MCE Insurance - Dirty Tricks

1 to 20 of 28 messages
15/04/2011 at 17:40
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd see if anyone else has had these sinful acts thrust upon them.

I took bike insurance out with MCE on the 8th April 2011. The cost was £142, I pay monthly so it was going to cost me £176 in total. I purchased this cover online and received policy docs through email.

Seven days later I get my instalments / credit agreement telling me I now have to pay £193.86.

I could have gone mental, wait I did. So using the number on the top of MCE's letter, was I put through to MCE? Nope - the insurer. They said, "no good talking to us, speak to MCE". I thought I was as it was MCE's cover letter, stating there address and signed MCE.

Oh well, so I spoke to MCE eventually and the guy said, yes its crap that they have done that but I'll put you through to customer services... ring.. ring..ring.. 20 mins later I hungup. Tried next day, same happened, tried next day, same happened. So I sent them an email, haven't heard back yet.

So my question is, have the **** at MCE tried this on with anyone else and if so what dates roughly did this happen.

Cheers
Danny
15/04/2011 at 17:59
I have heard of a few companies trying this out. Not good!
19/04/2011 at 13:58

Doesn't surprise me - insurance is scam-central.

19/04/2011 at 16:43
They're all cnuts.

What you have to do is write them a letter and send it by recorded delivery. Say you've passed the case onto the financial ombudsman service and they've agreed to take it on. Google "Insurance code of conduct" as well and list in the letter whatever they're in breach of i.e. lack of communication, conflicting billing etc..

You should get a call back the next day
15/05/2011 at 15:13
YES !!!! i know exactly what you mean , MCE what a bunch of incompetent ar**holes. I spent 45minutes going through the cover in detail including some mods on the bike , got a quote .....thought great sorted . What a surprise got my credit agreement through (still no policy docs yet ) and the quote was different !!! rang the number given on the paperwork only to be cut off, transfered and generally treated like sh*t.
After 4-5 days of ringing and getting nowhere fast got the policy documents through they stated no modifications, and I was insured with a company in Copenhagen ! not to mention the balance paid so far as £0.00 when i had paid the deposit on the intial set up phone call.
Eventually got a complaints number from MCE website, which was incorrect but managed to speak to a manager in the call centre who was very apologetic, and said everything would be sorted out and new documents would be sent out , which i have not yet recieved ! I will be taking them to the Financial ombudsmen if i don't get any joy NEVER AGAIN will i insure with MCE or Bike insurer this has been the worst experience with an insurer in 30 + years of riding !!!
15/05/2011 at 19:13

I have always found Carole Nash to be the best.  Especially if you have a couple of bikes.  They always throw in AA breakdown and europe cover for nothing.

SP1 and CB750 for £120.

18/05/2011 at 16:20

ere badbusa 1, maybe they just dont like geordies......with stretched busa's and lots of pointy bits....

21/05/2011 at 20:13
i know where i would like to put the pointy bits !!!!!
22/05/2011 at 20:52
I lasted 7 days with mce be for i cancelled my policy. Got the email, wrong detail's phoned and was put on hold, laughed at by a so called supervisor put back on hold and generally treat like shit for over an hour until i lost it and cancelled my policy costing me 45 quid!!! what a joke i'll never use them again. swinton seem to be the best for me. shop on the high street polite, friendly staff with competitive prices!
instant cover notes to.
25/11/2011 at 15:50

Wish I'd read this about MCE earlier - awful...

I had an MCE policy on one bike running for 3 months ( Annual premium £148 )

Then I bought another bike - MCE wanted £280 EXTRA premium  ( so total £428 to cover both!)

I went elsewhere and got multibike cover including both bikes for

*under £300*

But MCE have now charged £100+ to cancel the policy - Disgraceful - be Warned - rip-off - Don't Buy !!

(Just to make sure they really rip you off good ..MCE use an 0871 number on phone calls - Avoid by using the 'sayNoto0870' site for alternatives

05/07/2012 at 19:48
I cancelled my policy with them just git a bill fir 257 pound trying to ring phone kept going dead 2 hours i been trying and still nothing there idiots if they think in paying it as in there t & c it says its 50 pound for cancellation fee .was reading further and it said i had to send them a copy of my proc and cbt or my insurance is void .well I've been with them four month and I've not sent anything off so in hoping to use the my insurance is void because of this .and dnt have to pay it ,I've already blocked them taking anything out my account.
28/12/2012 at 19:25

MCE is by far the worst insurance. Not only did my insurance documents arrive only after bombarding them for two weeks with emails and phone calls, but now my policy has been cancelled with 1 day notice without giving any explanation nor the option to contact someone after 6pm.
After having been insured with MCE for 2.5 months, fighting with unfriendly call centre staff, being terrorised with automatic phone calls during my work time and receiving no reply to any emails, I am now rewarded with a refund of 50% of my initial premium and 1 day to find for another insurance.
The letter which informed me about the cancellation of my policy by the 29th December 2012 has been written on Saturday 22nd December, then gathering dust in some office over the weekend and Christmas holidays and was received tonight after getting home from work.
The only conclusion I can draw from this is that MCE randomly cancels policies for no other reason than taking more money (premium of six months is kept after insuring the customer for not even 3) and delivering less service.

31/12/2012 at 18:46

Phone them back, but tell them you want to speak to the Managing Director - you work for Interflora and wish to clarify the address on a rose delivery.

Works every time.

31/12/2012 at 19:17

Insurance companies used to be reputable organisations but no longer. Also, because it is so cut-throat competitive they have cut back on staff levels so if you actually need to speak to a human being you could be in for a long, and sometimes expensive, wait on the phone. I am limited to companies that do multi bike policies as I have several bikes. I used to be insured with Footman James for several years, but a couple of years ago they suddenly wanted to lump a huge increase on me even though I was a long standing customer who had NEVER made a claim. I am now with ebike and everything is done online. I can do my own policy changes which generally go without charge. You do have to read all the small print though. My policy stated breakdown recovery was included, but it was only after needing them earlier this year that I discovered they have a max cost that you are covered for and I had to fork out for the difference. I have now taken out seperate breakdown cover as I travel all over the UK with my work. It seems whichever company you investigate they all have as many bad reviews as good.

01/01/2013 at 16:45

Good post Mark. Good info.

06/01/2013 at 14:27
MrBungle72 wrote (see)

I have always found Carole Nash to be the best.  Especially if you have a couple of bikes.  They always throw in AA breakdown and europe cover for nothing.

SP1 and CB750 for £120.

I've been with Carole Nash for years too.  My first insurer was ebike, they f***ed me about and I've been with CN since with no problems.

Remember: The rubber side goes down 

03/05/2013 at 15:32

I contacted the ombudsman after a month of no paperwork...they soon moved fast

04/05/2013 at 20:24

Be careful when you get the contract or credit agreement, that you will be asked to sign..think of this as your gold watch you are putting up to get the credit, you may offer to pay the full remuneration upon receipt of your gold watch...You wont get it, as they use this legal instrument to sell thus double bubble, in effect they trade with your gold watch!

When you pay and when you have paid up you are entitled to your contract back, just as you would be your watch, if not you may report this to the ombudsman as this is fraud...and common practice.

05/08/2013 at 12:33

I am with ebike and found them good emailed them about my ncd and sorted straight away.  And we're very helpfull when my bike got stolen and recoved. And will stay with them For a 4th year with the price is right.

08/08/2013 at 19:49

I've been with Aquote for a number of years. Never had to make a claim, and renewed again in May of this year for a fully comp premium of around £150 against my ZZR600.

However, in July I bought a new bike - a VFR800 - and promptly cancelled my premium and went with another insurer for my VFR. Today, I recieved a letter from Aquote to say that the charge for cancelling my policy comes in at around £160!!! (broken down it comes to £65 cancellation fee, £26 motor legal protection and another 70 quid for "insurer charge for period of cover"!!!!!)

I accept the £65 cancellation fee because that's what it says in therir T&Cs, but the other two charges are absolute bollards! Plus I should be entitled to a 60% refund. 

So from that £160 they have deducted the cost of my premium, but I still own then another 15 quid! Which I find appalling. These charges are way over-inflated, more so given that all it takes is for some bloke behind a keyboard to update a compter record in the space of a minute or two.

Gits

1 to 20 of 28 messages