Insurance question - cover for riding other bikes?

1 to 20 of 33 messages
24/10/2006 at 17:31
Yes I know it's been asked before but Search isn't giving up the goods on this one...

Does your insurance policy cover riding other bikes? I'm trying to find one that does at the moment. My MCE one does, but Bennetts and eBike don't (which is probably why their quotes are so much cheaper).

Got any alternatives for me to try?

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.That is why God made fast motorcycles Bubba..."

SSSD, Zen#666, TiT#36A, TWO#A/600, VDTD14(Int), VDCR 666, Biatch #6

Upload Video and Images - Putfile
Secure your stuff: Almax
Tyres: Essential Rubber
24/10/2006 at 17:32
oh plus another question - I think with a policy that covers other bikes you're only covered to ride bikes up to the CC of the bike you have insured - is that right?

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.That is why God made fast motorcycles Bubba..."

SSSD, Zen#666, TiT#36A, TWO#A/600, VDTD14(Int), VDCR 666, Biatch #6

Upload Video and Images - Putfile
Secure your stuff: Almax
Tyres: Essential Rubber
OB
24/10/2006 at 17:38
1) all my Equity Redstar policies through MotorcycleDirect HAVE covered me for any other bike.

2) none have had mention of capacity.

24/10/2006 at 17:41
Carole Nash cover me third party only on any bike I'm licenced to ride, which is any bike, no matter what capacity or insurance grouping.

I see a boundary. I eat that boundary and wash it down with a steaming hot cup of rules...
Race reports and pics at - www.nakedracingproject.com
Supporting the Greenpeace Esperanza's anti-whaling expedition to the Pacific.
24/10/2006 at 17:44
I just insured with Devitt, who provide 'other bike' cover as standard. No limitations on capacity, just need the permission of its owner

They worked out cheaper then eBike and Bennetts, and I also got a free Oxford Boss Alarm Disc Lock...

Sponsored by
http://www.nyrrsc.net/logosite.jpg

24/10/2006 at 17:57
Wingnut wrote
Carole Nash cover me third party only on any bike I'm licenced to ride, which is any bike, no matter what capacity or insurance grouping.

You must have told some porkies to get away with that.

24/10/2006 at 17:59
Skub wrote
You must have told some porkies to get away with that.

No, but I have to tell porkies to owners of other bikes if I want to ride them

I see a boundary. I eat that boundary and wash it down with a steaming hot cup of rules...
Race reports and pics at - www.nakedracingproject.com
Supporting the Greenpeace Esperanza's anti-whaling expedition to the Pacific.
ST4
24/10/2006 at 19:01
Don't forget that the other bike must also be insured by its owner to be fully road legal.
OB
24/10/2006 at 19:02
ST2 wrote
Don't forget that the other bike must also be insured by its owner to be fully road legal.

It doesn't say that in my policy anywhere.

ST4
24/10/2006 at 19:14
You'd be legally insured to ride it, in other words if there was an accident the third party would get paid out. But if the bike itself is not insured then it can't legally be on the road.
24/10/2006 at 19:17
ST2 wrote
You'd be legally insured to ride it, in other words if there was an accident the third party would get paid out. But if the bike itself is not insured then it can't legally be on the road.

So, if there is a law being broken, who is breaking it?

Spill counter
2006:
2005:
2004:
2003:
OB
24/10/2006 at 19:17
ST2 wrote

Ah, hence producing insurance for tax disk. I see.

24/10/2006 at 19:18
OB wrote
It doesn't say that in my policy anywhere.

Nor mine, but i have seen something like that written on a mates policy

Spill counter
2006:
2005:
2004:
2003:
24/10/2006 at 19:20
OB wrote
Ah, hence producing insurance for tax disk. I see.

I always though you had to show your insurance because taxing your bike was good opportinity for a 'producer' of sorts, no?

Spill counter
2006:
2005:
2004:
2003:
24/10/2006 at 19:22
Red - it's a clause that not all policies have automatically, and it depends on the UNDERWRITER of the police as to whether it'll have it or not.

ZENITH are bastards who NEVER have it.
EquityRedstar often have it and do most of the others.

It's always a good idea to ask for it specifically when talking to the BROKER.

Great Prophet of Veedism.
non quod sed quomodo
"BBQ fluid is a sweaty one night stand compared to the long term relationship of a properly burning wood fire."
Cool in a fuddy-duddy old fart kinda way - Wingnut
ST4
24/10/2006 at 19:24
Lloyd_christmas wrote
So, if there is a law being broken, who is breaking it?

I guess the registered owner is breaking the law by allowing an unisured vehicle to be on the road.
24/10/2006 at 19:33
ST2 wrote
I guess the registered owner is breaking the law by allowing an unisured vehicle to be on the road.

This is the bit i would like clarifying. Granted, the owners losses would not be covered in the event of an accident, but that is their risk.

Let's say you are insured on bike X and then buy a new bike, bike Y, and transfer your insurance across onto that.
If what has been said is true, how can you legally offer a potential buyer a test ride on bike Y, assuming of course it is still taxed and MOTed?

Spill counter
2006:
2005:
2004:
2003:
24/10/2006 at 19:33
There is a policy available now that gives you comprehensive on other people's bikes at no extra cost ... 'ang on, I'll see if I can find the details. Talk amongst yourselves ...

24/10/2006 at 19:36
smallred wrote

Does your insurance policy cover riding other bikes?

My car insurance covers me 3rd party F&T on any bike (or car) not owned me, not hired, not on HP etc

My bike insurance only covers me on my bike and no other vehicle.
ST4
24/10/2006 at 21:01
Lloyd_christmas wrote
This is the bit i would like clarifying. Granted, the owners losses would not be covered in the event of an accident, but that is their risk.

Let's say you are insured on bike X and then buy a new bike, bike Y, and transfer your insurance across onto that.
If what has been said is true, how can you legally offer a potential buyer a test ride on bike Y, assuming of course it is still taxed and MOTed?

Simple answer is that you cannot! Each vehicle on the road has to have insurance before it is allowed on the road, plus each driver has to be insured to drive that particular vehicle. If you own the bike then your own insurance covers both the bike and yourself plus any named drivers.

To make the scenario above legal the prospective buyer will have to take out his own insurance policy for the bike in question. If you allow him to ride it without such a policy in place then you are committing an offence punishable by up to nine points and quite a large fine!
1 to 20 of 33 messages