how to remove old emulsion paint from windows etc.

17 messages
09/01/2007 at 15:34
as the title says, what's the best way to remove old emulsion paint?
i'm repainting the kitchen which 'er indoors painted last. but bless her, she's clumsy as fcuk and has left the odd dab/streak of [yellow] paint in places where it shouldn't be - like bits on the UPVC window frame, on the side of the gas boiler etc.how the heck do you get it off without getting all abrasive with it? it's too hard to scrape off with your finger nail, and i don't want to use anything too invasive like solvent etc.

i like that, turn it up.
09/01/2007 at 15:38
mike wilde wrote
as the title says, what's the best way to remove old emulsion paint?
i'm repainting the kitchen which 'er indoors painted last. but bless her, she's clumsy as fcuk and has left the odd dab/streak of [yellow] paint in places where it shouldn't be - like bits on the UPVC window frame, on the side of the gas boiler etc.how the heck do you get it off without getting all abrasive with it? it's too hard to scrape off with your finger nail, and i don't want to use anything too invasive like solvent etc.

Well emulsion is water based, so I'd guess sponging hot water on it would get it soft enough to pick.

To prevent damage always pick with a material softer then the surface you're picking from.

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/4;10714;109/st/20081225/e/Christmas+Day%21/dt/5/k/3241/event.png

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Taipan.png

I'd go at it gently with a razor blade to get most of it off and then some jif with a cloth.

Well figured it was time to get rid of the red cross.
Razor blade?

Bugger, just beaten to it....

TSSC#7
09/01/2007 at 15:42
Razor blade on UPVC? Careful

Try steam/hot water then fingernails.

VDDC#6FM
DSMB deployment expert

Ho Ho Ho! Have I Got A Surprise For You! :smoke:
09/01/2007 at 15:44
pajr777 wrote
Razor blade on UPVC? Careful

Try steam/hot water then fingernails.

I did say gently

Well figured it was time to get rid of the red cross.
09/01/2007 at 15:46
I'd avoif Jif too - he can be quite abrasive at times

VDDC#6FM
DSMB deployment expert

Ho Ho Ho! Have I Got A Surprise For You! :smoke:
09/01/2007 at 16:22
Emulsion paint is the worst thing as it is insoluble, and once the water it is mixed with has evaporated is out it sticks like shit and won't emulsify again. That's why it's OK to use out doors. You can soften it though. On an impervious surface you should be able to get it off. The gentlest way IMO would be to apply a wet cloth to it, seal the cloth over with with polythene and masking tape and leave it for a few hours. Time works wonders. If you haven't got that sort of patience steaming or lots of hot water would do it.

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v168/206/11/676689638/s676689638_331243_7767.jpg

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Half of what I say is meaningless.

09/01/2007 at 16:27
echus wrote
I'd go at it gently with a razor blade to get most of it off and then some jif with a cloth.

Cif now.

Stooopid name.
09/01/2007 at 16:31
mike wilde wrote
i'm repainting the kitchen which 'er indoors painted last. but bless her, she's clumsy as fcuk and has left the odd dab/streak of [yellow] paint in places where it shouldn't be - like bits on the UPVC window frame, on the side of the gas boiler etc.

Not that old one

It's the same as dropping a few plates to get out of doing the washing up in future.

Give her a slap and tell her to sort it herself.

Teach her to be more careful the next time

Admin: Please can I have an irony smiley for use in posts such as these?

One day the quote function will work for me again - and todays the day!!!!!
09/01/2007 at 16:33
echus wrote

Stanley blade held in your hand - using the whole sharp edge to scrape with - works well - there's a little tool you can buy to mount it flat for scraping, but hand-held works. As above, finish off with a cloff.
09/01/2007 at 16:34
some good ideas there, cheers guys, i'll try the heat/soften technique later.

i like that, turn it up.
09/01/2007 at 16:41
hot water.

Woman: without her, man is nothing.
Woman without her man, is nothing.
09/01/2007 at 17:00
Greenzeph wrote
hot water.

I think she's in it already.
09/01/2007 at 18:12
nitromors

.............Sam

trust me! im a druid
www.bikerforum.co.uk/
09/01/2007 at 18:28
If you are repainting it don't get too anal (etc etc) about removing the lot, just take it back to a nicely primed surface, finish off with paper and use your fingers to determine the quality of the finish. I knew a Finnish girl once.

boom boom.

x

09/01/2007 at 18:32

Your say
email image
17 messages