubber on. Drop an R6 front wheel straight in and you can put some VERY decent tyres on it.Tony, you're most welcome to a go sometime.

windychris wrote

Sir wants a nice TDM he does.

TRAILIE TDM riders, they're all the same.

POB/London wrote

TRAILIE TDM riders, they're all the same.

I know how CC rides, and was basing my recommendation on that.

POB/London wrote

The major new features of the new GS can't be seen on the pic. The only reason it looks cool is 'cos it has a Touratech ORYX bodykit grafted on (alternative kit for the F650 Dakar chassis).You know I'm right.

Yeah POB looks fecking lovely.I'd love an Adventure or a 650 Dakar. I loikes trailies I do I'll never have enough money to get one like but still...

Tony,I have a 650 Dakar as well mate.Next time, you are dead welcome to a day out on it.

You git!I don't have other bikes on my insurance dude might have to get that seen to though eh?I would love a go! just looked and they want nearly 5k new, just over 4k 2nd hand.

They do hold their value well I must say.Recommended mate, great bikes.Minewww.bignige.com/Dakar3.JPG

Do you notice the lack of horses when riding them?I guess a lot of it is made up in torque though?Your bike looks lovely I want it Maybe something I can set my sights on for the future eh

GSXTone wrote

Do you notice the lack of horses when riding them?I guess a lot of it is made up in torque though?Your bike looks lovely I want it Maybe something I can set my sights on for the future eh

Sounds like a sewing machine though

Big Nige wrote

The new BMW GS looks a bit tasty.www.bmwclubscottishsection.org.uk/product_news.htm

Always makes me larf does MCN - since when have the R259 Boxers had a 'pressed steel spine frame'????Tossers.

GSXTone wrote

Not really...only on fast A roads do you tend to notice a lack of puff.It'll pootle up to an indicated 120 which ain't too shabby (prolly really about 105 or so)V comfortable too....it just kinda floats over bumps and humps.Nice.

Big Nige wrote

Not really...only on fast A roads do you tend to notice a lack of puff.

Have you been out cruising again Nige?

You be the construction worker, I'll be the red indian.

PMSL @ "decent rubber" and "armchair which won't corner" commentsYou really have no idea. Lost count of the number of sportsbike riders, even this year, I've goaded in to rash "my nobisbig really" type manoevures with a GS's cornering ability

Dodgy Geezer wrote

You really have no idea. Lost count of the number of sportsbike riders, even this year, I've goaded in to rash "my nobisbig really" type manoevures with a GS's cornering ability

[YAWN] Ze GS owerz club ist ztrong here, no?

iriejohn wrote

GS's are porky. [b]This goes round corners [/B]

True, but is it comfy / reliable / heavy in a way that only Teutonically-engineered behemoths can be?I SINK NOT!(BTW, nice bike mate. Not as useful as my XR though )

GS's go round corners just fine too. Ask Yorick or Whitebird, neither notably slow ridersBest bike in the world at everything? Absolutely not, I would never claim that.As good at cornering on the road as pretty much any sportsbike you care to mention, damn right. And on "crap" rubber which costs 150 quid both ends and lasts at least 7000 miles, at the same timeTough life sometimes. As the ZX-7R rider who's arse I handed him on a plate on the Watford ring road this mroning could confirm

DG - I like them a lot mate, don't get me wrong... but as an alternative road bike, like you say. They only vaguely become an off-roader with shit-loads of cash thrown at them. And even then, I wouldn't want to take one off gravel roads.The F650 Dakar? Now that's something I could work with...The Giant Tralie fad is nothing more than that - a fad. People will always buy a versatile, fun and useful bike, but their popularity's gone thru the roof. Things like the V-Strom take it too far I reckon.

iriejohn wrote

If you want to be "... As good at cornering [b]on the road as pretty much any sportsbike" then why bother?But if you want to go round the outside, go up the inside, outbrake, wheely, stoppie ... now that's another matter [/B]

www.bignige.com/bngallery/vids/clip29.asfWatch it and weep...

Dodgy Geezer wrote

As good at cornering [b]on the road as pretty much any sportsbike you care to mention, damn right. And on "crap" rubber which costs 150 quid both ends and lasts at least 7000 miles, at the same time[/B]

Ask anyone on the Easter tour how well a GS handles, these bikes can boogie, oh yes

iriejohn wrote

It's yet [b]another 200kg armchair that won't go round corners and that you can't pick up when you drop it. And the plastics'll cost a load to replace too! [/B]

The original hooligans bike didn't get its name for nothing mate. I was very impressed with it and I'm glad it had the hard plastic head protectors and as for picking them up, they are very well balanced and I personally found it quite easy

Follow Visordown

Latest Bike News

Crash Media Group
Visordown is part of the CMG Full Throttle Network© : welcoming over 3 million consumers each month